Little Help Please!

So I have never had a 'plateau' I've had a week or so when I have not lost but not yet had a real plateau.

Last week I was bang on my calories until Friday/Saturday when I went over by 1377 and 1491 (I know not good!) I was 'up' from 244 to 250 on Monday. Then down to 246 Tuesday/Wednesday. Today again I am at 244.

My goal is 2 lbs a week as I am 5'4 and weigh 244lbs and MFP gives me 1290 which I manage fine on. This week so far I've hit my calories/been under.
On Tuesday I 'burned' 483 2.5 mile walk but ate half back. (Last night dinner not logged but probably over as ate out but picked best option)

3w0khxn387dc.jpg

Is the reason I 'up' a lb due to last weeks over eating and not lost any so far this week due to this? Or is it just a general 'normal' thing?

Also I read up on this even though I've not hit a plateau yet is there any truth in the following:

Why do I hit a plateau?

A plateau may occur because
Your body simply wants a 'rest' to cope with your calorie-reduction

Your calorie-intake equals your calorie expenditure - in other words you are not creating a sufficient calorie deficit to lose weight

You have reduced your calorie-intake too low. If you are not eating enough calories, your body thinks there is a 'famine' and slows down your metabolism (how fast you burn calories) in order to conserve calories.

Replies

• princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Last week I was up 6 lbs for the whole week for no real reason. Got on the scales yesterday and I was 1 lb under what I was before the scales shot up by 6 lbs. Fluctuations in weight happen. Perhaps you're eating more salt than you used to. Perhaps your digestive system is a bit backed up at the moment. For women time of the month also affects what the scales show you. So long as you are not over your maintenance (making sure you log correctly) then it is not possible to gain weight.
    Also the last bit in bold I would completely ignore. I would say for the most part people plateau because they become lax on their diet, exercise less than they used to, have lost a fair bit of weight and haven't readjusted their goals, or just don't accurately log things/ over estimate how many calories they burn off through exercise. A plateau is probably going to be from a combination of those things.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    edited July 2017
    xShreddx wrote: »
    First of all, mske sure you accurately record tour food, even little snacks and what you drink. Know calories can be off by as much as 20% too. Next, be careful with your nutrients...are you going over on sugar? Too much sugar means adding fat. Lastly, are you exercising at least 4x/week? When you exercise, don't eat it all back. Leave at least half.

Feel free to add me so we can keep moving forward.

I log everything food/drink even chewing gum! I weigh everything that needs weighed. I've currently lost 46lbs without bother about counting sugar as any food that is excess calories can cause fat.

I can't say I exercise 4 times a week, I try my best to do at least even 15 minutes of a youtube video 5 nights and weather dependant I walk. But I have always been told you dont NEED to exercise to lose weight.
    If I do any long walks I tend to not eat the calories back
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A pound here or there is just normal fluctuations. It could be TOM, extra salt, or extra exercise. Keep on your plan and see what the scale says in two weeks.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    Thanks all sometimes just posting and your comments help:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    its one week... its not a plateau till its been 6 weeks...

just keep doing what you're doing and the scale will move again.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    its one week... its not a plateau till its been 6 weeks...

just keep doing what you're doing and the scale will move again.

Yeah I know it's not a plateau yet :) might not be either I'm just gonna keep logging and wait for it to move
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    It's come up on other threads, but there are apps you can use that emphasis the trend of your loss rather than daily/weekly fluctuations. HappyScale is one I think? Something like that.

Quite a lot of people seem to find them helpful for the affirmation that a few fluctuations aren't throwing the long term trend off.
    Might be worth a look?
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    It's come up on other threads, but there are apps you can use that emphasis the trend of your loss rather than daily/weekly fluctuations. HappyScale is one I think? Something like that.

Quite a lot of people seem to find them helpful for the affirmation that a few fluctuations aren't throwing the long term trend off.
    Might be worth a look?

I think this may be an idea for me. Thanks I'll have a look into it.