Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is smoking making a comeback in 2017?

Bry_Fitness70
Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
As insane as this may sound, I’m fairly sure that smoking is making a comeback. Sadly, my evidence is people smoking at outside of restaurants and in playgrounds, amusement parks, water parks, and camp grounds I have been at throughout the summer (anecdote alert). Because who doesn’t love walking with their kids through a cloud of second hand smoke or watching them playing while trying to avoid the cigarette butts thrown everywhere? Good times…

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    I personally haven't seen it. I work in a school and back in the day, there would be a "hang out" where kids would smoke. I haven't seen anything in any of the middle schools where that's prevalent. Now high schools and colleges could be different. Also out in public, I don't see it that much and I'm out walking or biking sometime every day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Seems pretty much the same as ever to me (down overall since some years ago, more visible in some ways since everyone forced it outside to specific areas). I see e-cigs more (which I find annoying because of the weird sweet cloud of smoke), but I assume that's people trying to quit, so good for them.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Yeah, the rate has to be much lower than decades ago, but still much higher than I would expect, given our understanding of the medical consequences and the high cost of smoking. Beyond the e-cigarette people, I seem to see a lot of people smoking in vehicles, too.

I grew up in a cloud of secondhand smoke (both parents smoked several packs a day), with no one associating this to my severe “allergies and asthma” as a kid (I actually received allergy shots for years). Once I was an adult and was able to reduce my exposure to second hand smoke, my “allergies and asthma” were miraculously cured.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    While the data is two years old (2015) sales are officially down, but I agree and have seen more smoking in the last few months. Then again I've been taking my kids to the nearby skate park where teens are smoking.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    I don't feel that I am seeing more smokers. I do get a little bit annoyed at some of the e-cig users who seem to think it's ok to smoke those inside, or right in front of your face, where traditional cigarette users seem to be more respectful. I realize e-cigs are "more healthy", but if you think they are as healthy as non polluted air then you have your head up your you know what, IMO. My MIL is like that, she was astounded when we were told her she wasn't smoking that crap in our house.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I once told an aspiring politician that cigarette odors were the smell of freedom. I didn't and don't and don't expect to start, but you should be free to even if my assertion from 2 decades ago is no longer valid.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I've seen more open vaping than I've seen smoking (vaping right before going in the gym even). At least that smells a bit better.

I'm one of those people who used to smoke (quit 30 years ago) who turned into an evangelistic anti-smoker. I loathe it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Seems pretty much the same as ever to me (down overall since some years ago, more visible in some ways since everyone forced it outside to specific areas). I see e-cigs more (which I find annoying because of the weird sweet cloud of smoke), but I assume that's people trying to quit, so good for them.

Sadly, I'm not sure most of them are. E-cigs and vaping have become especially trendy. I'd guess that as many people starting a nicotine habit via e-cigs as are kicking one. :(
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Fewer smokers, but they're all more visible now, especially in the summer months, because fewer and fewer smoke indoors. Which is great, I think.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't know if it's become more common but I live in Northeast Georgia in a small town outside Atlanta and smoking is insanely common here. Much more so than other places I've lived. It's a pretty low income rural area and I think that's part of why it's so common. I would love to get out but we're tied here for the time being.
  • givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    I was actually mentioning this to my husband the other day. I don't know if more people are taking up smoking or if the stigma attached to smoking is decreasing because of the increasing popularity of legalized marijuana and so they just don't hide it as much anymore.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I haven't seen it, personally, but Seattle banned children a long time ago. And most of what I see people smoking in parks isn't tobacco.

Is that legal?

Oh - great minds.

It's Seattle. Social justice > legality everytime. Only superseded by Portland.

I spent a week in Seattle a few years ago for a work conference and I felt like the entire city was completely baked.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    It's probably because it's illegal to smoke in most places that you notice the smokers out more.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I hate it when I go hiking and someone is smoking on the trail.

Vaping has created a funny thing where I can be in early morning commuter traffic and someone near me rolls down a window and clouds of smoke/vapor billow out..... Looks like it came out of a 1990s rap video...