Britt's Vegan OMAD Journey

Replies

• gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Your posts are very honest and reflective. That goes hand in hand with success! You'll get there. Like you said, it's not a quick fix.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Thanks so much for the support, everyone!
    I love how everyone has their own definitions of success. It really speaks to the importance of individualizing your goals beyond the scale.

I ended up having two meals yesterday because my boss threw me a surprise going away party and she made a lot of food. I stuck to one plate and thought I ate enough at the party, but I had a severe headache later in the day. When I calculated the meal just because I was curious, I only had ~400 calories. I should've known this, since my plate was mostly raw veggies, but I didn't think of it at the time. I had a frozen Amy's veggie loaf meal and a glass of red when I got home, and the headache disappeared.
  • brittdee88
    I haven't been taking pictures because of things being super hectic with the move, but yesterday's OMAD was Amy's frozen enchilada meal, celery with hummus, a piece of my going-away cake, and a glass of red.

I have been thinking a lot about what the future holds in terms of OMAD during grad school. I ended up purchasing a meal plan, so I will eat when I am on campus Tues-Thurs. I know I won't have a lot of time, so I had entertained the idea of just continuing frozen meals on non-school days, but I would really rather not. I like preparing my food and being able to control what goes into it.
    I was reading @x3nomorph's log and it reminded me of when I was a raw vegan for 2 months earlier this year. I absolutely LOVED it, but it just got too expensive to keep up everyday. But I was able to put food together very quickly, and it was often as simple as just eating the whole foods themselves or as complicated as making some really cool gourmet raw vegan meals. I saw SO many benefits -- it was the best I have felt as an adult. I had mental clarity, digestion was amazing, eyes were brighter and clearer, skin was glowing, TOM was much lighter and virtually pain-free, etc. So I plan to adopt 2 raw vegan days per week. On less busy weeks, I can make some more involved recipes, and on busier weeks, it would be as easy as blending, chopping, and eating.
    I also found some vegan cookbooks that have recipes portioned for two people that can be made in the Instant Pot, so I figure I can invest in the Instant Pot and make one of those recipes to eat for the other 2 days.
    I am going to do a little trial next week to see if I can make it work. My raw days would likely be Sunday and Monday with my own recipes being prepared on Friday and Saturday. That will also give me leeway for going out to eat with my fiance or friends or ordering in together since that is most likely to happen on a Friday or Saturday. I am open to moving days around, but I think that makes the most sense to me and I want to be consistent. We'll see how it goes! If nothing else, raw food is so gorgeous, so I will have some nice pics next week :smiley:
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    You have really done some thinking and planning about how to stay on track. Your post made me want to eat more raw foods!
  • brittdee88
    Haha, thanks @gomissfitnes!
    It is a gift and a curse. I am always very reflective, and then I get stuck in my head and overthink often!
    But I really like having a plan, and I hope that it works out. I have found that following plans leads to better established habits for me, and since we all have a finite amount of willpower, I would just like my way of eating to become automated so I can focus on some other areas I would like to improve in my 30s.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Love your thinking, Britt! Maybe once you're in grad school you can decide whether you want to reasses the meals and all. You have a beautiful heart and mind, intelligent, too!
  • brittdee88
    Thank you so much for saying that, Sandy. I really appreciate how supportive you are.
    I will definitely be open to reassessing as time progresses and my needs change. I am hoping this clicks for a while and that I can MOVE ON for goodness' sake!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for saying that, Sandy. I really appreciate how supportive you are.
    I will definitely be open to reassessing as time progresses and my needs change. I am hoping this clicks for a while and that I can MOVE ON for goodness' sake!

I'm sure it will become automated SUPER fast! It did for me! I think the moving and all that stuff really throws a wrench in the gears...literally and mentally LOL. I know this weekend might be a tiche rough because of the move but I'm just gonna stick to the basics! :)
  • brittdee88
    I'm sure it will become automated SUPER fast! It did for me! I think the moving and all that stuff really throws a wrench in the gears...literally and mentally LOL. I know this weekend might be a tiche rough because of the move but I'm just gonna stick to the basics! :)

AMEN to that. I'm not finding OMAD to be all that hard, but I just want to make better choices for my health that I can sustain when things get busy with school. I can't wait until I'm in my new home and things sort of stabilize for a little while!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Britt,

What are you going to study in grad school?
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Looking forward to seeing your raw food pictures! I love raw veggies - I munch on a ton of them while I'm cooking. Do things like hummus count as raw? I presume it would as it's just blended chickpeas, maybe? Though I guess you need tahini, which I guess is just blended sesame seeds... What about oil, can you use oil?
  • brittdee88
    edited July 2017
    @blambo61 Community psychology :)

@minigrrll ugh the app ate my response! Traditional hummus uses cooked chickpeas, but I could probably make a sprouted version that could qualify. And raw tahini does exist. You can use cold-pressed oils, but many raw foodies don't. I prefer to go the whole food route (i.e. using avocados or hemp seeds over avocado or hemp oil).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Good luck with your grad studies!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    @blambo61 Community psychology :)

@minigrrll ugh the app ate my response! Traditional hummus uses cooked chickpeas, but I could probably make a sprouted version that could qualify. And raw tahini does exist. You can use cold-pressed oils, but many raw foodies don't. I prefer to go the whole food route (i.e. using avocados or hemp seeds over avocado or hemp oil).
    Duh! Of course the chick peas are cooked... I just pour them out of the can and forget they are cooked... I love sprouted chick peas though... in fact I pretty much love sprouted anything. I love those containers of mixed sprouted stuff - so yummy.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Today's OMAD was not a pretty one. It actually reminds me of what I would eat when I was recovering from a hangover in college:

5z8i5amohdtl.jpg

It was tasty, though!

Amy's light and lean sweet and sour noodles
    1/4 Daiya supreme pizza
    Peach tea with algae added
    Protein bar
    Blood orange (not pictured)

Well, I love it. And what's more, you made good on what you had around. And THAT is pragmatic thinking!
  • brittdee88
    Thanks, @blambo61! I am VERY excited!
    @minigrrll I hardly ever sprout things, though I know it can be good for me. I can't stand the texture or taste of sprouted beans! I may enjoy it more if it's made into hummus. I am already planning my first raw OMAD for Sunday, though. I am thinking dehydrated plantain chips with guacamole and salsa :p
    @arguablysamson thanks, Joe! Moving definitely brings the resourcefulness out of you!
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    @brittdee88 best wishes on your studies I am sure you will find what works for you during those school days...if you are vegetarian and want raw meals how about salads and fruits for those days? I can´t live without my salads!!
    I love what you are studying... wish I had studied Psych, but I studied political sciences LOL
    later in life I studied Counselling and it was sooo awesome!
  • brittdee88
    Yesterday's OMAD was Amy's vegetable korma, carrots and hummus (I have so much hummus to get through LOL), cake, and a glass of dry white.
    I have officially gotten through all of my frozen meals! All that's left are my Tasty Bite pouches, some veggie dogs, corn, and green beans. Those should hopefully be finished by next Thursday.
    I am already planning on what I will be eating for my raw days on Sunday and Monday because I am beyond excited: dehydrated plantain chips with guacamole and mango salsa, a young coconut, and a blueberry-algae smoothie. I can't wait!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Sounds delicious! And that so fun that you're studying psychology! My undergrad is in Psych and I loved it! Excited to see pictures from your raw vegan omads!
  • brittdee88
    Today's OMAD:

0baiivto8rlo.jpg

Discovered a healthy fast food place around the corner in my new neighborhood, and it was awesome!

I had:
    2 veggie corn dogs
    An order of air fries
    Mango-guava smoothie
    A whole bunch of mesquite-flavored ketchup

This was soooo good! I'm so fortunate that I have so many more options nearby now that I'm moving.
    Today is the first day of moving things with our cars. We'll do another round tomorrow after work, and the final move will be Saturday. Excited for a new chapter!