Lunch ideas besides sandwiches???

raypackers
raypackers Posts: 54 Member
Hey does anyone have any lunch recipes that are not sandwiches? For some reason I just really don't like them. And probably low calorie are best.

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    What's wrong with salads?
  • raypackers
    @RavenLibra Do you have any salad ideas??
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    One of my go-to salads is built around 1/2 cup of corn (I use a measuring cup and then weigh it) and veggie dog sliced. If you aren't a vegetarian, use a cooked lean-meat hotdog, I guess. To that, I add cherry/grape tomatoes, cucumber, pickle, pickled jalapeno, either onion or scallion, and whatever other veggies strike my fancy. I've done bell peppers, celery, and bean sprouts in the past. For dressing, I use 1/4 cup medium salsa and a tablespoon of vegan sour cream.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    A boiled egg, Baby spinach, julienne bell peppers, crushed walnuts, or sub baby greens instead of spinach... with a dash of salt and pepper... dressing of your choice
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Homemade soups - I have made variations of the following - Broccoli & Blue Cheese, Cauliflower Cheese, and Spicy Carrot & Lentil.
    Cold Pastas - Tuna & Sweetcorn, Chicken & Bacon, Egg & Spinach, etc
    Salads - Pancetta & Avocado, Quinoa & Garlic Chicken, Goats Cheese, Apple & Walnut, Stilton, Strawberry & Quinoa, Smoked Salmon & Prawn there are great ideas on Pinterest for Jar Salads.
    Leftovers - I tend to make a lot of crockpot meals on meal prep day and always have a few spares left over in the freezer, I keep these mostly for nights when I know I have a big workout session so I can quickly reheat, but sometimes take them into work with a microwave rice pouch (individual portion ones) I normally have Thai Green Curry, Chilli, Saag Paneer, Beef Strogonoff or something similar. Obviously you would need access to a microwave.

Depending on your access to microwave, etc you could also have jacket potatoes, Noodles, Burrito Bowl, etc
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    I make Cabbage soup and portion it out for the whole week, bring along a fresh veggie and an apple. good to go.
  • dejberry
    dejberry Posts: 9 Member
    my favorite is grilled chicken, diced sweet potatoes, and broccoli & carrots.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I am a lazy eater.... tuna packets, fruit, and some crackers or a salad or organic frozen meals. I like organic because the food actually tastes like food. Lol.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Salad ideas--I wash and chop enough mixed greens to last a few days for me--I use several lettuces and watercress, sometimes arugula. I grate carrots to last several days. I chop cucumbers for several days.

Day of: I measure 2 cups of salad greens, 1/2 cup grated carrots, 1/2 cup cucumbers, then I cut cherry tomatoes in half, again about 1/2 cup of the cherry tomatoes. Then I add 1 cup of canned drained chickpeas. At lunch time I put 2 tbs of my favorite "French Dressing" by Organicville. About every other week I mix it up and put baked marinated tofu on it instead. I feel ok using measuring cups for most of my salad prep as it's a big time saver in the morning when I'm trying to get out the door. However, if I'm doing baked tofu (more flavor than plain tofu) I weigh it out and put it in portion sizes containers on Sunday and then just add it my salad. The "serving size" is 3 oz but I put on 6 oz because the rest of the salad is just veggies...
  • ghbtwo
    ghbtwo Posts: 11 Member
    this is my goto lunch virtually every day. some ingredients i vary from time to time but it's fantastic imo.

rza389a5a2s8.png
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    You could find any recipe you like and divide it up for portions each day during the week. That's what I do that way I don't ever get sick of the same thing every week. Lots of great recipes on Pinterest.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    You could find any recipe you like and divide it up for portions each day during the week. That's what I do that way I don't ever get sick of the same thing every week. Lots of great recipes on Pinterest.

This^^^ i'm just too lazy to meal prep. haha
  • afoust1986
    afoust1986 Posts: 16 Member
    I know frozen foods aren't always the healthiest, but I LOVE Amy's Mexican Bowls, Mexican Casserole, Enchiladas... I think Healthy Choice has a "burrito bowl" sort of thing as well. And Michaelina's (i think that's the company?) has a Spicy Chicken Alfredo as well. I really like the frozen meals cause they're easy to take to work and keep in the freezer there (so they don't take up all of my freezer space either! lol). Then I can just pop them in the microwave and get a pre-portioned meal of those foods that are hard for me to control myself with. I get the flavors I crave, without blowing all my work.
  • raypackers
    Thank you guys so much for these awesome lunch ideas! All of them sound fantastic!! I will definitely be making them!!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    My go-to lunch is celery, boiled egg and cottage cheese w/ a quarter cup of blueberries/strawberries. That way I can prep for all week on Sun and just grab and go during the week. I prefer less calories during the day to save calories for a snack at night after supper.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Try Pinterest for recipes too. Lots of great lunch things on there. I mostly just eat salads, or leftover dinner.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Quark + whatever you'd like it to go with.

Highly variable, extremely saturating, easy to prepare, high protein, low cal, ...