Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Aspartame

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Nope, cos science.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    mandyherbo wrote: »
    Does anyone else think this stuff is bad for you ?
    The brain damaging effects of aspartame are nullified if you wash it down with apple cider vinegar.

<3

It's been a long weird day on the boards, right?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Stick with sugar .

Nah, I'd prefer not to drink my calories

This quote seems like more of a debatable topic than the original comment.
    I don't mind drinking mine, so long as I hit my protein goals and am on track to my overall goals.

So in terms of drinking my calories, I will willingly do so for protein shakes, chocolate milk or a coke.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I do not think aspartame is 'bad for you' (if we are using a global 'you'). I don't like it but I've drank plenty of it in my lifetime and more importantly, I know many healthy older adults who drink it daily without experiencing any negative health outcomes that I don't see how it could be called unhealthy in a general sense.

I've seen it listed as a common migraine trigger, but then so are bananas. And any food may be unhealthy on an individual basis.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Stick with sugar .

I don't mind drinking mine, so long as I hit my protein goals and am on track to my overall goals.

So in terms of drinking my calories, I will willingly do so for protein shakes, chocolate milk or a coke.

But why would I spend 100-200 (or even 300 with Mountain Dew) calories on soda when I can get the satisfaction for next to no calories?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    In moderation, nope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Oh, this is so not me. But "stick with sugar" is also so not me. I will gladly skip sugary drinks (or food) in favor of drinking those calories in wine.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member

I used to be scared of it, then I got educated by someone with no agenda. (See above links. :) )

I don't really like the aftertaste, though, so I avoid it for that reason rather than because it's eeeeeeevil.

If you like soda/pop/whatever you want to call it and find it hard to give up, it's a good way to cut calories if you don't mind the taste and it's not a personal trigger for anything (as mentioned above).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Oh, this is so not me. But "stick with sugar" is also so not me. I will gladly skip sugary drinks (or food) in favor of drinking those calories in wine.

Yes.

They've yet to come out with low calorie wine, so I'll stick with water or coke zero so I can drink wine.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Stick with sugar .

But why would I spend 100-200 (or even 300 with Mountain Dew) calories on soda when I can get the satisfaction for next to no calories?

All comes down to enjoyment of life. That being said, if I eat fast food, I will normally get a Coke Zero, not to be "healthy" but to be less unhealthy? I guess...saves calories for something else.

Unless I go to the movies and they have the newer fountains where you can put additional flavouring into your drink. Cherry Sprite for the win.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

They've yet to come out with low calorie wine, so I'll stick with water or coke zero so I can drink wine.

there is a low calorie prosecco though - it's called syltbar and it's 49 calories for 6 oz.

you're welcome.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

there is a low calorie prosecco though - it's called syltbar and it's 49 calories for 6 oz.

you're welcome.

How's the taste?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Stick with sugar .

All comes down to enjoyment of life. That being said, if I eat fast food, I will normally get a Coke Zero, not to be "healthy" but to be less unhealthy? I guess...saves calories for something else.

Unless I go to the movies and they have the newer fountains where you can put additional flavouring into your drink. Cherry Sprite for the win.

My wife loves Grape Sprite Zero. I like it, but not as much as cherry whatever.
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    I prefer stevia.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

you're welcome.

How's the taste?

i actually enjoy it, but i don't like sweet wines anyway. it's more of a brut.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

you're welcome.

How's the taste?

Sounds like it might be up my alley, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

you're welcome.

How's the taste?

Hmmm... That might be worth checking out, if it's available around here.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Aspartame gives me headaches. I don't feel well after consuming more than a little bit. That's enough for me.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

you're welcome.

Wait, what? Must...find...it...now.

Seriously though. Alcohol are the only calories I'll drink. Otherwise it's Diet Coke or water.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Stick with sugar .

Yes.

you're welcome.

Wait, what? Must...find...it...now.

Seriously though. Alcohol are the only calories I'll drink. Otherwise it's Diet Coke or water.

I'm pretty sure presecco is a low alcohol wine, so you have to drink more. Check that first.