Need to Lose Weight Pre-Surgery - in 3 weeks!

I've just found out I will be having major abdominal surgery in 3.5 weeks. It will be done either laparascopically or open surgery, which have significantly different recovery times. The consultant yesterday told me that if I can lose some weight before hand, it increases the chance of it being laprascopic. I did point out that I won't lose much in 3 weeks, but he said "every little helps, even just 5kgs".

So - is there a way of rapidly losing weight that won't leave my body weakened before major surgery? My BMI is 35. I'm well aware that slow and steady is the best option for longer term loss (I've previously lost 45lbs that way), but in this situation slow isn't going to work! I can't do vigorous exercise at the moment, so burning it off on the treadmill not an option, needs to be diet only. I am going to try doing some stretching routines though, I figure more flexible muscles will help in recovery.

I'm thinking 800-1000 calories a day, with vitamin supplements to make sure I'm not missing out. But what balance of protein/carbs etc? Should I go low-carb? Can anyone point me at a specific short-term diet that has proven effects? Anyone else done this?

Thanks!!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Maybe you can't burn calories off on the threadmill, but I would say try to walk. A lot. Everywhere you can. Try to move yourself, so your cardiovascular system is strengthened. This will help you with getting through surgery and recovery. I wouldn't go below 1200 calories, depending on your weight, height and such even more. With 800-1000 calories there is no way you will not weaken yourself significantly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If your bmi is 35, odds are your weight is high enough that dropping 10 lbs, or close to it, is possible, especially if you are just starting to lose weight. I lost 9 lbs in the first 3.5 weeks with a lower bmi by simply not eating so much crap, without exercise. If you're that overweight, you are almost certainly eating a lot of junk. Cut it out and you'll see a big change.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    I would suggest you pick a calorie limit and eat a balanced diet. Do not do anything restrictive. Also - the exercise - walking on a treadmill, or around the block is imperative. There is a new movement for pre surgery instructions- it's like shaping up for surgery - and research shows that this is having a huge impact on your recovery. We are starting it with patients at our hospital.
  • Parslee
    Parslee Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Exercise is tricky right now as I am badly anaemic - recovering, and more energy than I've had in a year, but still feel like crap if I do too much, especially in the warmer weather. I can manage short walks, but in terms of calorie burning or CV, they don't add up to much. I'm the least fit I've been in my life right now, used to run, go hiking etc, but this health issue has totally wrecked my fitness. I was one of those heavy-but-fit people, right now I'm just fat :/

The amount of crap I eat is a lot better than it used to be - I've dropped a stone in the past year through not dieting, but just giving a bit more thought to what I eat, so that does work, but its not a quick fix. I don't live on chips and chocolate :smile:

800 cals maybe too low, I'll aim at 1000 and work hard on making sure I get plenty of veg and protein. I don't eat much bread anyway as it makes me ill, but will ease back on other carbs. I hate calorie counting, it just makes me think about food all the time, and I automatically want to eat the stuff I know I shouldn't have! Took me years to realise it doesn't really work for me long term, and now I've got to dive back into it again :( Oh well, its only for 3 weeks.