Recipes with ground flax seed?

annakay1
annakay1 Posts: 3 Member
I'm looking for recipes to add ground flax seed into. Something more than just adding it into a smoothie. Possibly substituting in baked goods?

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I use flax seeds in all kinds of things. I add them to pancake batter, waffle batter, homemade breads, into my oatmeal, on top of cereal, I have used as part of a bread crumb mixture for meatloafs, coatings for chicken, etc. You really don't taste it and it easily blends in with any kind of grain type product.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    If you are baking, you can probably put some in almost anything you make. I like to make flax seed crackers. I use a mixture of whole and ground flax seeds, water, and whatever seasonings I feel like; mix it all together; flatten it out on parchment paper; and dehydrate in the oven (170 deg F for a couple of hours and then overnight with the door open) - use as little water as you can to make the dry ingredients cohesive, that decreases the dehydration time.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I have some ground flax seed awaiting my exhaustion of my supply of flax seed. I add the flax seed to my homemade wheat bread at the rate of 1 oz per loaf per week. I like the macros, but I don't like the tooth clutter. Soon I will bake my weekly bread with 1 oz ground flax seed, get all the macros I like, and none of the tooth clutter I don't. The basic bread recipe makes no mention of flax seed. I just arbitrarily added it to see what would happen. It made bread with flax seeds. I figure the next version will be bread with ground flax seeds.
  • annakay1
    Thanks! I didn't know if adding it to a recipe I already like would alter the results at all and I don't want to waste ingredients. The crackers sound delish! I've bought crackers that sound similar to that but making them myself sounds so much better
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I make a hot cereal out of it - 2T coconut flour (or 2T almond flour), 2 T milled flax seed, and 1T protein powder. Add hot water to desired consistency. It's similar to Cream of Wheat, but low in carbs, high in fiber. I like it plain, but you can add whatever flavor you want - cinnamon, brown sugar, nuts, peanut butter, etc.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    You can also substitute regular eggs for flax eggs in recipes that use eggs as a binding agent (1 part ground flax seed and 3 parts water).
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Just a warning- flax seed can have a hormonal effect of some people. A couple years ago I was making these great mug muffins with 1/4 cup of flax meal and ate one every day for like 6 weeks. After 3-4 weeks I was noticing fairly extreme hormonal symptoms. If it wasn't impossible, I would have thought I was pregnant. It was the only thing that had changed in my diet, so it was easy to pin down and cleared up a few weeks off the flax. I did some reading, and flax is used for menopausal women, etc. in natural medicine. I may just have a sensitivity to it, but just a heads-up if you are eating large quantities.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I like to sneak it into anything that uses breadcrumbs. So in with the meatloaf, the breading for chicken cutlets, etc.

I also eat flax "plain" sometimes. You can put it in a bowl with water, cook it like oatmeal, then sweeten it a little bit to your taste. The texture is a little slimey but not horrid.
  • annakay1
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    Just a warning- flax seed can have a hormonal effect of some people. A couple years ago I was making these great mug muffins with 1/4 cup of flax meal and ate one every day for like 6 weeks. After 3-4 weeks I was noticing fairly extreme hormonal symptoms. If it wasn't impossible, I would have thought I was pregnant. It was the only thing that had changed in my diet, so it was easy to pin down and cleared up a few weeks off the flax. I did some reading, and flax is used for menopausal women, etc. in natural medicine. I may just have a sensitivity to it, but just a heads-up if you are eating large quantities.

Thank you for this information. I don't eat large quantities but I will defiantly keep this in mind if I notice any weird hormonal changes
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,113 Member
    I add a tablespoon or two into spaghetti sauce. No one notices any flavor difference and we get our Omega 3's :)
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    I add it into my oats, cookies, hamburger meat..like others said, most baked goods
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Just don't consume too much...it has quite the laxative affect.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Peanut butter balls: 1/2 cup ground flax, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup pb, 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup. Form balls and freeze. Yummy! Kids love them!
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    I mix it with my Greek yogurt