Weighing home made pizza

Options
Usually I would find a 'close enough' seeming entry and log it.
Today i used the recipe for the base, used the right serve size, and weighed the cheeses and meat, and added the right sauce and vegetables... and it was a bit of a surprise. I would have estimated about 600cal because I used what i thought was so much less topping, but it was closer to 750-760cal.

Lesson learned.

Goes to show that 'near enough' really isnt good enough.

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yup. Now try it with cheesecake (try not to cry).
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Haha! I dont think i could handle that right now! :D
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing with homemade pizza. We were eating it on Saturdays and I guessed it to be around 670 calories. Turned out, after weighing, it was actually 1100... Now we eat it never haha not worth it
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Know what you mean. I wanted to make a curry with paneer the other day. After putting it into the app I realized how heavy on calories it was, and I put it pack into the fridge and used chicken instead. Not surprising, considering it's a dairy thing. Still an eyeopener.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The last time I made pizza, a couple weeks ago, it came out to 1000-ish calories for each of us. (We each ate half the pizza.) Pizza has two calorie dense ingredients: the flour in the crust and the cheese on top. Rather than weigh the finished pizza, I put in all the ingredients and divide by servings.

One hint for reducing the guilt factor of homemade pizza, make a somewhat whole grain crust. At least that way you are getting some fiber. Last crust for us was 1/2 whole grain spelt, 1/2 white flour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    The last time I made pizza, a couple weeks ago, it came out to 1000-ish calories for each of us. (We each ate half the pizza.) Pizza has two calorie dense ingredients: the flour in the crust and the cheese on top. Rather than weigh the finished pizza, I put in all the ingredients and divide by servings.

One hint for reducing the guilt factor of homemade pizza, make a somewhat whole grain crust. At least that way you are getting some fiber. Last crust for us was 1/2 whole grain spelt, 1/2 white flour.

IME, using some vital wheat gluten in the crust has let me shift the whole-grain proportion even higher, while maintaining a desirable texture. Maybe around 2tsp per cup of flour to start, and experiment upward from there. Even a Tbsp per cup might be OK. YMMV.

Bumps the protein up a li'l bit, too, useful for those if us who are veg.

I keep meaning to see if I can use this strategy to include a meaningful fraction of soy or chickpea flour and still get a happy result, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah the flour is a massive calorie addition. I weigh my flour when i make it so i can count on it being correctly measured... usually make 2 pizzas and it all disappears because we have 4.5 yo twins who love pizza and my husband has massive capacity to eat it too (and i always used to keep pace so i didnt 'miss out').

Last night i made individual pizzas. It wasnt much more fuss and the girls put half of theirs away for lunch today. I did a larger one for Hubby and used lots of pepperoni where mine was smaller with more veg and fetta, and i finely shredded a couple of slices of pepperoni for mine after weighing them. We usually have pizza once a fortnight so its nice to be able to make it work for me.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We make personal pizzas, much easier to control the calories because you know an ounce of cheese is this, a serving of pepperoni is that etc. It makes you stop and think what all you're putting on it. I made one last week with a pita, pepperoni, ham, olives, onions, parm and mozzarella that came out to about 500 calories.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Saddest thing I ever heard.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It isn't quite the same but sometimes to get my pizza fix at home, I'll bake a crustless pizza. Basically all the yummy toppings with the sauce and some cheese in a small baking dish.

Of course when I'm wanting real pizza, I save up for it and get some on the weekend at a really great pizza joint.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh the post above mine reminded me of a "pizza fix" I make. Pizzadillas. I use a soft taco size tortilla, 7pepperoni slices, garlic powder, 2 oz of mozzarella and some parm. Put tortilla in the pan sprinkle half the cheese on half, layer pepperoni, add the rest of the cheese then fold the tortilla over. Make it nice and toasty and cut into triangles. I mix about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce and 1 tablespoon of Opa Ranch to dip it in. 433 calories for all. My kids think it's the best thing ever.
  • thinthought
    thinthought Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A great alternative is cauliflower crust or if you still want dough we use pita bread. They are premade so the calorie count is no guesswork. And it is more of a "personal pan "size. We like thin crust so it works for us.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I made a chicken alfredo and broccoli pizza on Naan bread last night. Came in just over 600 calories for the entire thing, but I easily could've just eaten half with a salad or something. It was in my calories though, so I ate the ENTIRE THING! :D
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my one weakness so I don't mind the extra calories.. I only eat it once a week as my cheat meal... So I order it in.. lol