July Mini Challenge?

Replies

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Thanks, @5n00py!
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Disappointingly, Weigh-In Wednesday revealed no loss but maintaining at 175.6 lbs this morning. I am going to push extra hard to lose next week!
  • brittdee88
    You've got this, @kdavid1987!
  • brittdee88
    Quick check-in:
    SW: 156.8 lbs
    CW: 153.8 lbs

I am now starting to lose at about the 0.1kg/day rate now, so I am going to adjust my goal accordingly to 151.6 by the end of the month. I would still love to see 149, of course, but I think I need to be more realistic like @5n00py suggests. There is going to be a week every month when I will likely just maintain, so I think my monthly goals from now on will be -5lbs/-2.3kg.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Great work brittdee88!

Here's mine
    SW: 72.6 kgs (160 lbs)
    CW: 71 kg (156.5 lbs)
    TW: 69.9 kgs (154 lbs)

Hate to say it but I think I did better on my weight loss because I saved up calories for dinner at home with my husband (on Friday) and dinner out with him (Saturday) and we had to cancel both, so I just ate salad.... Not the healthiest way I guess. He is painting the house we are moving into, but then he found he actually had to make some repairs to the stairs before even painting so he's been over there about 12 hours a day or more.

I'm actually a bit worried about him because he lost about 20 lbs just by cutting out snacks, but now he's doing all this hard physical work all day long and he's eating so little, often skipping lunch because he doesn't want to leave and come back. He said he was another 4 lbs down on the scale but said it's just "water weight" but he was thin enough already, toward the low end of normal bmi.
  • 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    You ladies are doing awesome!!!! Proud of you both (even if it was a little due to planning that fell through @nevadavis1 !!) :open_mouth: Bit concerned for the hubby - might need to send him off with a cut lunch?

My CW is virtually the same as my starting weight, so this plateau is not making me an overly happy chappy..... But it is what it is and I'm steadily getting more and more healthy and fit! I'll take that for a win!!!
  • brittdee88
    How's it going in terms of inches, @5n00py?
  • kdavid1987
    @nevadavis1 Maybe you can pack him some high cal snacks like trail mix (yum!) so he has something when he is working on the house. Moving is such a stressful time but I am sure it will be worth it. @5n00py I feel you about not making progress. I was so disappointed yesterday with my weight. However, I started my period today so I can't help but wonder if that was part of it. Certainly I am not quitting now!
  • nevadavis1
    kdavid1987 wrote: »
    @nevadavis1 Maybe you can pack him some high cal snacks like trail mix (yum!) so he has something when he is working on the house.

He's being kind of stubborn to tell the truth! I bought him some protein bars but they melted, so admittedly that was gross. He doesn't want "real food" to take along because it might spoil in the heat, which is a concern, but nuts are "too fattening." and so on and so on...

He lost his weight by cutting out snacks, not counting calories. On the hand that's good for him, it was pretty simple compared to what I'm doing. On the other hand I've learned so much this way and now I know that nuts are fine and even healthy, as long as we don't overdo it and aren't taking in too many total calories. He came home the other night after a day with no lunch and I made him a big sandwich and used some vegan cheese on it. He objected because vegan cheese is "too fattening." I said "but you don't need to worry, you already lost the weight you wanted to." His response "I don't want to gain it back." But I ate some of the vegan cheese myself and I'm actively trying to lose because I figured out my calories and it fit just fine, and my calorie needs are lower than his anyway, I didn't do hard physical work like that all day, and I didn't skip lunch. But because he isn't measuring anything he gets worried about things he doesn't need to worry about. Sigh. I hope that if the numbers on the scale keep going down he'll realize he needs to eat more.
  • brittdee88
    I wish your hubby all the best, @nevadavis1. I wasn't going to say anything because I don't have a solution, but I am in a somewhat similar situation with my fiance.
    He doesn't monitor his weight or do anything to intentionally lose weight, but his appetite ebbs and flows, so he will drop and gain lots of weight in spurts. He'll go weeks barely eating and then weeks eating a bunch of junk. When he's in the non-eating phase, I always have to say something to him about it. He gets annoyed and sometimes angry, but I just know what he's doing is not healthy. He always loses 10-20 lbs in a very short period of time when he isn't eating much, and it scares me every time. And I am also scared when he gains because he doesn't do it healthily at all.
    I know at least some of this is due to his mental illness, so I try not to push too hard, but I have been trying to make him get on the scale when he's in one of those non-eating bouts so he can see just how much he loses. That usually helps push him to consciously eat a little more. It also helps that his doctor always makes a note about him needing to gain weight when he's in those bouts as well. I'm always too ashamed to admit it, but at some points, he has been significantly lighter than me. Now we're about the same weight. Maybe it would help him to know that. When/if it gets bad again, I may try that tactic. I almost wish I was still cooking for both of us for his sake. I used to put butter and cheese on everything when I wasn't vegan and there was never a concern about his weight. We both were unhealthy, of course, but at least if I was still cooking, I could ensure he got in enough calories without eating a bunch of crap. Maybe then he would stabilize. It's hard being vegan with a non-vegan partner.
    Anyway, keep us updated. Maybe we can each try different things to get it to work. Even though he isn't in the exact same situation as your husband, he did used to weigh over 200 lbs (he's ~5'3", I think), so maybe there is a similar internal struggle happening with him as is happening with your husband.
  • nevadavis1
    I hear you. My hubby is OCD, it actually helps him be awesome at his job because he makes sure everything is perfect and notices every single detail, but I feel like he'll get something stuck in his head "this is too fattening" and I just can't reason with him.

Oh, he's been lighter than I am for years! And he's four inches taller.

I'm really glad he's vegan too, but I used to cook for both of us: vegan food, but I'd fry the tofu and add lots of more caloric things like coconut milk (the canned kind, not the lower fat stuff in the carton for drinking) and sweet desserts and home baked bread with margarine.... So now we're on this health kick and I'm not doing that. The thing that is working for me is lots of salads and my go-to comfort food of beans and rice (just healthy smaller portions of it). Unfortunately he's not a big salad eater and doesn't care for beans and rice--he usually wants something that resembles "American food" like a burger or sandwich. And that's fine, because we can get the vegan ingredients for him and figure out the portions and calories... But instead he's cutting without a clear idea of how much he's cutting.

Anyway, I agree it's hard to be in a couple with a vegan and non-vegan. One of my best friends in that situation, but she found some vegan foods her husband enjoys and she makes those for both of them. Honestly if it's prepared foods like "chicken nuggets" they're decently acceptable to most non-vegans. But things like pasta marinara or you could have "assemble your own taco" so he could have what he likes, you could have what you want and share all the "fixings?"

Hopefully with your fiance getting him on the scale will help him see what he's doing?

If you cook things do you have trouble resisting them? Because there is one vegan thing that helps people gain weight and get good nutrition, though it does have sugar... It would be hard for me to not pig out on it if I made it. But anyway, you find a premade pie crust at the store (some are vegan some aren't) like a chocolate cookie kind. Then you blend up a 1 lb package of tofu, a little soy milk and 2 cups of melted chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of peanut butter... I don't measure the soymilk I just add it little by little until the mixture blends nicely-vanilla soymilk works well for this. Then pour into the piecrust and refrigerate until it gets a little less liquidy, then serve. It's a lot of sugar honestly, but so much protein, but people will eat like it's a dessert, so just saying that's one vegan thing people can definitely gain in a healthier way with. Funny, I've told this trick to so many friends who aren't vegan, and my mother who isn't vegan and they all started making it because it's pretty easy and actually tastes good. You can even leave out the peanut butter (that's what my mother does) if you're not into it--it's just the peanut butter is also good protein.
  • kdavid1987
    @brittdee88 My BF is an omnivore, too. The struggle is SO REAL.
  • 5n00py
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    How's it going in terms of inches, @5n00py?

Good thought! I often forget to check the other measures, so I broke out the tape measure just before....

My neck was 47cm at the start of last year, and 42cm at the start of May. Now down to 41cm (12.8% shrink)
    My waist was 114.5cm at the start of last year, 107cm at the start of October last year (when I started really trying to lose weight), 102cm at the start of March, 95.5cm at the start of May, and now 94cm. (11.3% shrink)
    My hips were 106cm at the start of November last year (I never thought to previously measure them!), 101cm at the start of May, and now 100.5cm. (5.2% shrink but probably more as I have no earlier measurements)

I guess they compare reasonably to the scales - 117.4kg at the start of October and 86.1kg this morning (26.66% shrink)
  • 5n00py
    It truly sounds like there are enough "challenges" is our lives every day BEFORE we even think about weight loss or coming here to check in!

Go ladies! You're so awesome!!!!
  • brittdee88
    @nevadavis1 such an informative post! Thank you SO much!!!!
    He does have a mean sweet tooth and he LOVES peanut butter, so I could easily make him something like that. I don't like peanut butter at all, so it'll be easy for me to resist. Such a great idea!

@kdavid1987 SO real, but I think Neva's idea just might work!

@5n00py great job on the loss on the scales and measurement-wise! I always have to check measurements or try on clothing when I feel like I'm not losing or I will drive myself crazy! How my clothes fit and getting stronger are what really matter to me anyway. It's just the psychological aspect of wanting to be a certain weight for me.
  • brittdee88
    No WI to report, but I have decided to adjust my goal. I am hoping to just be below 152 on July 31. 152 is the halfway point of my weight loss journey, so I would love to enter August having to lose less than what I've already lost.
    Happy Monday, everyone!
  • 5n00py
    Great plan with that adjustment @brittdee88 !!!

Like you, I'm adjusting my plan too as I have spent way too much time beating myself up.

My weight finally shuffled quite a bit further south this morning! Not sure if it is from the fresh batteries I put in the scales yesterday afternoon, or the fact that I started tracking again on Saturday after a few weeks of not tracking but just staying "sensible".

SW 86.3kg CW 85.3kg.

According to the 0.1kg per day scale, I should have been at that weight 8 days ago. BUT, I am still taking it as a win and will move my target weight to 84.7kg, and will consider getting under 85kgs in the next week as a huge win!

That would leave me with just over 2kgs (2.2kgs/4.84lbs) to go until my ultimate target weight and the "normal" BMI!!!!

After what I had been seeing in the mirror, I'm pretty happy with what this 60 year old reflection shows:
    n17czq2m21p5.jpg
  • brittdee88
    Congrats, @5n00py!
  • kdavid1987
    I don't expect any weight loss tomorrow AM but I will report back, whatever the results. I seem to have hit my first plateau! But I will figure out a way to beat it, promise (I already have some fresh ideas, mostly food related).
  • kdavid1987
    Wowee, I lied, I actually lost quite a lot this last week! 2.6 lbs to be exact as I weighed in at 173 lbs this morning!! I think I maintained last week due to my period.