Who here drinks just one 5oz glass of wine / night?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Some sites are saying that a serving of red wine can actually be healthy for your heart. (but not more).
    Daily serving:
    5 ounces of wine
    12 ounces of beer
    1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits, such as vodka
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/wine-how-much-is-good-for-you#2

I would like to know how you control not having more? A mind trick? I had 5 ounces last night and it was a joke. I wanted more. Could it be that I bought the cheap walmart stuff for $4?
    Who drinks only one serving, tell me how?

Lots and lots and lots of people. Many just have a glass with dinner or the like.

I was not consistently good at it, which is why I don't currently drink, but it's hardly a "no one could do this" kind of thing.
  • tanya10166
    tanya10166 Posts: 15 Member
    You can get the same antioxidant benefit from other nonalcoholic sources. If you can't stop at one serving don't drink it.(easier said than done) Unfortunately, any benefit is negated after the minuscule serving.
    Yeah...I need to take my own advice I don't drink it for health benefits but try budget into my big 1200 calorie a day diet.
    Always goes back to moderation.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I am not a big drinker, but I may have a glass of wine every couple of weeks. My friend was laughing at me the other day because I said I had 2 oz of wine. It was all I wanted and I was good. If I am drinking alcohol I am not measuring at all. I pour then drink, but I do not drink that much either.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    I have 2 glasses on a Fri and Sat night, nothing the rest of the week, I can fit it in my calorie goals and enjoy the taste and slight buzz I get (I'm a cheap date now I've lost weight!)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited July 2017
    I measure out 5 ounces most nights (I have a terrible eye for portions) and enjoy it slowly after dinner. I like the taste of the wine itself and don't like feeling buzzed so I'm not tempted to pour another glass unless we're eating out and splitting a bottle over a 2 hour dinner (rarely).

eta: If you can't limit yourself to the amount you intend, then it might be a good idea to give drinking daily a pass. If it's a calorie issue, save up the calories for a splurge with a nice bottle on the weekends. If it's a hard-to-moderate-the-alcohol issue, abstaining is probably best. I don't have any special trick for sticking to one glass, it's just a natural limit for me, so I can't offer any more insight than this is how it works for me.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    We stopped drinking daily when we started counting calories. We do drink a couple beers or vodka & sodas on date night or with friends, but that's once a week or so. It helps that I like wine best, but can't drink it anymore because it triggers my rosacea.
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    I'm a 2-glass drinker every time I have wine. One just doesn't cut it for me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I drink none or bottles if I'm at home. Can do 1 glass when at a restaurant.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Looooove red wine. We used to have it every night with dinner... and then with dessert. But I cut it to 1 glass every few weeks with Italian style dinners and just make sure it's a worthy bottle (for only having one serving).
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    When I was really losing weight I would measure it and take the smallest sips I could. Now anything goes. Although I've been trying to lose my midsection fat so I have been limiting again stupid wine why do you have to be so delicious
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I can easily limit my consumption to 1 beer or 1 glass of wine, but then I'm not a big drinker. I have one beer with supper out with friends every Friday night. I can also take it or leave it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i don't drink. no special reason except it doesn't interest me.

with that said, i do sometimes drink a mixture of red wine and orange juice. so if you can afford the calories in the juice that could be one way of spinning out your 5 oz.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    I just sip it slowly and alternate with water or something and make it last 30 min if I can
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I really don't have too many issues with limiting myself to 1 glass of wine a day. Since I don't really love the tipsy feeling that comes with consuming too much, it works for me. I actually control it better than my dessert portions, heh.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    @dragon_girl26 So it's a staple in your home every night? Your home opens a bottle nightly? If I open a bottle, I know my husband would guzzle down the rest of bottle that night.
    I simply do not understand how households do this. Just one 5oz glass? I'm so lost in understanding.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    I would drink one glass with dinner, but it seems like a waste opening a bottle for one glass. Now my sister works for a Winery in Napa Valley and she says the new boxed wines are really really good and can stay fresh from 3 to 6 months. I'm going to have to try them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    I might have an alcoholic beverage once or twice a year at Christmas or an anniversary or something. I probably fall into the "No one should start drinking if they don't already drink" category.

Calories
    Rosacea
    The fact that it just makes me tired
    The cost factor

If I ever figure I need antioxidants, I'll get them from chocolate. :grin:
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I have two glasses of wine per night. I am in the wine business, so this is less than most in my biz.

@newmeadow...who says that we all drink "cheapskate?" Tonight, the wine I had was $40 a bottle. Not cheapskate.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    i don't drink. no special reason except it doesn't interest me.

with that said, i do sometimes drink a mixture of red wine and orange juice. so if you can afford the calories in the juice that could be one way of spinning out your 5 oz.

Quote:I don't drink
    Quote:I do sometimes drink.

Can't have it both ways, either you do or you don't.
    This coming from someone who did drink, and now does not drink...ever.