Run in heat?

2»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    If you've never run in the heat before, you probably shouldn't start now... Run earlier in the morning, later at night, or somewhere heavily shaded. Run on the treadmill or an indoor track or find something else to do. Acclimate yourself to the heat/humidity--run way shorter distances at a way slower pace. Know your body and if it doesn't feel good, don't do it. Drink lots of water.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    I don't handle the heat well. I'm fortunate enough to have an indoor track at my gym so that's where I do most of my runs.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    North Carolina...I'm heat intolerant and very thankful to be a member of a gym with an indoor track!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Texas here - I get up and run at 5am. It is the "coolest" part of the day. I can't wait for summer to be over.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    I get up at 4:30 and am on a run by 5:15. It's actually more humid at that time of day, but the temp is the lowest and no sun beating my dome.
    I have also heard that staying with slow summer running will bring better fall results.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    If the early morning is low 70's or under here in Jersey, I'll run outside. Anything hotter and I run the risk of triggering a migraine. I stay indoors and run on my treadmill.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I have a treadmill, so if the heat index is above 90 or so, I run indoors. If you do run outdoors, go either very early or very late, look for shade, bring water, and run significantly slower than your usual pace. I'll sometimes take a break and sit in the shade to get my HR back down, because it often skyrockets in the heat.

same here but I have my treadmill in the garage so it can be pretty hot
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    South Carolinian here. I run at 6am while it's coolest. Take it pretty slow when it heats up and I chug a bottle of water before I leave the house.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2017
    Im in Florida, and yes I run in the heat. I don't go as fast and make sure to replenish electrolytes when needed. There are some great hot weather running tips in the long distance runners group threads if you are interested!

Tampa, FL here, where at 8 am in August, I sweat from the house to the car. If I am going to run, I am up at 6 am. Currently second week of c25k