How often do you weight yourself?

Replies

• kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    I weigh every day, and graph the weight in excel. I include a 7 day average trend line to smooth out the little ups and downs.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    When I was losing and at first maintaining I would weigh every day. The accumulation of data gives a great larger perspective on the process. I am doing about once a week now, while still logging all food, because I feel like I'm ready to be a bit freer in maintenance but also because I need to trust myself to make the right choices even when I'm not "answering" to the scale every day.
  • kimjevansmfp
    kimjevansmfp Posts: 2 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Never=not often enough
    More than once a day=too much

So somewhere in between there.

A lot of people have issues with weighing every day because of fluctuations up and down. If that is something that would bother you, then daily might be too much. I do weigh every morning, but I keep track in a tracking app that smooths out the fluctuations so I can see the overall trend.

Hi hun,know exactly where youre coming from with the fluctuations.it keeps reli gettin me down and then wanting to go off track :( can i ask which app u use please?to smooth out the fluctuations please hun x
  • Vynex
    Vynex Posts: 18 Member
    I weigh myself everyday, but I log once a week on Sunday.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    every single day, and like others have said, it takes some perspective.

About a year into maintenance I started weighing 1-2 times a week instead and wound up gaining weight because I played tons of mental games/tricks with myself which "allowed" me to eat more or whatever, and just wasn't effective...so now it's back to daily weighing.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    To my detriment, almost every morning.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Tuesday morning at my local chemist
    I used to have a scale at home but i started weighing before and after every toilet trip and thats just daft so i got rid
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Every day but only log new lows
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Once per week (Monday mornings)
  • hopepowell
    hopepowell Posts: 12 Member
    I weigh myself every day!! It is a great way to monitor how food is impacting your goals.
  • Italiandiva38
    Italiandiva38 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm guilty of every morning weigh-ins
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Once a week works for me.

More often makes me too hyper-focused in the scale and less often is not engaging enough to keep me true to my goals.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    I weigh every day on a Nokia scale and am using trendweight to track. I tend to have a lot of water weight swings, so this helps me focus on the trend and not the number on the scale. When I weighed once a week, if I was on the wrong side of the swing for a few weeks it was really discouraging and made it hard to tell what I was actually losing.
  • HopefulMeD
    HopefulMeD Posts: 24 Member
    I weigh every day at the same time of day, but only at the beginning of a diet, in other words the first one to two weeks. After that I weigh twice a week.

My best measure is actually my favorite jeans. At the moment that would be my "fat" jeans, which I can barely zip (sigh), but over the years, I have found this to be one of the most encouraging measures of what matters to me in terms of size. And by that I mean feeling tighter as well as smaller, whatever the scale says on a given day.

At my goal weight, kind of like Miranda, I'm in my favorite skinny jeans. And able to breathe!

If the scale isn't telling me what I want to hear, but the fit of my jeans is, then I'm OK with it and it keeps me from getting discouraged.

• pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    Every other weekend, at work on the calibrated medical scale. My home scale fluctuates too much depending on where I stand.

It gives me nice numbers and keeps me from obsessing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Never=not often enough
    More than once a day=too much

So somewhere in between there.

A lot of people have issues with weighing every day because of fluctuations up and down. If that is something that would bother you, then daily might be too much. I do weigh every morning, but I keep track in a tracking app that smooths out the fluctuations so I can see the overall trend.

Hi hun,know exactly where youre coming from with the fluctuations.it keeps reli gettin me down and then wanting to go off track :( can i ask which app u use please?to smooth out the fluctuations please hun x

It's really a case of what kind of phone you use. Android has Libra, iOS has HappyScale. There are others that don't require a phone but another kind of connection...Trendweight is online, and it requires either a Fitbit or Withings account.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Every day. I don't log every day. I keep the peaks and nadirs in mind. If I were over 156, I'd be a bit worried. If I were under 153, I'd do a little celebration dance. But I'm usually just looking to be in that window.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2017
    Everytime I go to the gym, which is 2-3 times a week. Just keep perspective. Up or down 3 pounds could mean a big breakfast or you just had a bowel movement. Like someone else suggested use trend weight from fit bit.

Also, go by how you feel. Most of my pants and shorts are loose now. My waist size is smaller than a 32 now.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Daily, first thing after waking.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Sunday mornings when I get up and after I pee. If I happen to be out of town on Sunday I do it Monday.