Food eating styles or choices

barbheart
barbheart Posts: 433 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Hi all I wanted to open this thread because I know many new comers have questions around what type of food is best for optimum health/weight loss whatever their goals are.
I know this is a touchy subject but I hope we can use our excellent people´s skills love and compassion to address this in the most non judgemental of ways LOL!...

I open the thread with my own considerations. I normally tend to eat high carb (prior to OMAD). This how i got to my super overweight by high carb and constant binging on relatively healthy foods, so never drunk sodas, and my binges tend to be organic and healthy yet there were constant throughout the day.

I am personally experimenting with my Omad meals and I am finding that when I go low carb or lower carb, I drop more volumen and presumably more weight.

I am also aware that if I go too much on the keto/paleo line, I might eventually drop loads of weight yet pick it up again the moment I start eating high carbs which was my natural tendency prior to starting fasts.

I also recon that fasting which is new to me, never done it before in any previous weight loss plan, fasting generates appetite correction and maybe in time, I can trully reduce my high carb intake into a more sustainable "carb conscious" manner, so as to be able to eat carbs and at the same time either drop weight if I have to or else maintain if I am already at goal weight.

Also, when eating carbs since I am in OMAD I find that rice is the carb that makes me less inflamed or builds me back up in volume whereas breads, biscuits, chips will stagnate my weight drop.

I also reduced considerably my "poops" since OMAD and I find that Joe´s suggestion on eating beans has helped with the fiber side. Yet I wouldn´t mind "pooping" more...

What types of foods have supported best your weight drop?

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    I haven't had trouble dropping while on OMAD at all, unless I've had an unplanned fast free day (that's what I am personally deeming "binges" and "splurges"), though I make a lot of real food choices because that is what makes me feel the best. If I'm going to have crap--that the married couple living with us at this time bring home and have left on the counter after their camping trip--I save it for the end of the meal. However, there was a time, even when full, that I would have eaten at least half a container of those mint cookies I ate yesterday whether all at once or scattered throughout the day. I didn't even want anymore after the four I had at the end of yesterday's meal. That's huge for me :-)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    I'm the same - it doesn't really seem to matter what I eat doing OMAD - I'm still losing steadily. Obviously if I have too much salt, I expect a gain the next day (like the salty popcorn I just ate) but I don't consider those real gains. Also things like weekends camping where I'm both drinking and eating more than usual, slow things down - but I think those are usual life events, so they don't bother me too much.

My main issue with food has never been quality, I've never been a big junk, processed food eater. My issue is volume, I like to eat a large amount of food. This is why I think OMAD works so well for me because it allows me to satisfy that need for volume and not feel deprived. Like Sandy though, I am finding that I actually need less now, which is also huge for me. Sometimes I start my meal thinking - wow, I am so hungry I'm totally going to overeat, and then I just don't want as much as I thought I would - or as much as I would have eaten pre-OMAD. I feel satisfied much more quickly than I did before. I am also more wary of the over full feeling - I've had that feeling several times while doing OMAD and I really don't like feeling like that. Especially when I am still feeling like that when I go to bed. Just no. So I think I'm actually learning what it feels like just before being over full and managing to stop eating. It's not even really a conscious thing most of the time - which is why I don't feel deprived. If I did it consciously, I think I would feel deprived and it would feel like a diet.

As for health, I feel best with little to no processed foods. Basically whole food plant based. Which I stick to probably 85-90% of the time. I'm also a vegetarian, but that is really because I just do not like meat and haven't since I was a kid.

As for the poops (ha!) I was a bit constipated for maybe the first week but now I'm back to my usual very regular self (I am a vegetarian, remember, and I eat a very large amount of fiber). :-)

Plus red wine! So many health benefits... Drinking the last of the bottle of Rioja right now...
  • barbheart
    Sandy eating only those mints is a HUGE victory!!!! hurrey congrats!!! thanks for posting your way of Omading I am sure others will benefit greatly!!!

Sarah! you got it!!! you rock with your Omad! that´s awesome!!! wow Rioja is strong for me! a glass and I fly! thanks for the detail expo on your Omad choices we are so different in the end!!!

Today I went into eating carbs, it was good I guess what I am doing is cycling the carb thing... I want to find my sweet spot with this...tks for sharing!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited August 2017
    For me eating low carb on my OMAD days helps me get back to my maintenance weight easier and on my splurge days it's a free for all :p
  • barbheart
    Sounds like an awesome way to keep feasting yet not gaining back the weight loss Brenda!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I've noticed immediately as soon as I started omad, (and started consuming carbs- I was strict keto before) that my BM came everyday like clockwork. This amazed me because on keto, I only went once every 3-4 days! Now I have read about constipation or even diarrhea on OMAD the first month or two- why is this? Because it's complete opposite for me.
    My OMAD meals consist of alot of sugary carbs and fat ( from sweets and desserts). Although I am trying to ween off of them eventually.. I always have protein with huge amounts of Vegetables or salads and then finish off with slice of cake or pastry or ice cream . ( Or all of the above :blush: ) My macros doesn't look very great - fat and carbs are always dominating, and too little protein..
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    I've never had diarrhea in OMAD, but I did deal with constipation the first couple of months. Nice you are not dealing with either. Maybe comstipation comes from less in/less out.

Enjoy not worrying about macros,or calories, etc. just enjoy the ride :).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    barbheart wrote: »
    Hi all I wanted to open this thread because I know many new comers have questions around what type of food is best for optimum health/weight loss whatever their goals are.
    I know this is a touchy subject but I hope we can use our excellent people´s skills love and compassion to address this in the most non judgemental of ways LOL!...

I open the thread with my own considerations. I normally tend to eat high carb (prior to OMAD). This how i got to my super overweight by high carb and constant binging on relatively healthy foods, so never drunk sodas, and my binges tend to be organic and healthy yet there were constant throughout the day.

I am personally experimenting with my Omad meals and I am finding that when I go low carb or lower carb, I drop more volumen and presumably more weight.

I am also aware that if I go too much on the keto/paleo line, I might eventually drop loads of weight yet pick it up again the moment I start eating high carbs which was my natural tendency prior to starting fasts.

I also recon that fasting which is new to me, never done it before in any previous weight loss plan, fasting generates appetite correction and maybe in time, I can trully reduce my high carb intake into a more sustainable "carb conscious" manner, so as to be able to eat carbs and at the same time either drop weight if I have to or else maintain if I am already at goal weight.

Also, when eating carbs since I am in OMAD I find that rice is the carb that makes me less inflamed or builds me back up in volume whereas breads, biscuits, chips will stagnate my weight drop.

I also reduced considerably my "poops" since OMAD and I find that Joe´s suggestion on eating beans has helped with the fiber side. Yet I wouldn´t mind "pooping" more...

What types of foods have supported best your weight drop?

I think low carb definitely will cause us to lose weight faster but I don't like low carb at keto levels cause I want nutrients from and to enjoy: fruits, legumes, whole grains, dairy, etc. I tried it for 1-week and that was enough for me.

If a person is on a keto diet and they go back to eating carbs, they will pick up a 1-time water gain of 3-4 lbs or so to support storing the glycogen but the weight gain wont continue unless too many calories are being eaten on a regular basis.

To try to get my nutrients, I'm concerned most with protein and micronutrients. I'm trying to eat a big salad, then I eat what's for dinner, then I eat a fruit-yoghurt smoothie later for desert. I try to make sure I'm getting in whole grains in there if I didn't eat some. We usually have homemade whole-wheat bread in the house so I will eat a couple of pieces if I didn't eat some whole grains. I also am taking multiple vitamins. I am thinking about doing some vegetable juicing also. I've got a garden so that should make that easier.

I do use some low carb strategies though. If I'm going to eat a lunch, I almost always try to make it very low carb like a big salad. That has helped me a lot in maintenance. I don't restrict carbs though for dinner but I do try to limit refined carbs a little but I don't completely restrict them either since there are so many yummy deserts out there.

I think my approach makes it sustainable for me because its pretty liberal and doesn't restrict me much. Whatever our plan, it must be feasible (lose weight and get adequate nutrition) and sustainable.
  • Brendalea69
    Sounds like an awesome way to keep feasting yet not gaining back the weight loss Brenda!

It sure is :)
  • barbheart
    Yes Bob your approach sounds fantastic. I dont see myself Keto either, but I do see myself limiting carbs somehow until I drop more weight but because I also listen to my body´s response this week I had 3 days low carb and 2 days relatively nice carbs without going over the board so if I create a nice balance then I will support my weight loss.. so far I am not needing sweet deserts cakes and so on so that´s also helping me.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Yes Bob your approach sounds fantastic. I dont see myself Keto either, but I do see myself limiting carbs somehow until I drop more weight but because I also listen to my body´s response this week I had 3 days low carb and 2 days relatively nice carbs without going over the board so if I create a nice balance then I will support my weight loss.. so far I am not needing sweet deserts cakes and so on so that´s also helping me.

Sounds well reasoned out. I don't think we have to be 100% strict but we do need some discipline. Balance I guess.
  • Brendalea69
    edited August 2017

My freezer is full of deer meat, yum yum :p
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    high carb low fat, pant based vegan all the way for me, you get to eat high volume/tasty food, healthiest there is for your body and your gut flora, plenty of variety and also get to feel good about yourself that you are not munching on tortured animals or contributing to all the bad environmental stuff that animal agriculture brings, win win win all around

I do think your way of eating is probably the healthiest, but I do not feel guilty eating animals.
    Also, a lot of the meat I eat is wild game. Hunters spend more money than any group to help promote the health of the game they hunt so it is sustainable. Grass fed elk, yum, yum (in moderation).

I remember from the 80s we had a hundred pounds of fresh deer meat sausage...ah I ate till stuffed nearly everyday after school!
  • Brendalea69
    edited August 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    high carb low fat, pant based vegan all the way for me, you get to eat high volume/tasty food, healthiest there is for your body and your gut flora, plenty of variety and also get to feel good about yourself that you are not munching on tortured animals or contributing to all the bad environmental stuff that animal agriculture brings, win win win all around

I do think your way of eating is probably the healthiest, but I do not feel guilty eating animals.
    Also, a lot of the meat I eat is wild game. Hunters spend more money than any group to help promote the health of the game they hunt so it is sustainable. Grass fed elk, yum, yum (in moderation).

I remember from the 80s we had a hundred pounds of fresh deer meat sausage...ah I ate till stuffed nearly everyday after school!

Me too but it was mainly venison burger or steak and this was an inexpensive way for my Dad to put good healthy food on the table for a family of 6 and only a one income household at that and I'm very thankful and blessed for that <3o:)