I have lost faith and gained back 8lbs

judsywudsy
judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost the urge to lose any weight. In the last two months I have been sick and it's quite depressing... I just can't feel the motivation to start eating properly again... even though I go to the gym daily . I think I need help. Just to add tht I was on the path of losing and maintaining...so to be going in the opposite direction is heartrendering.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Even if you aren't feeling it right now, just do the behaviors of logging and staying within calories, one day at a time. Motivation will return. If it hasn't been that long, half the weight may still be water unless you were really stuffing yourself. It will come back off.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    judsywudsy wrote: »
    I have lost the urge to lose any weight. In the last two months I have been sick and it's quite depressing... I just can't feel the motivation to start eating properly again... even though I go to the gym daily . I think I need help. Just to add tht I was on the path of losing and maintaining...so to be going in the opposite direction is heartrendering.

If you have the will to go to the gym, use that same will to trust the process and not your feelings on the food. The process works despite however you feel about it on a given day.

Feelings change and fluctuate, like water weight. Facts don't. The process works. No reason to lose faith in that right?
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    I understand how you feel because I currently feel the same. Just take it day by day. Try to eat as much protein and vitamins as possible and move a little. Even if you only go for walks. Something is better than nothing right? :smiley:

• its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    We are all human and humans aren't perfect. Especially with weight loss. Don't be to hard on yourself. Keep logging and do new things at the gym to rev up your motivation. Are your workouts boring?
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    After a period of stress, like illness, I think feelings like you're having are normal. If I were you I'd probably stick with a maintenance calorie goal for now, focus on health-building foods, and maybe get out for some nice, brisk walks, preferably in nature. You sound a little depressed, and a depressed feelings/thoughts will lead you astray. Don't do anything drastic, but do log and try to maintain where you currently are and work mostly on getting your mojo back. You will feel better. It may just take a little more recovery time.
  • lisa12845
    lisa12845 Posts: 1 Member
    Try to stay positive. I know how hard this journey is. I have been stuck for a few days now. Eat right exercise and not an ounce leaves.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I try not to concentrate on weight loss during illness, because the body just needs to get through it. Being sick is in itself depressing. I've lost motivation when there's a setback, but just maintain the habit of logging in and being diligent works some magic eventually. You've got this!!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Great advice from the people here.
    Log your food, even if you go off the rails with eating.

But only you can decide if you want to continue.
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Oh wow... thanks guys. I managed to clean my diet up a little and will be taking small steps to losing some weight
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I get ya. I lost 50lbs in 2011. At times I'm in it. I'm eating right, exercising...and at times I eat 4 pieces of deep dish pizza and 3 beers to wash it down, then leave the bar and want dessert. I tend to go up 10lbs, feel "fluffy" then really work mentally/physically to get back to were I was. Then the cycle starts again. I lose those 10lbs, think "I got this, I don't need to log or watch", then a year later, I'm "fluffy" again.

So. I get it. And I've been there about 5 times over the last 5 years. It's like a part of my brain says "I'm done, eat all the food/booze".

My advice. You basically just have to push past it. Tell that voice to clam up and do it anyway.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    You could try maintaining your weight for a while - don't aim to lose anything, just focus on getting into the swing of logging your food. I've had times when I just didn't have the mental energy to actually eat at a deficit, but I could manage to maintain and sort of keep a lid on things.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    8 pounds isn't the end of the world. Be glad you are catching yourself now instead of after a major gain! You can be back down to where you were in a month if you set your mind to it! You can do it!