Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Is a Greek yoghurt sandwich exactly what it sounds like?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017

I'm thinking it's like an iced cream sandwich, but with frozen Greek yogurt instead of iced cream. I, obviously, could be mistaken.

edit: Yep, I was mistaken, per the below.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017

Oh it's how we've always traditionally eaten greek yogurt: plain, full fat, savory, salted and with bread. More like a spread or a dip than something you eat with a spoon. Usually with olive oil and sometimes with deli and tomato or some other enhancers in the sandwich.

ETA: Google "Labneh".
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    my
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Dessert after meals is unnecessary and does nothing good for your health.

Unnecessary, true. Does nothing good for your health, that depends. If you really like having dessert after a meal and having it helps you moderate your calories and reduce your stress level, then it can be very healthy.

Is eating to reduce stress, dessert or anything else for that matter, really a good way to cope with stress?

Food is fuel, first and foremost. Ideally, it is the fuel that tastes good. Any type of emotional importance attached to food (aside from ceremonies (like birthdays, holidays) or food that has religious or ethnic meaning ) is of no benefit.

Oh I so disagree with that last sentence. I spend a lot of time and money on food and derive great pleasure from it. Pleasure is beneficial.

I think I'm just wired differently when it comes to food, perhaps that is why I have never really been overweight. I enjoy expensive food out occasionally - but if plans change and I have to eat something ordinary, life goes on. I have other outlets for pleasure that aren't oriented around food, lol.

I get pleasure from food and I've never been over BMI 23 and am 18.7 now. You can get pleasure from food and not overeat.

I get that - but the almost 70% of the people in the US who are obese don't.

I understand that my "food is fuel first and pleasure second" policy is unpopular, which makes this particular thread the perfect place to share it ;)

'pleasure second' isn't exactly what you said though. You said "Any type of emotional importance attached to food (aside from ceremonies (like birthdays, holidays) or food that has religious or ethnic meaning ) is of no benefit."

Pleasure itself is a benefit.

I guess to put it a different way: the pleasure derived from eating food that I consider "healthy" is greater than the pleasure I derive from eating something that is sort of a "cheat" food (I know this will trigger some, but that is how I reference it :o ).

The other day I had some calories left and a chance to eat a piece of my son's birthday ice cream cake. I decided instead to have a Greek yogurt with a half scoop of protein powder in it (he is six and does not care if I eat his cake or not, so it isn't a matter of etiquette). It gave me more pleasure to eat that because the yogurt was high protein and low fat while the cake was high carb / high fat / high sugar. I'm in pretty good shape and could have withstood eating the cake without a problem, but I chose something that was more oriented toward "fuel". To me, that is more pleasurable and more of a stress reliever than eating the dessert.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member

Oh it's how we've always traditionally eaten greek yogurt: plain, full fat, savory, salted and with bread. More like a spread or a dip than something you eat with a spoon. Usually with olive oil and sometimes with deli and tomato or some other enhancers in the sandwich.

i love labneh! with some sliced cucumbers and red onions and black pepper that sounds amazing.
  • amusedmonkey

i love labneh! with some sliced cucumbers and red onions and black pepper that sounds amazing.

Yeah, it's amazing. Before the term "Greek yogurt" became mainstream I used to explain it to others as "lightly salted yogurt cheese, like a softer tangy cream cheese" because that's closer to how it's used than what comes to mind when someone says "Greek yogurt".
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    my

Unnecessary, true. Does nothing good for your health, that depends. If you really like having dessert after a meal and having it helps you moderate your calories and reduce your stress level, then it can be very healthy.

Is eating to reduce stress, dessert or anything else for that matter, really a good way to cope with stress?

Food is fuel, first and foremost. Ideally, it is the fuel that tastes good. Any type of emotional importance attached to food (aside from ceremonies (like birthdays, holidays) or food that has religious or ethnic meaning ) is of no benefit.

Oh I so disagree with that last sentence. I spend a lot of time and money on food and derive great pleasure from it. Pleasure is beneficial.

I think I'm just wired differently when it comes to food, perhaps that is why I have never really been overweight. I enjoy expensive food out occasionally - but if plans change and I have to eat something ordinary, life goes on. I have other outlets for pleasure that aren't oriented around food, lol.

I get pleasure from food and I've never been over BMI 23 and am 18.7 now. You can get pleasure from food and not overeat.

I understand that my "food is fuel first and pleasure second" policy is unpopular, which makes this particular thread the perfect place to share it ;)

'pleasure second' isn't exactly what you said though. You said "Any type of emotional importance attached to food (aside from ceremonies (like birthdays, holidays) or food that has religious or ethnic meaning ) is of no benefit."

I guess to put it a different way: the pleasure derived from eating food that I consider "healthy" is greater than the pleasure I derive from eating something that is sort of a "cheat" food (I know this will trigger some, but that is how I reference it :o ).

The other day I had some calories left and a chance to eat a piece of my son's birthday ice cream cake. I decided instead to have a Greek yogurt with a half scoop of protein powder in it (he is six and does not care if I eat his cake or not, so it isn't a matter of etiquette). It gave me more pleasure to eat that because the yogurt was high protein and low fat while the cake was high carb / high fat / high sugar. I'm in pretty good shape and could have withstood eating the cake without a problem, but I chose something that was more oriented toward "fuel". To me, that is more pleasurable and more of a stress reliever than eating the dessert.

All this and he's thinking more for me :).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

So am I, who stated that?
  • amusedmonkey
    my

All this and he's thinking more for me :).

In my case it would be: what sounds more pleasurable to me now? Cake or Greek yogurt with protein powder? If it's cake, then I have cake, if it's not then I don't have cake. I usually opt for the cake simply because I like the social aspect and the ritual of eating it with family and friends if it's a birthday, but you would be surprised how many times something seemingly "healthy" appealed to me more than something that is not not usually considered so. When I say I eat for pleasure people imagine someone stuffing donuts down their throat all day (which I don't like by the way) when in reality I get just as excited about barley soup or roasted cauliflower.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    (Was it this thread where someone mentioned gazpacho? THANK YOU!!!)

Gazpacho is one of my favorite parts of summer.

I was thinking it was you that had mentioned it...I have the cukes, tomatoes and garlic lined up and ready to go! Unfortunately I have a countertop cuke-to-tomato ratio of about 10:1.

Everyone I know who plants cucumbers seems to be over run with them this year. This seems to be the 'year of the cuke'. IDK what the heck I am going to do with all the pickles.

The cooler, wetter weather has been great for them...and of course, this is the year we had to plant 10 hills (and netted them against critters) for 4-H. In the past, either the heat or the deer have gotten them before they go too crazy. We planted Marketmores and Burpless, and I am now wishing I had planted some pickling varieties. I will still pickle the slicers, but they aren't as crisp as a good pickler. Lesson learned.

All the tomatoes, peppers, squashes, eggplants, and okra are just sitting there, in various stages of development, just not progressing. We had about a week of good hot weather, and now a couple of weeks in the low 80s/high 70s with nights in the 50s and 60s. My habaneros especially have been horribly blighted. :/
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Duly noted for my cuke issues...:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    (Was it this thread where someone mentioned gazpacho? THANK YOU!!!)

Gazpacho is one of my favorite parts of summer.

I was thinking it was you that had mentioned it...I have the cukes, tomatoes and garlic lined up and ready to go! Unfortunately I have a countertop cuke-to-tomato ratio of about 10:1.

Everyone I know who plants cucumbers seems to be over run with them this year. This seems to be the 'year of the cuke'. IDK what the heck I am going to do with all the pickles.

The cooler, wetter weather has been great for them...and of course, this is the year we had to plant 10 hills (and netted them against critters) for 4-H. In the past, either the heat or the deer have gotten them before they go too crazy. We planted Marketmores and Burpless, and I am now wishing I had planted some pickling varieties. I will still pickle the slicers, but they aren't as crisp as a good pickler. Lesson learned.

All the tomatoes, peppers, squashes, eggplants, and okra are just sitting there, in various stages of development, just not progressing. We had about a week of good hot weather, and now a couple of weeks in the low 80s/high 70s with nights in the 50s and 60s. My habaneros especially have been horribly blighted. :/

I can't even imagine. We planted 4 plants, 2 regular (can't remember what type now but a basic slicing cucumber) and 2 pickling. I've already put up 21 quarts of pickles, eaten cucumbers until I'm almost sick of them, and taken several bags of them to the homeless shelter and they just keep coming.

It wouldn't be so bad but neither my husband or I eat a lot of pickles.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    my

You are considering long term risk/reward in making this decision rather than immediate gratification, which is where the majority of the population is at.

Bringing up the financial analogy this is akin to depositing your tuppence into an investment account to further a larger goal such as saving for a home.
This discussion has been closed.