What do you do when you're sick?

I'm very sick (and yes, I know why. I've been to the doctor but I'd rather not discuss it on here) and since I've bee sick I've actually been eating A LOT of food and smoothies. My weight hasn't gone up or anything but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm throwing up. I scared that I'll start developing these really bad habits once in better though. I just really keep using food as comfort right now and I don't know how to stop..

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    If you're sick I think the most important thing is to focus on resting and getting healthy. There will be time after to get back on track. No point in stressing yourself out and making yourself feel worse.

Get well soon!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Eat at maintenance (unless I've lost my appetite, in which case I eat however much I feel like eating), drink plenty of fluids, and put off weight loss til I'm better. Eating at a deficit puts your body under stress, and when I'm sick, I want my body to put all its resources towards the complex business of fighting disease and healing.

If I had a chronic illness, I might take a different approach, but for short term illness, weight loss can wait till I'm better.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Also, I don't weigh myself when I'm ill, as dehydration/water retention will mess up the numbers to the point that they're meaningless.

I really wouldn't worry about forming habits that will carry on when you're better. Being very ill is such a not-normal situation that all your behaviors and routines are out of whack anyway.

I have never come out of a bout of illness with a honey-and-lemon habit or a compulsion to sleep with a bucket by my bed. The same applies to weird eating during illness. It's part of sick-world and should be pretty easy to get out of when you're better.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Also, I don't weigh myself when I'm ill, as dehydration/water retention will mess up the numbers to the point that they're meaningless.

I really wouldn't worry about forming habits that will carry on when you're better. Being very ill is such a not-normal situation that all your behaviors and routines are out of whack anyway.

I have never come out of a bout of illness with a honey-and-lemon habit or a compulsion to sleep with a bucket by my bed. The same applies to weird eating during illness. It's part of sick-world and should be pretty easy to get out of when you're better.

I think they mean bulimic tendencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, OP.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Rest, rest, rest
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    I'm very sick (and yes, I know why. I've been to the doctor but I'd rather not discuss it on here) and since I've bee sick I've actually been eating A LOT of food and smoothies. My weight hasn't gone up or anything but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm throwing up. I scared that I'll start developing these really bad habits once in better though. I just really keep using food as comfort right now and I don't know how to stop..

Drink water when you get hungry. It's a natural
    appetite suppressant
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I rest and don't worry much about my calorie intake until I am better.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    vespiquenn wrote: »

I didn't get that impression at all.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    OP, practice self-care first and eat what you are able to keep down, and is as nutritious as you can eat. You don't need to add extra worry on top of that while you're sick.

I hope your treatment goes well and you get better soon.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    fjmartini wrote: »

Drink water when you get hungry. It's a natural
    appetite suppressant

Drinking water is definitely a good idea when you're sick, but trying to suppress your appetite when your body is trying to recover from illness is not great advice at all.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »

I didn't get that impression at all.

After I reread the original post, I do believe I misinterpreted.

OP, remember that your body does need the energy to heal during an illness. That's why it's recommended to eat at least at maintenance as best as you can. When throwing up, easier said then done.

However, I do understand how it can be hard to go back to eating normally after you've spent a few days eating the entire kitchen. Been there, done that. In the past, I have gradually lowered my calories after illness to readjust to where I should be at. That way, it's not quite a shock.

But on the other hand, don't let yourself think that bad habits are going to form over allowing your body the time to heal. Once the seed of doubt is planted, it's more likely to grow.

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Rest, rest, rest and hydration. You stated that you are throwing up, if you have a stomach bug then no eating for 24 hours and drink small amounts of ginger ale. It may help to stir the ginger ale to get the carbonation out as that may upset you as well.
    Had two kids in grade school at one time and they were like little petri dish's bringing home the bug three or four times a year each. And the above was always the recipe for success.
    If you are not showing signs of improvement already you need to get to the doctors.
    Good luck and get well soon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've been blessed with a really good immune system and rarely get sick so when I do I generally just act like a big baby and if I'm able to eat I eat whatever the heck I want in whatever amounts I want. But most of the time when I get sick it's a fever and then I usually eat very little.
  • oliviasalour1
    oliviasalour1 Posts: 3 Member

When I was sick I lived off the lighterlifefast porridge, I found it so comforting. My sister always tells me to eat porridge when I'm ill and it seems to work!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    When I am sick I eat whatever is in the house and I would like. And I continue with that for some days after getting better, because my body is still recovering. Especially when you are throwing up right now it is most important for you to eat whatever you can get (and keep) down best and worry about dieting later, after a full recovery.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017

When I was sick I lived off the lighterlifefast porridge, I found it so comforting. My sister always tells me to eat porridge when I'm ill and it seems to work!

Seriously stop trying to market lighterlife all 3 of your posts have been this
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member

I rarely get sick, but when I do I am not thinking about calories. I really don't eat much when I'm sick. So I suggest you eat when you're hungry and get well soon. Praying for you.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Nothing. I carry on with my job and taking care of my house and kids because that's what working moms do. I try to get more sleep and I eat a lot of chicken soup, but honestly, not much changes. (disclaimer: I get sick maybe once every 3-4 years)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I had a bad flu and stopped trying to lose weight or exercise (still had to go to work and take care of everyone though) and put more energy into healing. Got back on track when I felt a little better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Oh this thread makes me sad and angry. People thinking they doing something good by going to work sick and sharing their sickness with coworkers. :angry::