Walking for Heftier Women

Hi y'all...yes I'm southern! I know it's good that I'm getting moving...my doctor wants me to start slow, just ten minutes a day. Boy do ya feel it right in the hips as SOON as ya start. It's a good ouch, but ouch!

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I started with just walking too- I could barely do 10-15 minutes a few years ago. Congratulations for taking the initiative with your health. Comfortable shoes, take it as slow as you need, and be consistent, and you will be shocked how much you will improve with something so simple. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    While these exercises are intended primarily to help runners avoid injury they`re also beneficial for walkers.

https://runnersconnect.net/the-top-5-hip-strengthening-exercises-for-runners-to-prevent-injury-and-improve-hip-drive/

https://runnersconnect.net/hip-strengthening-for-runners/

Don`t worry if you can only do a few reps to start. Try to set aside a few minute 2 or 3 times a week for these......your body will thank you.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I started walking to work a couple of times a week, after driving literally everywhere - even the 200yds to the shop! I ached at first but then it got easier. One thing I did do was get an app to log it, I used map my walk as it links to here, I've been doing it 5 months now and recently reviewed the stats and was pleasantly surprised to see my progress, my mins per mile have come down by about 5 minutes, so if you haven't already done so I would recommend it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited May 2018
    Congrats on your progress (and thanks for checking in!)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    When I was well over 350lbs, walking for more than 15 minutes was pretty bad. As you build strength and lose weight it gets easier.

I started by timing myself. At first I did 15 minute walks. When I could do 30 minutes comfortably, I decided to track how far I walked. Then for a month I tried to shorten my time with the same walk (increase speed). Then back up to 30 minutes at my increased speed and repeated that for a good 6 months.
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    @jessicakrall8 that is an impressively big drop in weight. Well done. However are you sure you are doing 3500 steps? that sounds very low. I use garmin watch that tracks steps and if I do virtually NOTHING all day I get close to 5000
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Take it slow and easy. Rest as much as you need to. Msybe you should start witha5 minutes and increase to 10 over the next a few weeks.
    I started 3+ years ago and couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile without excruciating hip, knee and foot pain with multiple rest stops. I got a fitbit and increased a little bit as I could. My goal was to walk 1 mile nonstop within a year. But it took only a few months. Now I can walk as far as I want to all day every day. And a little running too.
    Make sure you drink water before and after even a short walk.

So much this.

Also, 10 minutes a day, isn't the same as 10 minutes at a time.

Small things like figuring out how to make your life a little less convenient. Parking a little further back at work/store. Taking the long way around when coming or going from home/work/shopping.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Happy to hear you are doing so well!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I’m down 42 pounds now and am up to 3500 steps a day. I have good shoes with arch support and am drinking more water. All of your advice has been incredible, thanks! So how are all of you now?

Updates?!
    Jessica

Awesome! Congratulations!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I’m down 42 pounds now and am up to 3500 steps a day. I have good shoes with arch support and am drinking more water. All of your advice has been incredible, thanks! So how are all of you now?

Updates?!
    Jessica

Congratulations on both the weight loss and increased mobility. I'll bet you are feeling better all around--at least, I hope you are. Exercise and fresh air--if you can get fresh air, of course--do wonders for one's body and spirit. I am trying to regain my jogging ability, and taking it soooooo slowly. I want to be able to walk and jog for as much of the rest of my life as possible. Taking it slowly and avoiding injury are the only way to go.
  • roge0195
    roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
    jayclock wrote: »
    @jessicakrall8 that is an impressively big drop in weight. Well done. However are you sure you are doing 3500 steps? that sounds very low. I use garmin watch that tracks steps and if I do virtually NOTHING all day I get close to 5000

3500 is an average day for me. I work from home on a computer and sometimes go days without leaving the house. (Tracking with an Apple Watch).

I’m on this board today because I’m looking for motivation to start an exercise routine. I have a small home gym but my feet hurt whenever I use the cardio equipment. (Ball of foot pain, an old broken 2nd toe that seems to ache when I walk, and an old cartilage injury in my ankle that makes me prone to twisting the ankle).

I have lost 30 pounds so far by diet changes facilitated by a doctor prescribed appetite suppressant. Now that I’m a little lighter I would like to build some strength and stamina and basically feel younger and fitter.

I just don’t know where to start. When I was younger I did Pilates and yoga, but they just don’t seem like “weight loss” exercises. I tried running on the treadmill recently and almost fell because my ankle gave out unexpectedly after only 2 minutes. I’m so frustrated with myself.

I was losing rapidly for the first few months but I’ve been hovering at 165 since March. Goal is 130. (I would be pretty satisfied with 140)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    roge0195 wrote: »

3500 is an average day for me. I work from home on a computer and sometimes go days without leaving the house. (Tracking with an Apple Watch).

I’m on this board today because I’m looking for motivation to start an exercise routine. I have a small home gym but my feet hurt whenever I use the cardio equipment. (Ball of foot pain, an old broken 2nd toe that seems to ache when I walk, and an old cartilage injury in my ankle that makes me prone to twisting the ankle).

I have lost 30 pounds so far by diet changes facilitated by a doctor prescribed appetite suppressant. Now that I’m a little lighter I would like to build some strength and stamina and basically feel younger and fitter.

I just don’t know where to start. When I was younger I did Pilates and yoga, but they just don’t seem like “weight loss” exercises. I tried running on the treadmill recently and almost fell because my ankle gave out unexpectedly after only 2 minutes. I’m so frustrated with myself.

I was losing rapidly for the first few months but I’ve been hovering at 165 since March. Goal is 130. (I would be pretty satisfied with 140)
    Have you tried rowing, stationary bike, or elliptical? Try a guest pass at a gym and see if you can find a machine which works with your injuries. Swimming is another possibility. If you find a machine you like but don't want to join a gym, you might be able to find a used one, or even trade someone for your treadmill.

Adding some strength exercises is always a good idea - it won't necessarily get you a whole bunch of calories to eat back, but will preserve your lean body mass while you eat at deficit, and make you healthier and stronger.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    First of all, thank you for checking in, OP! I love check-in stories! How far you have come!
    roge0195 wrote: »

I see a very good response already but I’ll just add my two cents.

Don’t worry about what kind of exercises you are doing. Anything that gets you moving and stretching - that you enjoy - is in the right direction. There are some good ideas above. If you like Pilates and Yoga, do it!

And no more treadmill.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Take it slow and easy. Rest as much as you need to. Msybe you should start witha5 minutes and increase to 10 over the next a few weeks.
    I started 3+ years ago and couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile without excruciating hip, knee and foot pain with multiple rest stops. I got a fitbit and increased a little bit as I could. My goal was to walk 1 mile nonstop within a year. But it took only a few months. Now I can walk as far as I want to all day every day. And a little running too.
    Make sure you drink water before and after even a short walk.

So much this.

Also, 10 minutes a day, isn't the same as 10 minutes at a time.

Small things like figuring out how to make your life a little less convenient. Parking a little further back at work/store. Taking the long way around when coming or going from home/work/shopping.

This really really works. I work in an office setting so getting steps in throughout the day is difficult. I do things like only using the furthest printer/bathroom, getting up to talk to someone instead of sending an email, volunteering to outside to get the mail, etc. It's small but most days doing these types of things is enough to meet my fitbit's hourly step goal.