How much weight are you trying to lose each week?

serendipity22
serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
There is the option of .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 pounds of weight loss a week. I'm starting with the 1 pound a week amount of calories while I get used to eating healthy. I may change it to 1.5 or 2 pounds later.

Replies

• fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    I started with 2 lbs and I felt it was not doable at all. So I dropped down to 1 lbs and I feel sooo much better with the calories.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    For now I am doing 1.5 pounds per week. It is hard, but most days I manage. I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week but it just was not enough calories for me. I have a lot to lose so 1.5 per week works for me.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Anything haha
    1-1.5lbs would make me a happy bunny though. 22 weeks until Christmas, would like to be nearer my goal by then lol
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I set it to 1 a week, but some weeks I lose 0.5 or none, a lot of weeks I lose 1, sometimes I lose 2 after a couple weeks of none, and then I'm all woo-hoo!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I set it to 1 a week, but some weeks I lose 0.5 or none, a lot of weeks I lose 1, sometimes I lose 2 after a couple weeks of none, and then I'm all woo-hoo!

Just an FYI- this is normal. Your weekly weight loss goal is an average. Sometimes you'll lose more, sometimes less, sometimes you'll show gains (water weight fluctuation).
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Average 1-2 lbs!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    1-2lbs
  • oksit9
    oksit9 Posts: 1 Member
    1-1.5
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    A doctor (who was encouraging me to lose weight) encouraged me to go at about .5 lbs a week for healthy, sustainable weight loss and that seems to be what works for me. I've got a lot to lose and have done some yoyo dieting in the past so I'm into this new method.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    I have the two pounds and actually been feeling great!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    OP, knowing people's goals isn't really helpful without knowing their individual stats. @middlehaitch 's chart is good general guidance.

I am 5'9", 210 lbs and have 40 lbs left to lose to get to a healthy BMI. My goal is set at 1 lb/week (1560 calories). When I started on MFP, I was 245 with a goal of 1.5. You are smart to go with a calorie level you are comfortable with. Everyone wants to get the weight off as fast as possible, but in the long run, sustainability is more beneficial than speed. :)
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I have mine set to 1.5 I recently got a fitbit so im trying to adjust to eating what it tells me too, I've been losing more lately (this week 3lbs, last week 2.4) so I need to start eating more of my adjustment back and see how that goes for a few weeks.