But I was doing so good...

thebestyear2017
thebestyear2017 Posts: 36 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Looking to kindly hear from anyone who has overcome a significant (personally) gain in a short space of time.

SW: 154
GW: 126
Height: 5ft6, female 30

I hit 131 just before I got married in June, then went on an amazing three week honeymoon. Just 7 weeks after I got married I am back at 140 and feeling like a failure. Have had a few comments from friends which hasn't helped, and can't fit into my favourite jeans :neutral:

Please help me!

Replies

• mdav0579
    mdav0579 Posts: 11 Member
    Oh and congrats on getting married!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Accept that your weightloss strategy, or your goal weight, or both, were't sustainable, and set now goals and/or make new plans.

Also keep in mind that a lower weight takes less food and/or more exercise to maintain than a higher weight.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Throw out the idea of failure. It is so, so unhelpful. It just makes you feel bad about yourself in a way that is all mixed up with your own self-worth. You're just on a starting part of a journey towards a goal.

Just start logging your food intake. Right now. Just start the journey and be on your way.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    also how did you pick that weight? at 140 you are in the normal weight range for your height - maybe some progressive strength and recomp vs. just losing weight
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Draw a line under it, your honeymoon is a once in a lifetime (hopefully lol) experience that you should enjoy and not be worrying over whether you're going to gain a little weight (inevitable if you're having a few tipples, eating out and air travel). Stop worrying, start logging, you will fit back into your jeans comfortably in a few weeks.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    3 week vacation probably had a lot of sodium and alcohol and likely a bunch of that 9lbs is water weight .
    Drink lots of water
    Go back to healthy habits
    Take a walk with your new spouse

It will go back off.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    One of my besties swears that her wedding ring weighs 5kg, haha :) Seriously though, it's totally understandable through the wedding planning and honeymoon your routines will be all screwed up. Make sure you take some time to understand whats changed and how you need to adjust, and aim to get back into that healthy lifestyle.
  • becky1909
    becky1909 Posts: 1 Member
    I am exactly the same. I got married in May, went on a lovely two week honeymoon where I ate and drank whatever I wanted, came back to start a new job and have continued to make bad food choices and have not got back into my gym routine. My clothes were feeling tight and I realised I had put on 8 lbs so Monday I decided enough was enough and got back to logging my food and took my gym clothes to work to ensure I would go on my way home. So far I've stuck to it and I'm feeling better. I've found without the goal of the wedding dress its easy to not worry about what your eating and go home rather than to a gym class but overall I feel so much better when I am eating correctly and have done a workout and that's what I am focussing on now instead.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Hey, belated congratulations on your marriage, I'm really no expert when it comes to weight loss, I am still at the new stage if I am honest but I have read and have been told that weight gain and lose is a way of life, plus you was on your honeymoon your bound to indulge a little I mean most would, even going on vacation most would be prepared to put on weight, it's a way of life and you were enjoying yourself as that's what vacations are for, you diet all year round till vacation hits or christmas/thanksgiving or even birthdays and you have a little indulge, you gain a bit of weight, what counts now is whether you continue to indulge or just cut back a little or do exercise to balance it out, just find a routine that works around your work and family life :)
    Take care :smiley:
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Accept that your weightloss strategy, or your goal weight, or both, were't sustainable, and set now goals and/or make new plans.

Also keep in mind that a lower weight takes less food and/or more exercise to maintain than a higher weight.

This.

5ft 6in here as well and I maintain in the 120s, but that means I have to have a lower calorie intake than if I adjusted my weight up into the 130s or 140s. Since my glucose number is directly tied to my weight I have to keep to the lower range, but if someone doesn't have that issue then having a bit higher weight, still within the normal bmi range, is fine!
  • It happens to everyone ;)t626t7u72y2gd23.jpg
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    noirelb wrote: »
    I'm still shocked that friends made comments from a 9lbs weight gain... ? it's not a very big gain

Yeah, Get new friends! Unless it was a very dear friend who knows you care about such things and was trying to be helpful by opening a conversation about it, this is wholly inappropriate behavior on their part.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    "Failure isn't a permanent position". You HAVEN'T done anything different than 90% of others who did a diet for an event, then REGAINED weight. All you have to do is make the decision as to whether or not that goal is something you still want. If so, then brush yourself off and restart.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • thebestyear2017
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! I needed these messages more than you know - I'm totally ready to get back on the horse. Will start logging again and hold myself accountable for my successes, and not focus on failures. The honeymoon and wedding were wonderful thank you, I'm going to forgive myself for every calorie enjoyed - the hotel breakfasts everyday were something else!
    noirelb wrote: »
    I'm still shocked that friends made comments from a 9lbs weight gain... ? it's not a very big gain

Oh you know, I had one say "But you were SO thin on your wedding day." and "Not everyone is as lucky as XX (another friend) at keeping their wedding weight down." I felt super paranoid and squidgy.

This.

5ft 6in here as well and I maintain in the 120s, but that means I have to have a lower calorie intake than if I adjusted my weight up into the 130s or 140s. Since my glucose number is directly tied to my weight I have to keep to the lower range, but if someone doesn't have that issue then having a bit higher weight, still within the normal bmi range, is fine!

Thank you for this - I felt my best at 126-130 in my mid-20s, when I was also working out a couple times a week. Being that size/weight suited my frame, and I felt more comfortable overall. I think to be honest it's purely vanity.

Good luck to everyone else on their MFP journey. x

• BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    The fact that you're still here and wanting to keep going is a great first step.. Pay no mind to the negative people and keep focused on your journey. You got this and you'll hit your goal in no time!!!!
    Best of luck!!! :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Same thing happened to me, totally worth it for the awesome honeymoon and as others have said some of that is probably water weight and will drop straight back off, as for the rest you've now got new goals without the pressure of a strict wedding timeframe, get back on the wagon and you'll soon be back at your wedding weight heading for goal before you know it. ^_^

Whatever you do try not to do the same as what I did and leave MFP after I ditched the honeymoon weight and without the wedding pressure only to return 3 years later heavier than my original SW :P (I'm now close to my wedding weight again and will stick to MFP for maintenance after learning my lesson)
  • thebestyear2017
    Same thing happened to me, totally worth it for the awesome honeymoon and as others have said some of that is probably water weight and will drop straight back off, as for the rest you've now got new goals without the pressure of a strict wedding timeframe, get back on the wagon and you'll soon be back at your wedding weight heading for goal before you know it. ^_^

Whatever you do try not to do the same as what I did and leave MFP after I ditched the honeymoon weight and without the wedding pressure only to return 3 years later heavier than my original SW :P (I'm now close to my wedding weight again and will stick to MFP for maintenance after learning my lesson)

Thank you and well done - I think I'm going to be in the same boat and need MFP for life. I feel quite comforted to have it though luckily!
  • erouille
    erouille Posts: 2 Member
    Don't let your failures be what defines you. Ultimately, you need to keep your sights set on your goal weight. If you stray, know that you can easily get back on track. No one else can make you do it, and ignore negative comments. With determination and settling back into healthy routines, you can make your goal weight. Let's be honest, who wouldn't just want to have fun on a honey moon and enjoy some great food! You can do it!