My rant of annoyance for tonight

Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
It's almost 8pm on a Wednesday night... what am I doing? Sitting here reading the grocery store ads and looking at all the food on sale that I can't/shouldn't buy.

I'm pissed :angry:

Ice cream is on sale, so are chips, soda, bakery treats, butter and prepared frozen foods like mozzarella sticks, pizza and stuffed mushrooms. Meat is on sale - like racks of ribs, chicken wings and chuck roasts, pretty much every single kind of meat except for 90% ground beef, pork loin and boneless chicken breast (which are pretty much the only 3 things I buy anymore) Canned pasta is on sale, Hamburger Helper is on sale, Frozen dinners are on sale, kids sweetened cereals are on sale, even Hostess snack cakes are on sale!! Those little yogurts that come with the mix in candies on top?? Yep - on sale too. OK, I think russet potatoes were on sale too- but that was about the only thing remotely healthy.

They also have a hot bar where pretzel sandwiches and creamed soups and prepared any-flavor-sauce-you-want-chicken-wings are on sale!

Why does it seem like the rest of the world can just eat whatever they want and I can't. Why is it that all of these things I am not supposed to be eating are what is always on sale? The only freakin' week of the year that anything healthy is on sale is New Years week because the whole world is on a diet and the stores know it!

I'm just annoyed right now. It is really bothering me a lot tonight that I know for the rest of my life I'm going to have to watch every single morsel of food that enters my mouth or I will get fat again. I know I'm not the ONLY one who has to live like this but it sure does feel like it sometimes.

I ate out tonight at a restaurant - I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich that was served on an untoasted un-buttered wheat roll. Yes, it had some sort of flavored mayo topping, but it didn't seem to be more than a tablespoon, wasn't oozing off or anything. So - I come home and look it up and it was 600 calories!! How the heck can a chicken breast on a medium sized wheat roll topped with this little bit of mayo spread, lettuce and tomato possibly have 600 calories??!! What the heck did they do to it, inject it with oil?? :wink:

So - life is not fair. I want to eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it and go to bed happy and not worrying about getting fat. This will never happen for me and it's bugging the crap out of me right now. Yea - I know, I said that already

:angry:

edit because it aint friday night - it's only wednesday! :laugh:

Replies

• Wolfena
    It's almost 8pm on a Wednesday night... what am I doing? Sitting here reading the grocery store ads and looking at all the food on sale that I can't/shouldn't buy.

I'm pissed :angry:

Ice cream is on sale, so are chips, soda, bakery treats, butter and prepared frozen foods like mozzarella sticks, pizza and stuffed mushrooms. Meat is on sale - like racks of ribs, chicken wings and chuck roasts, pretty much every single kind of meat except for 90% ground beef, pork loin and boneless chicken breast (which are pretty much the only 3 things I buy anymore) Canned pasta is on sale, Hamburger Helper is on sale, Frozen dinners are on sale, kids sweetened cereals are on sale, even Hostess snack cakes are on sale!! Those little yogurts that come with the mix in candies on top?? Yep - on sale too. OK, I think russet potatoes were on sale too- but that was about the only thing remotely healthy.

They also have a hot bar where pretzel sandwiches and creamed soups and prepared any-flavor-sauce-you-want-chicken-wings are on sale!

Why does it seem like the rest of the world can just eat whatever they want and I can't. Why is it that all of these things I am not supposed to be eating are what is always on sale? The only freakin' week of the year that anything healthy is on sale is New Years week because the whole world is on a diet and the stores know it!

I'm just annoyed right now. It is really bothering me a lot tonight that I know for the rest of my life I'm going to have to watch every single morsel of food that enters my mouth or I will get fat again. I know I'm not the ONLY one who has to live like this but it sure does feel like it sometimes.

I ate out tonight at a restaurant - I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich that was served on an untoasted un-buttered wheat roll. Yes, it had some sort of flavored mayo topping, but it didn't seem to be more than a tablespoon, wasn't oozing off or anything. So - I come home and look it up and it was 600 calories!! How the heck can a chicken breast on a medium sized wheat roll topped with this little bit of mayo spread, lettuce and tomato possibly have 600 calories??!! What the heck did they do to it, inject it with oil?? :wink:

So - life is not fair. I want to eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it and go to bed happy and not worrying about getting fat. This will never happen for me and it's bugging the crap out of me right now. Yea - I know, I said that already

:angry:

edit because it aint friday night - it's only wednesday! :laugh:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I understand how you feel, really, I do...but think about it. Does your body REALLY need all those foods mentioned to survive??? The answer is NO of course. Think about how well you are feeding your body now. You are not punishing yourself with good food. On the contrary, you are doing the right thing. And you can still have what you want just limit it...I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • I know what you mean! Food shopping can be a PURE nightmare sometimes. I feel like every thing I SHOULD NEVER EVER EAT AGAIN is half off. or by one get one!
    I feel your pain :mad:
  • OMG I just laughed through that whole post...how did you like read my mind???? The calories most likely came from the bread...you'd be surprised what they sneak into that "healthy whole wheat" bread! I am ready though...this is a life change...this time I WILL SUCCEED!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    What I do is go around the store, I don't even go down to look at the goodies, when I need cereal I send my daughter and she has a list of what I want. But yeah I'm peeved that you can get the surgar coated cereal for like 2 bucks cheaper than a healthy one. I think It's a conspiracy, the stores are in on it with the doctors, so making us obese will cause problems thus we go to the doctor :laugh: Oh I'm ready to go home :laugh:
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    I know where you are coming from. Healthy foods for you are always expensive and never on sale, and sometimes they are hard to find, whereas all the crap food is cheap and you can always find it.:grumble: But I agree with alf1163, once you have been eating healthy and feeding your body what it deserves, the difference in how you feel is amazing and that feeling alone is enough to keep me from eating the crap food. That's not to say I am NEVER going to eat a piece of deep dish pizza, or a slice of pie, etc...but these types of foods don't run my life anymore.:smile:

109912.png
  • I completely understand where you are coming from and thus here I am again watching each little morsel that goes into my mouth because after 6 years of not watching it I am miserable and out of shape. Back after it and this time with more exercise so I can indulge in yummies without the guilt.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I get frustrated with the lack of sales for healthier foods too!

I can occasionally get a "light" ice cream but that's about it.

And I hate that the season determines what fruit and berries are on sale.
  • Wolfena
    I understand how you feel, really, I do...but think about it. Does your body REALLY need all those foods mentioned to survive??? The answer is NO of course. Think about how well you are feeding your body now. You are not punishing yourself with good food. On the contrary, you are doing the right thing. And you can still have what you want just limit it...I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

It's not about what my body NEEDS.... The fact is I want to sit on the couch and eat a pint of ice cream or a (big) bag of Doritos while I watch TV. I want a juicy steak with a baked potato oozing with butter and sour cream for dinner. I want to go out for lunch for chinese food and have a big egg roll and plate of General Tso's chicken with fried rice, I want to make Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls for breakfast on the weekend- maybe with an entire pound of crisped bacon to go with them. When they're having cake for a coworker at work I want a big piece! When I stop to get my coffee in the morning I want to eat one of those sausage egg and cheese croissants to go with it- and maybe a donut (or two) as well! If I don't feel like cooking I want to be able to buy a bucket of KFC or a supreme pizza on my way home, and eat as much as I want.

It's what I WANT - has nothing to do with my body needs. Of course I don't NEED any of these things! Most of the time I don't eat them.... I just really really really really REALLY want them! ALL OF THEM!

Ugh- I hope this feeling soon passes. :ohwell:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    IT'S A LIE! The rest of the world does NOT eat that crap all the time and not gain weight! That is what ads WANT you to think!!!!! NOT TRUE! The reason we have more and more obese people is that people believe that nonsense. The human body is not supposed to eat garbage! Honest! Get mad at the advertising companies that twist things by putting skinny people in ads for fast food and other such garbage!
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    " The rest of the world " you are talking about is 70-80 % obese.. and is not at the level you are at. They are still struggling to make the move to boycot all that processed- gressey- stuff.

Why is it on sale ? Bc High fructose is cheaper - than " organic yogurts..
    fat meat- is cheaper b/c fat IS cheaper than meat..
    why is pork and this and that on sale and chicken breast or fish rarely ever ? .. Think about it.

On sale is the stuff that ppl are buying.. most ppl eat that stuff - if everyone ate fish instead of " fist sticks" i bet the fish would be on sale ..

" The rest of the world " - maybe eats all the stuff that you and i don't.. but while you and I go to bed maybe with a little emptier stomach- and a few inflamed muscles from working out- the rest of the world wakes up in the middle of the night with all the heart burn from all the greesy wings.. and pizza..
    or cry themselves to sleep b/c " once more they failed and gave in instead of sticking to a plan "

I used to be most of my life in the ' rest of the world " group, wishing i had the energy and strength to be in " your world " - ate all the ice creams on sale- and cried myself to sleep.. bc i hated myself for it..

Be happy that you are not " the rest of the world " .. you are treating your body with healthy food, you give a mind about what you put in it.. - and yes there are days when you feel " allone " with the carrot sticks while others eat there greese.. but - one day .. you will see that this carrot sticks will pay you off.. when you are in your 50, 60, and still active and healthy for your age, while " the rest of the world " suffers from diabetis , high colesterol , high blood pressure and morbede obesety in theire 30s !

I don't know about you , but as for me- they can have all the ice cream of the world on sale- i look at it and think " why should i put this in my body ? it is not worth it ! and especially not when there are healthier alternatives that can be " just as satisfieng " if we only would give it some time and ' search " for the alternatives..
    :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    i feel your pain.

i think trying to pay off debt over the last 3+ years has helped me with my diet in a weird way. i cant buy everything like i used to, back in the credit card days. but man do i love to walk around target and cover the entire building just thinking of things i would love to buy just for fun. sometimes i come across things on clearance that i can buy and its so rewarding!

so, this is what i do at the grocery store. i do go down most every asile. i just keep the same mentality - i cant buy it but i can look at it! sometimes i come across something healthy i wasnt looking for and get all excited - or something on sale that i DO need.

this approach helps me. i used to loathe going grocery shopping. but after this lifestyle change, i enjoy it almost as much as 'window' shopping at target!

:drinker:
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    I guess we were posting at the same time..

I understand what you are saying, but at moments like this you have to be realistic.

What do you want more ? I'm sitting here writing you , on a half empty stomach, - no more calories left for tonight- and i'm tired.. my TOM started, i have the worst cravings for suugar,chocolate, cakes.. name it.. i think i would load a truck of'em without a problem .. and i don' " want " to go exercise right now.. but :

i don't want to be obese for the rest of my life
    i don't want to be here tomorrow am crying " oh.. i messed up ate a gallon of ice cream and have other ppl tap me on the shoulder saying " oh it's ok honey , you can fix it tomorrow"
    it's not ok !

I'm fat ! if i was happy with it- i guess i wouldn't be here, i wouldn't be reading all this posts, connecting with you all , crying in every changing room b/c nothing fits me, hating shoping, hating everything..

What do you want more ?

A short moment of indulgence - and a new circle of " regreting, frustration, anger, depression, feeling of failure..
    or a investment for a lifetime ?

picture your goal.. I see myself 100 lbs less .. I want to be like the " rest of the world " and buy clothes in a regular store, with regular sizes, i no longer want to shop in the " super sized woman dept. ' size 20 jeans or what ever.. no

" i want to be like the rest of the world " and wear a size.. 10 ? 8? .. even that seems like a dream..

you have to stay strong.. what is it that is bugging you .. it is not the food !

are you angry at someone/something ?
    are you lonely ?
    is it the TOM ?
    are you stressed out over something ? job, ? kids ?

it is something else- not food ! but that something else we don't identify and we just medicate it with food. .. that's what we are trained of.. the only " legal " drug - is food .. it's a drug.. we are food-addicts..
    sorry if i'm rough- but sometimes we all need just a reality check.. i guess all the " jillian michaels " podcasts made me rough :) ..
  • Wolfena
    " The rest of the world " you are talking about is 70-80 % obese.. and is not at the level you are at. They are still struggling to make the move to boycot all that processed- gressey- stuff.

You know what.... I know this. Even when we were eating out tonight, I looked around and not one person in that restaurant was anywhere close to a healthy weight. I realize it is not my place to judge another persons eating habits or body shape, but when you're sitting in a place surrounded by morbidly obese people - it makes you think. There must be a reason that all of these people have that one thing in common- perhaps it's the food from that very restaurant! Yes, I sat alongside them tonight and ate off the very same menu. I also know that I won't be doing it on a daily basis - I enjoyed my chicken sandwich tonight (and french fries... shared with my boyfriend)- but I don't want to become "just one of that crowd" again. It's kinda scary because it would be so incredibly easy to let it happen.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    I totally understand. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted before I came to college, and I was totally skinny no matter what! I thought I would just always be like that - WRONG!! Freshman 15 came late but when it came, it was more than 15 . . . :sad:

When I feel like that, I try to think about the years I'm adding to my life by exercising and eating *more* healthy than I was . . . it helps me with that "why me??" pity party I have every few weeks.

And I hate grocery shopping - bad food is cheap and healthy food is expensive, makes a very difficult situation for a poor college student like me!

I feel your pain! :flowerforyou:
  • I'm so glad I read this!! It really made me think. I think the way I have changed myself is remembering that I like a these foods that are required of a lifestyle change!! I DO like vegetables! I DO like fruit!! I was just in such a habit of liking the pizza, and the fried food that I forgot about those other things!! I had to do a moderate transition. I could never had done it cold turkey. I just started incorporating these other things into my diet gradually. And so far, every shopping trip, I find at least one more thing that I forgot I liked!! Blueberries for example...I hadn't eaten blueberries in YEARS!!! I didn't even think I liked them!! Fooled me!! I do!!

I guess we all just have to make that transition at our own pace and remind ourselves of the good foods we all forgot we liked!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    i know exactly how you
    i went to dinner with friends last night
    while they were ordering sweet and sour chicken with lo mein, i was eating grilled chicken with vegetables. while they went to cold stone after and got all of my favorite kinds of ice cream, i stuck with the low fat sweet cream... its not fair now. but i'm hoping in twenty or thirty years, it will catch up with all of them. here's hoping...
  • i know exactly how you
    i went to dinner with friends last night
    while they were ordering sweet and sour chicken with lo mein, i was eating grilled chicken with vegetables. while they went to cold stone after and got all of my favorite kinds of ice cream, i stuck with the low fat sweet cream... its not fair now. but i'm hoping in twenty or thirty years, it will catch up with all of them. here's hoping...

Good will power!! :drinker:

We all "hate" ourselves right now but we all know where we'll be by sticking by this "hell" we're living in!! Alive & healthy!!!! And like you said, it's not fair now but the end result is so much more gratifying than the worse case scenario!!
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    i feel your pain.

i think trying to pay off debt over the last 3+ years has helped me with my diet in a weird way. i cant buy everything like i used to, back in the credit card days. but man do i love to walk around target and cover the entire building just thinking of things i would love to buy just for fun. sometimes i come across things on clearance that i can buy and its so rewarding!

so, this is what i do at the grocery store. i do go down most every asile. i just keep the same mentality - i cant buy it but i can look at it! sometimes i come across something healthy i wasnt looking for and get all excited - or something on sale that i DO need.

this approach helps me. i used to loathe going grocery shopping. but after this lifestyle change, i enjoy it almost as much as 'window' shopping at target!

:drinker:

I think we must be related some how... or else youre in my head and I want you OUT now!!!

i would have even worded it the same, but maybe used an explitive here and there... except for the debt thing... that sucks, good for you for getting out if it!

Wolfena, hang in there! you will find some good food on sale soon! its winter most of teh good food is more expensive at least the Veg's by me are...
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    This is a good thread. It hit home for me because 1 month into my new way of eating, and every once in a while I start to feel sorry for myself. At the beginning I was so anxious to get healthier and shed the 20 lbs I have put on over the last year and a half. I'm halfway there, but now and then I feel like I lose my steam. Sometimes I want to just go back to mindlessly eating junk food and sweetened snack treats. Yes, some times this stinks. But the rest of the world, that eats whatever they want? They are just a few steps behind us, is all. Eat junk and you will most likely become overweight and out of shape and definitely unhealthy. It is a fact. Eating like that is a sinking ship, and we are already on the lifeboats rowing away.

*To keep sane I have instigated my own "cheat day" eat week. I still eat a good breakfast, but the rest of the day it is whatever I feel like. The only rule? I can't over eat. I have to stop myself before I feel full. It is helpful to me to be able to say "I'll eat that on Sunday" instead of "I don't get to eat that anymore". Over the past month since I started this new way of eating, it has kept me on track the rest of the week, and I haven't gained anything extra (just slowed down what I would have lost by a little bit!) Since this "healthy diet" isn't something I plan on picking up for a while and then putting down when I have "lost the weight", going at a slightly slower pace doesn't really make a difference.