Frustrating Month but still going

This has been a frustrating month of ups and downs, losing the same 2-4 pounds over and over again. But on the plus side, I have not allowed it to discourage me to the point of abandoning my efforts.

In the past I really would've fallen victim to the "What's the point?! Eat everything!" mentality. But from experience I know what comes with that. Being even further from my goals, feeling defeated and angry with myself, hating food and my body and my lack of willpower.

There definitely have been points so far these past few weeks where I've thought about just throwing my hands up in the air and eating junk food and not tracking... but the thought of hating myself stops me.

I'm tired of hating myself. I want to like myself. And even if the weight isn't doing the obedient linear thing, I want to at least feel proud of my efforts. I am sick of punishing myself with food, under the guise of making myself feel better. I know where that road leads: It leads to me in front of the mirror, just hating what I'm seeing. It's such a negative place and I don't want to go there.

So for now that is what is motivating me to get beyond this zig zag period. I imagine post-binge, me hating myself and I don't want that.

Plus reading people post about their journeys and where they ended up helps me envision a day when I can say: Oh yes, I've been there and now look at me! 100 pounds down!

That's what I want!!

Replies

• canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Its the dont give up mentality that will get results even if not at the rate you would like. I seem to lose nothing for weeks then scales go down 1-2lbs and looking back am averaging this every 5 weeks or so, pretty close to first goal of healthy bmi. Keep going, you've come this far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Patience and persistence are practically magic. You've got the right idea!

People who keep going eventually succeed. People who don't, never succeed.

There may be some practical adjustments in details needed along the way, but you're on the success track. Keep up the goodness!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    I know what you mean about giving up. During my injury recovery period I was trying to cut calories. Because of my physical limitations, I couldn't exercise. I would actually wake up in the middle of the night and eat. My food of choice was carbs. The next day I would start again, rinse and repeat to eat more food during the night. Vicious cycle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about giving up. During my injury recovery period I was trying to cut calories. Because of my physical limitations, I couldn't exercise. I would actually wake up in the middle of the night and eat. My food of choice was carbs. The next day I would start again, rinse and repeat to eat more food during the night. Vicious cycle.

Oh, man. That's tough. I hope you found some other happy macros? Soldier on, best wishes!
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    canarysal wrote: »
    Its the dont give up mentality that will get results even if not at the rate you would like. I seem to lose nothing for weeks then scales go down 1-2lbs and looking back am averaging this every 5 weeks or so, pretty close to first goal of healthy bmi. Keep going, you've come this far.

Thank you. It's these stories of eventual success that keep me going.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Patience and persistence are practically magic. You've got the right idea!

People who keep going eventually succeed. People who don't, never succeed.

There may be some practical adjustments in details needed along the way, but you're on the success track. Keep up the goodness!

Thank you. I am holding on to those beliefs for dear life! :)
    Polo265 wrote: »

Yes exactly. Knowing that it's vicious has been reminding me not to go down that path. Let's both stay strong!
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    I lost a grand total of .4 pound this month. It was me and my husband's birthday month, we had a party, yada yada. Up two, down two, up three, down 2. So no real progress for July. But I always knew this was a long-term thing, and I know exactly what I did to thwart my loss, so I know exactly how to get back to it. And back to it I am. I just live here now. It's a good thing most of you are pretty darn smart.
  • kyubeans
    MossiO wrote: »
    I lost a grand total of .4 pound this month. It was me and my husband's birthday month, we had a party, yada yada. Up two, down two, up three, down 2. So no real progress for July. But I always knew this was a long-term thing, and I know exactly what I did to thwart my loss, so I know exactly how to get back to it. And back to it I am. I just live here now. It's a good thing most of you are pretty darn smart.

Glad to see I'm not in it alone. This IS a long-term thing, and we know how to get back on that horse. Good luck! Keep going!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm right at a weight where I was a month ago. It's not a plateau. It's not stuck. It's just a bit slower to re-lose the weight gained from the celebration of last week. I hope for many more years, decades, of such distress.
  • kyubeans
    I'm right at a weight where I was a month ago. It's not a plateau. It's not stuck. It's just a bit slower to re-lose the weight gained from the celebration of last week. I hope for many more years, decades, of such distress.

And in a year's time, I hope to join you in that same distress! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There is no "obedient linear thing." You are successfully maintaining. Cut out a couple of snacks each day or slightly reduce portion sizes. Increase your exercise/activity by 10%. These things should work together to create the deficit needed to lose again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    @MossiO 4 lbs a month is great especially with all your special events! Not sure why you would call it no real progress. It's a healthy and sustainable pace.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2017
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @MossiO 4 lbs a month is great especially with all your special events! Not sure why you would call it no real progress. It's a healthy and sustainable pace.

@lorrpb You didn't see that period in front of the 4! Four tenths of a pound this month. :blush:
  • kyubeans
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There is no "obedient linear thing." You are successfully maintaining. Cut out a couple of snacks each day or slightly reduce portion sizes. Increase your exercise/activity by 10%. These things should work together to create the deficit needed to lose again.

Yes, I know there's no obedient linear thing... I was being tongue in cheek :) Sorry about that -- should've been clearer. And fortunately (thanks to these boards!) I know what I need to do... Doin' it is the trick :smiley:
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    I went up and down the same 3 pounds for 6 weeks. One thing that helped me was 1) realizing it had been 6 weeks with basically no changes and 2) to really focus on tighter logging even if I "just had 1 bite" because those add up. The scale is moving again!
    Just keep going! You've got this!!
  • kyubeans
    MrsDan1667 wrote: »
    I went up and down the same 3 pounds for 6 weeks. One thing that helped me was 1) realizing it had been 6 weeks with basically no changes and 2) to really focus on tighter logging even if I "just had 1 bite" because those add up. The scale is moving again!
    Just keep going! You've got this!!

Yes! Thank you! You're right - after 6 weeks with no change, I also had to re-assess what I had been eating and how accurately I had been logging. It's such a good reminder to keep using the tools correctly. So glad your scale is moving again -- I will draw inspiration from it. :)