Leftover unhealthy food

13»

Replies

• ellejaymonae
    ellejaymonae Posts: 9 Member
    I paid $80.00 for my son's Pokemon birthday cake to a local baker... it was delicious and calorie dense af. There were 3 pieces left over, and then I ate them all. The end

Good for you!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I freeze anything yummy leftover, but after a couple of weeks in the freezer- it ends up looking so bad that I eventually toss it!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you are single you could buy a smaller version in the grocery store instead of getting a fuller size pizza or like someone else said - freeze it.

In my house it all gets eaten since we have 3 kids eating and my husband. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have no problem throwing leftovers out if I don't want them. They'll either go in the compost to help me grow more food next year, or a critter will eat it.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited July 2017
    Normally, I don't have to worry about it because my husband or son will come and "clear out" all the more calorie dense foods I normally want to eat, however.. when my husband isn't around, I usually just end up parceling it out and doing that whole "I can overcome this with willpower" thing. So for pizza: I eat the one slice I know I really want and then eat something most would consider better for you.. like fruit or a small salad. If I still really want more pizza, then I just eat it, count it and eat less later on in the day.. or I make that particular day my "heavy eating" day and make up for it somewhere else during the week.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    I have no problem throwing away food. We have a lot of parties and end up with a lot of food I don't want. I ask people to take stuff but if they don't in the trash it goes. Especially if it's something that's going to take up a lot of my meager calories.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    litoria wrote: »
    I give all my "leftover" food to my chickens, the worse it is, seems the more they like it. Let them turn junk food into nutritious eggs :-)

That's funny you mention chickens. I raise them as well as a few of my friends do. One in particular gives their chickens everything! I always just stick to veggies for them. I would think that meat is probably not good for them, buy hey, what do I know.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    litoria wrote: »
    I give all my "leftover" food to my chickens, the worse it is, seems the more they like it. Let them turn junk food into nutritious eggs :-)

That's funny you mention chickens. I raise them as well as a few of my friends do. One in particular gives their chickens everything! I always just stick to veggies for them. I would think that meat is probably not good for them, buy hey, what do I know.

I too have chickens and stick to fruit and veg and some bread stuff for them. They are definitely meat eaters (mine are ardent mousers) but I don't feed them anything from the kitchen meat-wise just because it's usually been seasoned or whatever. I did have one bird pass from fatty liver disease and the vet advised less kitchen scraps, so that's always on my mind.

/thread hijack over/
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    I know it's a cliche and sounds silly but I tell this to myself every time:
    "better in the waste than on your waist".
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Second and third the "you are not a garbage disposal".
    Do you have food recycling where you live? If so the discarded food will be turned into compost so will not be wasted after all.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I know it's a cliche and sounds silly but I tell this to myself every time:
    "better in the waste than on your waist".

My cliche statement is "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"

And to OP - I guess I lucked out. Whenever I have trigger food in the house, I usually end up giving the leftovers to the dog so long as it's safe to do so. Otherwise, in the trash it goes if I don't feel like it's worth budgeting calories for the next day! Ive worked too hard to get where I am to let food control me. Don't feel obligated to eat something that you don't want to eat - good mental prep work for parties and get togethers when you have to say no to others instead of just yourself.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I paid $80.00 for my son's Pokemon birthday cake to a local baker... it was delicious and calorie dense af. There were 3 pieces left over, and then I ate them all. The end

This is probably the most honest and truest reflection of myself I have ever heard in relation to food. Bonus points for a Pokemon cake. Kinda want to see a picture of it now.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    For pizza, we food saver each individual piece and freeze
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Toss it if my husband doesn't eat it within a short time frame.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Really wondering what kind of margherita pizza you're eating that is so calorific. If it's traditional, it's one of the most calorie friendly choices at an Italian restaurant.

In fact, I just ate at a new little wood fired Neapolitan place, my husband and I split a Caesar salad, and a margherita pizza with prosciutto and arugula added, and I had a glass of wine. I estimate about 1000 cals for that dinner. Lots of ways to cut it back, but in fact, I had cinnamon gelato too.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    My SO and I struggle with this all the time. We will completely smash sweets and "bad" food when we have it. We try our best to combat this by simply not bringing it into the house. When we do, we try to get smaller portions to avoid leftovers.

Just keep in mind, two days of pizza aren't going to destroy a month's worth of calorie deficit. After water weight has stabilized, you likely won't even notice it. Just don't make it a habit.

Intermittent fasting is a great tool for days when you know you're going to eat high calorie food. I lost most of my first 60 lbs eating a huge meal before work and a light "snack" when I got home.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Divide it into meals and freeze, like a fast food version of meal prep.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    We try to minimize our wastage so tossing food because its high calorie is nothing that we do. If we overeat due to a party n too many leftovers we'will just eat less the next few days to balance it out.
    Chips n chocolate do usually not spoil so best to keep it till you feel like eating it again. If unopened we bring to the next party
    We try to freeze very ripe fruit either as piece or pureed for smoothies to avoid throwing them. Especially for banana since the batch is either over ripe or raw.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

This is probably the most honest and truest reflection of myself I have ever heard in relation to food. Bonus points for a Pokemon cake. Kinda want to see a picture of it now.

It probably looked better before it was eaten. ;)B)