Too weak to exercise; don't know what to do

I had a kidney infection last Thursday and I was really sick, in a lot of pain and pretty much bed ridden for a few days. I didnt eat much during this time either. Fortunately, I was put on a course of antibiotics and recovered very quickly. By Tuesday I was pretty much back to normal and on Tuesday evening I decided to do some running but I could only do about 10 minutes before I felt completely exhausted. I can see now that this was a mistake as I had to spend most of Wednesday in bed to recover.
But I was getting restless and decided to do half an hour of yoga this evening to ease myself back into some exercise but 15 minutes in I couldn't do anymore as I was overcome with exhaustion. It's really frustrating as I can feel all the work I put into my flutes before I was ill wasting away.
I don't know if I should spend even longer sedentary or try and force myself past the exhaustion.

Replies

• mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's been a week, your muscles aren't wasting away yet. Take the time to recover fully or you'll be out even longer.

exactly
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Eat and rehydrate. If 15 min was too much, try just 10 min of easy walking or stretching. Increase slowly over the week until you are feeling back to normal. If it takes longer, you may want to check in with your doctor.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I've been out two weeks so far with a chest infection. Take it really slowly - if ten minutes is too much then do less or something gentler. Maybe start with a gentle walk? If you ease back in gently it'll be surprising how quickly your fitness comes back.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    How about 10-12 minute bursts of yoga or even chair yoga, and gentle calisthenics 3 or 4 times a day? That way you're still moving, still getting benefit, but not taxing it until your body is able to handle it again.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I don't know if I should spend even longer sedentary or try and force myself past the exhaustion.

i can't speak about something as serious as what you had, but i caught the Deadly Flu that was levelling my city last winter. apparently i must be 'strong' because i was up again after two days instead of two weeks, but it still took me about a month to feel like my full mojo was back.

what i have to offer is: there isn't much point in using pre-sickness ability to determine what you should do now, because now is a different time from back then. let your body tell you what it can do right now, and listen to it. and then keep listening as your recovery grows.

the hard part is the leap of faith in trusting that doing it this way will actually get you back to where you want to be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's been a week, your muscles aren't wasting away yet. Take the time to recover fully or you'll be out even longer.

This.

'Pushing through' exhaustion when its caused by a kidney infrction wont help.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've had a tiring day today and I'll spend tomorrow recovering and then I'll try and ease into some gentle yoga or walking on Monday. Hopefully I'll be back to running soon though.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Kidney infection is serious. Recover first. Rest, your body needs it. I had a kidney infection years ago and it was scary. Build your strength up slowly. Short walks work.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    It took me about 2 weeks to feel normal after the last kidney infection I had so just take it slow. Do a little bit more each day until you start to feel better. If you want to be outside, maybe go for a fast walk instead of running.

I'm actually starting week 6 of recovering from an emergency appendectomy and I can tell you that your muscle hasn't started to disappear in a few days. Logistically speaking. You feel weak because you are from an infection, not muscle loss. Don't let fear make you do something silly and end up injuring yourself. Take care and you'll be back on the horse soon enough. :heart:
  • shrinkyy
    shrinkyy Posts: 21 Member
    Short walks to get blood flowing, gentle exercise. Look into recolonising gut flora after antibiotics for your immune health, fatigue and general recovery. There is still probably inflammation from the kidney infection. Can leave you very exhausted. You will start to feel better
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Chair yoga is supposed to be good for people recovering from illness. I'm sure there must be some videos on youtube that could get you started.
  • czmiles926
    shrinkyy wrote: »
    Short walks to get blood flowing, gentle exercise. Look into recolonising gut flora after antibiotics for your immune health, fatigue and general recovery. There is still probably inflammation from the kidney infection. Can leave you very exhausted. You will start to feel better

I've eaten so much probiotic yogurt to help negate any side effects from the antibiotics. I'm going to try some gentle yoga today and see how it goes.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    when i'm sick or recovering, i just rest. You prolong recovery by pushing your body too hard when it needs to heal.
  • Jessyperry
    Jessyperry Posts: 15 Member
    I recently had a double kidney infection and the doctor told me I had to stay in bed for 2 weeks. Then he said to slowly start reintegrating exercise. I was physically exhausted, but started off just by taking walks around the neighborhood and afterwards if I was up for it I would do some squats or donkey kicks and then shower afterwards to try to wake me up.
  • czmiles926
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I was just frustrated because I felt like I was completely better, but obviously I was still recovering internally. I just did half an hour of gentle yoga and I feel so much better: I'm on the road to building it back up again!