Recomp, Schmeecomp... lol

2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Not trying to put you down OP, you've accomplished a lot and if recomp isn't your goal, more power to you.
    But aside from improving body composition, resistance training is great for many reasons. A huge one, that is especially important as we get older, is general strength.
    After working as an aid in a nursing home, this video really stuck with me - "Why Fitness Actually Matters" (getting off the toilet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRCkUzROr0

This is true. I tell people lacking motivation to visit a nursing home. Sad, depressing, but true. Anyone with parents or grandparents in this age group has seen it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Congratulations on meeting your goals, and your thread title makes me laugh. I think it's perfectly fine to do exactly what you're doing, so keep on keeping on.

But I think the reason you're seeing so much info here about "recomp" is that a lot of us hit our goal weight and then say to ourselves, "now what?" So we find a new goal to work towards, we find new ways to improve our bodies and our appearance. I find straight maintenance to be weirdly challenging. Mentally, it's MORE difficult for me than losing was, because it feels like I'm not aiming for anything. Recomping gives me a new goal to strive for and it keeps me focused.

Thank you, Jeephair77 - that makes sense to me! And who knows, the day may come when I'll join all of you in the recomp camp :) . But for now... Just gonna keep on doing what I'm doing.

And truly, truly - my intent was not to offend anyone!! It's just that I was confused about so many threads in the "maintenance" section being about recomping. Guess if I were looking for info on recomp, I'd have looked in "fitness and exercise." Again, Jeephair, thanks for the explanation.

But mostly - congrats to all of you on striving for, and reaching your goals! Lots of blood, sweat and tears go into that and not for one minute do I want to diminish that!

Peace out, Friends

Not offended just don't understand the need for your OP
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you @CoueCoue, that was EXACTLY my intent!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Congratulations on meeting your goals, and your thread title makes me laugh. I think it's perfectly fine to do exactly what you're doing, so keep on keeping on.

But I think the reason you're seeing so much info here about "recomp" is that a lot of us hit our goal weight and then say to ourselves, "now what?" So we find a new goal to work towards, we find new ways to improve our bodies and our appearance. I find straight maintenance to be weirdly challenging. Mentally, it's MORE difficult for me than losing was, because it feels like I'm not aiming for anything. Recomping gives me a new goal to strive for and it keeps me focused.

This is what I was going to say. I've always had a hard time sticking to my goal weight too. Having a new project to work on has kept me motivated this time around to where I've kept the pounds off for over a year.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Congrats on your loss. I'd probably feel the same, in your shoes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    @cwolfman13 - that I can totally get behind, and I agree! Hence the lifting of the toddler grandchild ;)

Just snatch and jerk that grandchild every day for the next 30 years and you'll be ok.

Otherwise, progressive heavy lifting to keep your mind and your body strong and together. It's something I have to start doing more of and I will soon.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    @cwolfman13 - that I can totally get behind, and I agree! Hence the lifting of the toddler grandchild ;)

Just snatch and jerk that grandchild every day for the next 30 years and you'll be ok.

Otherwise, progressive heavy lifting to keep your mind and your body strong and together. It's something I have to start doing more of and I will soon.

What I was thinking!! Maybe not for thirty years, but at least every day till the kid graduates from high school. ;):D
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Thank you, Jeephair77 - that makes sense to me! And who knows, the day may come when I'll join all of you in the recomp camp :) . But for now... Just gonna keep on doing what I'm doing.

And truly, truly - my intent was not to offend anyone!! It's just that I was confused about so many threads in the "maintenance" section being about recomping. Guess if I were looking for info on recomp, I'd have looked in "fitness and exercise." Again, Jeephair, thanks for the explanation.

But mostly - congrats to all of you on striving for, and reaching your goals! Lots of blood, sweat and tears go into that and not for one minute do I want to diminish that!

Peace out, Friends

Not offended just don't understand the need for your OP

I think Because she's seeing this forum as a forum about recomposition specifically, despite the fact that the forum is meant to be about maintenance in general. I've been on this forum enough that I see plenty of posts targeted at maintenance issues.