Day 3 of Veganism

DesOdhi
DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
So, I went vegan. Not so much because I hate meat but more because meat (and other animal products) hates me. I've pretty much been eating the same thing everyday. A protein / fruit / chia shake & daily vitamins for breakfast & a really large amount of 1 green vegetable, a meat substitute, and a carb-y side. I work nights so I don't usually eat dinner. Contrary to popular belief, there are unhealthy vegans. I don't want to be that person. I want to eat properly even though I really only eat twice a day. Anyone have tips or recipes so that I can have longevity in this process.

Replies

• lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    I would definitely check out the recepie section here and also Pinterest! But when going vegan don't be afraid to eat a little more than usual as the foods are less calorically dense. Also the key is to be creative and make vegan soups, stirfrys, casseroles, and so on to keep things interesting! You can make healthy tacos by making beans your source of meat and swaping cheese for avocado! You'll be amazed by what foods are out there and combos you never thought you'd like. Good luck!
  • beesknees233
    beesknees233 Posts: 2 Member
    Yeah, pinterest is literally the best for vegan recipes. Also, yeah, swap the fake meats for beans or lentils and you'll have more options, and it'll be healthier (and cheaper). And there's tons of amazing things you can do with other vegetables too! Potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, etc. are all super hearty veggies. Anyway, good luck!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Eat more vegetables each day, including with dinner. Try for three portions of recognisable vegetation with dinner. There is a lot of choice out there; carrots, runner beans, broccoli, butternut squash, peas, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, generic salad leaves...

If you're having problems deciding where to increase your veg consumption or affording them, look into what is in season where you live. Googling your area plus 'seasonal produce/seasonal veg' or some variant on that will bring up suggestions for your shopping list.

If you're not keen on a vegetable, never be afraid to try lightly cooking it and mixing it in strongly flavoured canned soup as a disguise. ;)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    A can of soup with an added can of black or red beans could be a healthy "fast" meal. You can even add a bit of instant brown rice.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Do you need to make the drastic leap to veganism? Can you eat eggs or dairy? At least that will give you more options. If not, beans, grains like quinoa, rice, farro, barley, oats, as well as sweet potatoes are all good options. I think I would find it hard to eat "meat substitutes" regularly. I would seek out recipes that are inherently vegan. I am gluten free and I have found that to be the case for me. Foods masquerading as things they are not never tend to live up to the standards.

• sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    I like to have a shake for breakfast, but change up the flavors. I have about 6 different flavors I can choose from (usually ending up with either chocolate raspberry or chocolate peanut butter). Lunches, I've been doing a frozen dinner lately (Kashi has some vegan bowls that are pretty good). For dinner we make one staple thing that all the meals incorporate but we change up with sides or something. This week I made a bean puree in the instant pot and used that for tacos, quesadillas, and with meatless ribs. For snacks I will do a banana or protein bar. One lunch and one dinner per week, I will eat out, not on the same day. I like a lot of variety in flavors, so feel free to add me - we can share ideas :) Best of luck to you!
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    For vegan cooking the post punk kitchen rules!!! Chickpea picatta, caulipots (cauliflower and potato mash), and Isa's cookbook has lentil a roni that is an amazing calorie splurge.

This morning I had a delicious avocado smoothie. Half an avocado, half a cucumber, half a lime (peel cut off) an orange, a cup of spinach, cilantro, and flax seeds as an omega booster. 250 calories, but I feel full for hours. High in fiber too.
  • kaypee65
    P.S. Not a fan here of the Thug Kitchen. They sound cool, but their recipes are unreliable. Except for their buffalo cauliflower. That *kitten* is amazing...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Destinyy wrote: »
    I've pretty much been eating the same thing everyday. A protein / fruit / chia shake & daily vitamins for breakfast & a really large amount of 1 green vegetable, a meat substitute, and a carb-y side. I work nights so I don't usually eat dinner.... Anyone have tips or recipes so that I can have longevity in this process.

Learning how to incorporate more variety is a good idea. The excitement of the change can carry you through at first, but to make it sustainable I think you need to be able to not feel like you are depriving yourself. There are a HUGE number of 100% plant-based meals and recipes out there -- maybe explore some ideas from a variety of cuisines, like Indian, various Latin-based ones (beans and rice as a base), various Mediterranean options, so on. Also explore the many things you can do with beans and lentils in general, and with soy products like tofu and tempeh.

If you are in North America or Europe, it's summer now, so the amount of fresh produce is amazing. Take advantage of that. Incorporate as many vegetables as possible. When I do a breakfast smoothie (not often, but occasionally), I include some kind of vegetable or vegetables plus some greens (spinach is barely noticeable, kale also works well, IMO). Avocado is nice in a smoothie too. I'd typically try to get a few servings of vegetables at all meals (usually at least couple of different kinds at each meal, just because I do like variety).

Based on what you report, I'm a little concerned you might not be eating adequate calories, what are you getting in that average day?
  • kaypee65
    crazyravr wrote: »

Looking forward to next week when you are going to post that you went back to eating meat because Vegan diet, just like ANY diet, is too limiting. Then will be looking forward to read about how you went Paleo, and after that repeat said statement about it too being too limiting, just like any other diet.

I don't think this is correct. There are many long term vegans out there; especially in my family. Start digging into some good vegan cookbooks like Isa Chandra Moskowitz and I think there is tremendous variety. Vegan Marbled banana bread with peanut butter for example.

The only thing that keeps me from full veganism is that I eat cheese.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »

Looking forward to next week when you are going to post that you went back to eating meat because Vegan diet, just like ANY diet, is too limiting. Then will be looking forward to read about how you went Paleo, and after that repeat said statement about it too being too limiting, just like any other diet.

I don't think this is correct. There are many long term vegans out there; especially in my family. Start digging into some good vegan cookbooks like Isa Chandra Moskowitz and I think there is tremendous variety. Vegan Marbled banana bread with peanut butter for example.

The only thing that keeps me from full veganism is that I eat cheese.

Veganism allows for a lot of variety; I thought the point was that OP's approach did not, and that would be the same with any way of eating approached that way.
  • kaypee65
    Lemurcat12, I wasn't responding to the OP, just a commenter who asserted that Veganism is too restrictive to be sustainable. I vehemently disagree with that opinion.
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Be patient! The first few months are hard when you dont have 'tried and try" recipes to fall back on. Try variations on vegan sandwiches from the classic tomato sandwich to mashed avocado on bread, to hummus and cucumber sandwich etc. The fake chicken patties make good starts for a meal.
  • DesOdhi
    @crazyravr Firstly, you know nothing about me. So, instead of being rude, let me inform you. The reason I went vegan was not to lose weight. I developed an allergy to beef and all of the products that came from it (milk, cheese, etc.). I continued to eat animal products and my body began having more problems including, eczema, black stool, vomiting, and rashes. I was told by my doctor that I should stay away from animal products in order to heal my body. Your comment was rude and if a person was trying to go vegan for any other reason than to be healthy, you'd dissuade them with your arrogance.

• DesOdhi
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Do you need to make the drastic leap to veganism? Can you eat eggs or dairy? At least that will give you more options.

Unfortunately, I do have to make the drastic leap. My body over the last 2 or 3 years has been going haywire. I'm figuratively becoming a bubble girl but literally feel like it. I've developed 6 allergies within the last year and have had crazy side effects from those allergies developing . It was highly recommended by my doctor that I start from ground zero (fruits and veggies) to allow my body to heal internally after we got the results from my allergy tests.
  • DesOdhi
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Based on what you report, I'm a little concerned you might not be eating adequate calories, what are you getting in that average day?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm not a huge calorie counter. I usually go by what my stomach tells me. I haven't been feeling hungry, just bored tbh. I try to incorporate a lot of carbs and a huge amount of veggies to stay satisfied, it seems to work.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    I'm not vegan but I thoroughly enjoy vegan meals.

You may consider making extra of a meal and freeze them to pull out later for when you're in a rut.

Some things I enjoy:

Chili - beans are a nice way to get protein and fiber. I normally use beans, peppers, onion, diced tomatoes, chili flakes if you like spicy, tomato sauce and chili seasoning. It's great to pack in a small mason jar and reheat. Freezes great.

Pasta salad. Roast your choice of vegetables, toss with pasta and dressing. I made one Monday night. I cooked orzo in vegetable broth then tossed in roasted vegetables (cubed eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes tossed with olive oil then roasted in 400 degree oven). I used olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper as the dressing. Finished with fresh basil.

Rice bowls would be another great option. I like to cook either my brown rice or pasta in vegetable broth for extra flavor.

Panzanella salad would be light and refreshing. I just omitted the cheese.

Portabella mushrooms are awesome.

My best advice is to research different recipes but to not get overwhelmed or overcomplicate things.

As a side note: I learned that you can soak chia seeds in water to use as a nice substitute for egg whites.

Good luck!
  • DesOdhi
    Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas. I'll definitely be trying your suggestions as well as signing up for Pinterest for more ideas.
  • madxprofessor
    madxprofessor Posts: 81 Member
    anything you can make, you can make vegan. look up recipes on google and learn to cook and bake vegan versions of your favorite things!!