Plateau for 2 weeks now :/

Replies

• bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    sander312 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the scale as long as you are SEEING progress, but if you are determined to make the numbers drop you'll likely have re-evaluate your meal plan and become even more aggressive on your cut.

Thanks , yes glad I'm seeing progress which is great idk why I focus on scale so much . I feel if I cut even more cals from my 1350 I would be starving myself if I workout 2 to 3 hours a day with a lot of cardio.
  • bruby28
    mbarilli06 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that with the level of exercise you are doing, you will be building muscle mass and losing fat. That may mean that your weight doesn't change but your measurements will be. Try and take measurements of your waist, legs arms etc so that you can see how your body is changing. Weight loss isn't the only measurement of success! Keep at it!

Thank you , appreciate your response. I've defenitley been good with measuring monthly and so far have seen much progress so that I'm grateful .
  • bruby28
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that with the level of exercise you are doing, you will be building muscle mass and losing fat. That may mean that your weight doesn't change but your measurements will be. Try and take measurements of your waist, legs arms etc so that you can see how your body is changing. Weight loss isn't the only measurement of success! Keep at it!

She isn't building muscle on 1350 gross calories

That's what I was wondering , I didn't think I could gain muscle by doing low weight and high reps ..more of toning I thought since I see definition more than anything . Also doing a lot of cardio I didn't think I could build muscle , just tighten them up /tone .
  • bruby28
    Have you reassessed your calorie intake for the weight you have lost so far?
    If you started at 220 and weigh 200 now (hypothetically) you will need a lower calorie goal to lose at the same rate you started at.

Also, we nearly all slack off in out logging over time without noticing. Tighten up your weighing practices and weigh every single thing, double check you are using the correct entries by using the packaging label (weigh the packaged item even if it is single serving), or the USDA.

It always think it is a good idea to be consistent in how many of your exercise calories you eat back. It gives you another data point when analyzing weight loss problems.

Cheers, h.

Thank you , I agree with the exercise calories being eaten back . I know machines at gym are usually much higher cals burned then actual cals burned. I don't eat all my exercise cals back , at the most 50% on days I go real hard with my workout . Thanks for suggestion of reassess my calorie goal . I just wonder if it's a lower cal goal and I work out still 2 to 3 hours per day I would be even hungrier ? I just get confused with all this . Some people say to eat all your exercise cals so you're not starving your body . Others say don't eat any back at all . I don't want to gain from eating too little if my body thinks it's not getting enough cals. Thanks for response :)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    The scale is the devil and the devil is a liar. That being said, I notice you said you do "lift high reps, light weight" resistance training. Have you considered shorter reps, heavier weights?
  • bruby28
    Two weeks is not a plateau.. are you near ovulation or your period? Increased exercise recently? Had a high sodium day? Dehydrated?

How accurate is your logging? Are you chiding correct database entries and weighing all your food (and using cups/spoons for liquid only)?
    If she has suddenly began working out it is possible she is gaining muscle and losing weight.
    Gaining muscle in a deficit in 2 weeks?
    Lol, no. Muscle is freaking hard to build. It takes a progressive heavy lifting program, lots of time and a calorie surplus (excepting noob gains).

Not sure on period /cycle I have an iud so I do not get a period at all (which is great lol I don't mind ) I have increased my exercise for sure , some days I'll go to the gym for 2 hours and at night I've added a 45 min jog or a long walk . My sodium is always under according to mfp of what I put in and I am as accurate as possible adding every single thing I cook with..coconut oil , a dressing or salsa etc . Even if it's a small amount to I add it . I drink a ton of water every day , peeing every 45 min . I drink well over a gallon per day plus green tea . I also weigh all food .
  • bruby28
    Given the level of exercise your doing i expect your not eating enough, up your intake i bet it kickstarts your weight loss again. i go to gym 4 times a week and walk my dogs 6km every day. i started at 1200 and of course i lost but i found increasing to nearer 1600 works better for me.i certainly wouldnt go lower than the 1350 your currently on. maybe change your exercise , our bodies adapt and need to be shocked sometimes. i do think three hours excessive plus you should have rest days. im no expert of course .you should have built muscle over that time too even with low weights . i would recommend body pump as a fun class , combines cardio and strength

nope you cant shock the body. unless with electricity and I dont recommend it.

Thank you for the suggestions , I'll defenitley keep those in mind . I was assuming if I go under 1350 cal per day and workout as much as I do I would be extremely hungry
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    bruby28 wrote: »

That's what I was wondering , I didn't think I could gain muscle by doing low weight and high reps ..more of toning I thought since I see definition more than anything . Also doing a lot of cardio I didn't think I could build muscle , just tighten them up /tone .

you don't tighten/"tone" muscles....you build them...as someone else asked, have you thought of lifting heavy instead of light?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Given the level of exercise your doing i expect your not eating enough, up your intake i bet it kickstarts your weight loss again. i go to gym 4 times a week and walk my dogs 6km every day. i started at 1200 and of course i lost but i found increasing to nearer 1600 works better for me.i certainly wouldnt go lower than the 1350 your currently on. maybe change your exercise , our bodies adapt and need to be shocked sometimes. i do think three hours excessive plus you should have rest days. im no expert of course .you should have built muscle over that time too even with low weights . i would recommend body pump as a fun class , combines cardio and strength

nope you cant shock the body. unless with electricity and I dont recommend it.

Thank you for the suggestions , I'll defenitley keep those in mind . I was assuming if I go under 1350 cal per day and workout as much as I do I would be extremely hungry

you may end up hungry if you were to eat under 1350 and workout as much as you do down the road. right now you may have the opposite effects(lack of appetite).but even if you werent hungry you would still be causing possible damage to your body and you would definitely be losing lean mass.The best thing to do is to eat as much as you can while still losing weight,no need to eat so little if you can eat more and still lose.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    No need to worry, same thing happened to me. It lasted almost a month. Just keep working hard and don't get discouraged. I started dropping weight like I was before.
  • befitnext
    befitnext Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Brudy28,
    if i can advice you, the better way, don't focus on your scale, this is only number. After many effort, you will be desappointed if you focus on number of the scale. The best way, is to look in mirror, the mirror not lie, and also focus on your waist. If i look myself, my weight don't move since 1 month, but my body is completly different with same weight. To broke a plateau, stop 2 or 3 days without any exercises, During you rest day, be sure to eat low carbs under 150gr per day and less if you can. All work always pay... I hope this can help you
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    What is your goal? 1lb per week?

1350 calories sounds super low to me for your height and weight. I am 5'3" and am losing consistently eating 1500-1700 calories with just walking for exercise.

I'm wondering if you are just retaining water though. If it's only been two weeks, that sounds like water if your logging is good.
  • bruby28
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    No need to worry, same thing happened to me. It lasted almost a month. Just keep working hard and don't get discouraged. I started dropping weight like I was before.

Thank you much , appreciate the encouraging words ;)
  • bruby28

you don't tighten/"tone" muscles....you build them...as someone else asked, have you thought of lifting heavy instead of light?

If I lift heavy , can I still get lean ? Wasn't sure what's good to do ..loose excess weight first then lift heavy to build ? I've heard others say for weight loss loft weights almost like cardio high reps low to medium weight ..1 min rest in between
  • bruby28
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    The scale is the devil and the devil is a liar. That being said, I notice you said you do "lift high reps, light weight" resistance training. Have you considered shorter reps, heavier weights?

I like the devil quote , very true ;) that's what I'm confused by ..I hear two different things . Some say to loose weight and tone you lift light to medium weight high reps with little rest in between . Others say to get to healthy weight first then lift heavy to build and gains. ?
  • bruby28
    Bearbo27 wrote: »

1350 calories sounds super low to me for your height and weight. I am 5'3" and am losing consistently eating 1500-1700 calories with just walking for exercise.

I'm wondering if you are just retaining water though. If it's only been two weeks, that sounds like water if your logging is good.

I've set my goal as 2 lbs per week . I upped my activity level here on mfp so my calorie goal now says 1750. Going to see if that helps ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    ccruz985 wrote: »

I like the devil quote , very true ;) that's what I'm confused by ..I hear two different things . Some say to loose weight and tone you lift light to medium weight high reps with little rest in between . Others say to get to healthy weight first then lift heavy to build and gains. ?

lift heavy while losing weight as it will help prevent lean muscle loss(muscle as well) just make sure to get enough protein. I lifted all through my weight loss phases (still do). it will change how your body looks but you wont gain muscle. then when you get to maintenance you could either recomp or eat more calories and do a bulk,both of those can result in muscle gain,but recomp is just a LOT slower and with no change in weight.

to get a toned look you have to lose existing fat over any muscle you already have. lifting while losing has a lot of benefits. lifting is good for muscles and will help prevent osteoporosis and things like that in later years. I have RA and have not needed meds as if yet because lifting has improved my condition and I dont have the soreness I used to have before I lifted.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Bearbo27 wrote: »

I've set my goal as 2 lbs per week . I upped my activity level here on mfp so my calorie goal now says 1750. Going to see if that helps ;)

Now that you only have 30lbs to lose, this is a pretty aggressive goal. I'd strongly recommend lowering it to at least 1.5 or even 1lb/wk.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    Probably just some water weight fluctuation.

As you get lighter, your weight loss will inevitably slow down, and water weight fluctuations will become more noticeable - they will mask your weight loss some weeks, and sometimes even make it look as if you've gained. There's not much you can do, it just is.

Make sure mfp is calculating based on your current weight (enter current weight under 'progress', then go into 'goals' and change your rate of loss to 'maintain my weight' and back again. This will force mfp to recalculate. If the number doesn't change, then it has already adjusted on its own).

Then consider reducing your rate of loss. You will need to slow down as you approach your goal, and I'm afraid the vagaries of water retention will become part of daily life.

Don't let it get to you - just keep swimming.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    She's not building muscle. Muscle means adding weight. And that means a surplus of calories. And the regimen she's on doesn't encourage muscle hypertrophy at that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png