124»

Replies

• Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    daquix wrote: »
    28 years old.
    6 foot tall.
    436 pounds.

Everything I eat is weighed with a food scale, down to the gram (except for pre-packaged, 1 serving foods).

Most TDEE calculators I've found have estimated me between 3,500 to 5,000 calculators per day TDEE.

For the past 7 days I have averaged 1,568 calories per day. For the past 14 days, I have averaged 1,355 calories per day.

That is 2,000 to 3,500 calories below TDEE.

Yet after losing my first 20 pounds, I haven't lost since.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I highly recommend you start weighing yourself at the same time every day -- and try (though it's hard) not to let the scale dictate your mood.

Your body can swing 5 even 10 pounds of water weight depending on circumstances and diet. Tracking a daily weight let's you see the downward trend.

Jo-weight-loss.png

And you can do it. You're here, you're logging -- you're doing the right thing. Log the weight and don't put much thought into it, if you can. Pay attention to what your trendline looks like after a month, two months.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Most TDEE calculators I've found have estimated me between 3,500 to 5,000 calculators per day TDEE.
    Any ideas? Thoughts?

Hell yeah: your TDEE is all wrong. Don't feel bad, *a* *lot* of us former heavy drops have fallen into this same trap, unknowingly.

You're not a 435 pound body - you're a 150 (ish) pound body inside a 285 pound fat suit. Not being mean - have been there ish myself. It's important to realize the difference. When people like you or former-me use TDEE calculators, it is crucial we use the ones that use body fat percentage in the calculation, otherwise we get horrible overestimates.

Here's one that does - hit the "Lean Mass Formula" button. You don't need an exact number for body fat % - you're going to be around 65%, enter that, precision isn't critical here.

http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

Put "sedentary" and "light" -> you're at around 2100 TDEE.

If this were true, how are the extremely obese people using MFP's numbers losing weight? By your calculations, OP should only have lost 1.5 lbs/week. His *results* (even accounting for initial water weight loss) bear out the truth of the math.
  • daquix
    daquix Posts: 20 Member
    Any ideas? Thoughts?

Hell yeah: your TDEE is all wrong. Don't feel bad, *a* *lot* of us former heavy drops have fallen into this same trap, unknowingly.

You're not a 435 pound body - you're a 150 (ish) pound body inside a 285 pound fat suit. Not being mean - have been there ish myself. It's important to realize the difference. When people like you or former-me use TDEE calculators, it is crucial we use the ones that use body fat percentage in the calculation, otherwise we get horrible overestimates.

Here's one that does - hit the "Lean Mass Formula" button. You don't need an exact number for body fat % - you're going to be around 65%, enter that, precision isn't critical here.

Wow.

I've never heard that before.

What's your story?
  • try2again
    try2again wrote: »
    If this were true, how are the extremely obese people using MFP's numbers losing weight?

Most of them aren't. The failure rates on here are....staggering.

(Not picking on MFP - failure rates *everywhere* are staggering.)

His *results* (even accounting for initial water weight loss) bear out the truth of the math.

If that were actually true he wouldn't be asking for help. Initial weight loss - especially from a position of obesity - doesn't count. What matters is the trend after the first month or so.

Failure of long-term adherence, yes (which is often due to pursuing extreme deficits).

The question he posed was why he hadn't lost any weight in the last week- which is common and doesn't mean his weight loss has stalled. But I completely agree- what matters the most is his weekly weight loss average over the next few weeks, which I predict will show at least a 1500 calorie/day deficit if he continues to eat at his current level.

OP- would you come back & update in a few weeks? :)
  • try2again
    OP- out of curiosity, I created a thread with a call for more info on this topic from knowledgeable users. It may not generate any responses, but you can follow it if you like. Please don't take this info at face value without doing further research from *reputable* sources. And as has been said, your results will show the truth of the calorie deficit you require. Please give it time to do so before making any adjustments.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582206/impact-of-extreme-obesity-on-tdee#latest
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Any ideas? Thoughts?

Wow.

I've never heard that before.

What's your story?

Started at 320. Didn't trust the math - talked to a lot of people - logged *everything* for about 12 months so I was able to measure my *actual* TDEE - and won the battle.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    But I completely agree- what matters the most is his weekly weight loss average over the next few weeks, which I predict will show at least a 1500 calorie/day deficit if he continues to eat at his current level.

That's 3 pounds a week, on average.

I'll take that bet. And counter with 1-1.5 pounds/week, on average.
  • try2again
    But I completely agree- what matters the most is his weekly weight loss average over the next few weeks, which I predict will show at least a 1500 calorie/day deficit if he continues to eat at his current level.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant, the TDEE you worked out would require him to eat 500 calories a day for a 1500 calorie deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited July 2017
    OP- out of curiosity, I created a thread with a call for more info on this topic from knowledgeable users. It may not generate any responses, but you can follow it if you like. Please don't take this info at face value without doing further research from *reputable* sources. And as has been said, your results will show the truth of the calorie deficit you require. Please give it time to do so before making any adjustments.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582206/impact-of-extreme-obesity-on-tdee#latest

Do you have personal experience with morbid obesity and weight loss? I don't know why you are arguing for him to eat at an inflated calorie amount...sure he could do it but he doesn't need that much food. His weight is life-threatening. Anyone can make do on 1600-2000 calories. Is it easy? No.

He can eat more once the dangerous first couple hundred pounds are gone.

If you're simply arguing adherence, 1600 is doable and there will be instant results. There is a lot to be said for success, that's even why this was posted. Why do you think bariatric clinics put their morbidly obese patients on low calories? Could they be on to something? Maybe? His body fat will be used as fuel. Nutrition is important when on low calorie, but that is also doable.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    28 years old.
    6 foot tall.
    436 pounds.

Everything I eat is weighed with a food scale, down to the gram (except for pre-packaged, 1 serving foods).

For the past 7 days I have averaged 1,568 calories per day. For the past 14 days, I have averaged 1,355 calories per day.

That is 2,000 to 3,500 calories below TDEE.

Yet after losing my first 20 pounds, I haven't lost since.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

You weigh over 400 pounds. You've been dieting for three weeks. You need to step back and look at the big picture. It took you years to get that heavy. Years of overeating and not exercising. You cannot undo that in a few weeks or months. Keep eating at a deficit and check back in three months. If you still haven't lost a significant amount of weight then it's time to reassess.
  • try2again

What's YOUR reputable source? Do you have personal experience with morbid obesity and weight loss? I don't know why you are arguing for him to eat at an inflated TDEE...sure he could do it. He doesn't need that much food. His weight is life-threatening. Anyone can make do on 1600-2000 calories. Is it easy? No.

If you're simply arguing adherence, 1600 is doable and there will be instant results. There is a lot to be said for success, that's even why this was posted. Why do you think bariatric clinics put their morbidly obese patients on low calories? Could they be on to something? Maybe? His body fat will be used as fuel. Nutrition is important when on low calorie, but that is also doable.

I don't claim to be an expert, which is part of the reason I created a thread looking for more info on the specific topic that was mentioned. I always encourage people to eat the greatest amount of calories possible that will allow them to achieve their desired (but still safe) weight loss goals and keep them from crashing & burning in their attempts to lose weight. OP will get instant, substantial results on 2000 calories too- why should he make it any harder than it needs to be? Does it benefit a person to lose a quick 50, 75, whatever lbs fast, burn out & return to their old habits and put it back on?

My personal experience is I started at 5'9" and 275 lbs. That was 5 years ago. I have lost in chunks of 30 lbs with periods of maintenance in between. All my loss has been achieved at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs/week (mostly 1) and my MFP calorie allowance has always been spot on, thus no discrepancies in TDEE. I still have 40 lbs to go, but have improved my health markers to the extent that I am no longer at high risk in any category. Because I approached it at a pace I could live with, I have been successful. That's what I have to offer... sorry if that offends you. I will quietly bow out of this thread and let the OP reach his own conclusions. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member

What's YOUR reputable source? Do you have personal experience with morbid obesity and weight loss? I don't know why you are arguing for him to eat at an inflated TDEE...sure he could do it. He doesn't need that much food. His weight is life-threatening. Anyone can make do on 1600-2000 calories. Is it easy? No.

I don't claim to be an expert, which is part of the reason I created a thread looking for more info on the specific topic that was mentioned. I always encourage people to eat the greatest amount of calories possible that will allow them to achieve their desired (but still safe) weight loss goals and keep them from crashing & burning in their attempts to lose weight. OP will get instant, substantial results on 2000 calories too- why should he make it any harder than it needs to be? Does it benefit a person to lose a quick 50, 75, whatever lbs fast, burn out & return to their old habits and put it back on?

My personal experience is I started at 5'9" and 275 lbs. That was 5 years ago. I have lost in chunks of 30 lbs with periods of maintenance in between. All my loss has been achieved at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs/week (mostly 1) and my MFP calorie allowance has always been spot on, thus no discrepancies in TDEE. I still have 40 lbs to go, but have improved my health markers to the extent that I am no longer at high risk in any category. Because I approached it at a pace I could live with, I have been successful. That's what I have to offer... sorry if that offends you. I will quietly bow out of this thread and let the OP reach his own conclusions. :)

Not trying to chase you out of the thread but if he were to eat at 1600-2000, that would certainly work. We are essentially saying the same thing, now.

It's not an exact number. If hunger becomes an issue, then eat more. Otherwise try to get that weight off quickly - at least in the beginning when it's really easy to lose weight due to so much body fat.

If his TDEE is 4300, though - there is no need to eat 3300, which would be what MFP would tell him; only because that is the limit of this particular program (MYfitnesspal tops out its weight loss goal at 2 pounds per week.)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    6avoolfhbwe9.png

And here is a day where I went a little nuts (high in calories).

I'm shorter than you, older, smaller than half your size, female, and with a little exercise I can lose weight on more than your "little nuts (high in calories)" day.

I suggest you weigh every day, chart it, look at the trends, be patient, and eat enough so that you don't lose more than an average of 1% of your body weight per week (on average over time).

lyadx4bhvx3u.png
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    kaypee65 wrote: »

Why does it matter what you eat?

A calorie is a calorie, right?

Actually it matters a lot to your gut bacteria. A diet high in refined carbohydrates and low in fiber will promote firmicutes. Firmicutes promote obesity and resist weight loss. A diet high in fiber shifts that balance to bacteriodes that help facilitate faster weight loss.

CICO is a law, but YMMV due to gut flora.

Source please?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Don't worry about it. Natural fluctuations due to all sorts of things. You don't need to change anything if you are happy eating that deficit. One thing I found really helped me is getting on the scale every day. After a while you can tell that your weight will go up a few pounds after you've had too much salt then water, or after you start a weight lifting program. The body likes to hold and release water dependent on a number of factors, but you are absolutely correct that this is really just physics.

You're doing well, expect your loss to slow down the closer you get to your goal. There will be bumps along the road, but be patient and trust the process.