Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How about when people go on about a meatless lasagna.

Ah, you mean a casserole.

I'm Sicilian so that really offends me... lol!

Even though the meatless sauce is still layered with sheets of pasta?

Lol, still not lasagna...

I'm in the UK and we don't use casserole as a descriptor for such a broad range of items as in the US (and certainly never for anything with pasta) so I don't know what else we'd call a pasta layered dish identical in every way to traditional lasagne save for the sauce. Just like pasta cooked with a sauce in the oven is pasta bake and not casserole which I think is what it would be called in the US (though I may be remembering that incorrectly).

Just to add, I understand it's not a traditional dish but then there are lots of variations within many cultures. It's just the passage of time and natural progression.

Not everyone in the US calls the same things casseroles. What you described would also be called a pasta bake around here. Casseroles are meat, veggies, noodles, and sauce made from condensed soup all mixed together and baked in a casserole dish . . . sometimes with a topping of crushed potato chips or french fried onions (think green bean casserole).

Our neighbors just over the river to the west (aka Minnesotans) call a casserole a "hot dish".

I (in the US) often call lasagna a casserole. Around here pretty much anything that is saucy and cooked in a casserole dish is a casserole dish is a casserole.

Lasagna would not qualify then since it is made in a pan, not a casserole dish.

It's not lasagna if you cook it in a casserole dish?

Nope. It has to be flat and either square or rectangular (depending on the pan you use). Casserole dishes are bowls that you bake in and lasagna should not have a bowl shape.
  • staciej0
    staciej0 Posts: 19 Member
    I am a minnesotan. For me, and many others I know, a casserole is baked in the oven in a pottery or casserole dish. A hotdish is made on the stovetop. Casseroles do not always have condensed soup, or crunchy toppings. They can be any combination of meat, potatoes, veg, pasta and a sauce or soup and can be layered or mixed as can hotdishes.

Not everyone in the US calls the same things casseroles. What you described would also be called a pasta bake around here. Casseroles are meat, veggies, noodles, and sauce made from condensed soup all mixed together and baked in a casserole dish . . . sometimes with a topping of crushed potato chips or french fried onions (think green bean casserole).

Our neighbors just over the river to the west (aka Minnesotans) call a casserole a "hot dish".

• earlnabby
    Is this really an argument that is being had?

What has happened to this thread?

It is Friday and we are bored?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm in the UK and we don't use casserole as a descriptor for such a broad range of items as in the US (and certainly never for anything with pasta) so I don't know what else we'd call a pasta layered dish identical in every way to traditional lasagne save for the sauce. Just like pasta cooked with a sauce in the oven is pasta bake and not casserole which I think is what it would be called in the US (though I may be remembering that incorrectly).

Just to add, I understand it's not a traditional dish but then there are lots of variations within many cultures. It's just the passage of time and natural progression.

I (in the US) often call lasagna a casserole. Around here pretty much anything that is saucy and cooked in a casserole dish is a casserole dish is a casserole.

Nope. It has to be flat and either square or rectangular (depending on the pan you use). Casserole dishes are bowls that you bake in and lasagna should not have a bowl shape.

I'm not a huge casserole person but I'm confident my mom made a variety of them in a 9x13 Pyrex dish. I've never heard that a casserole dish was exclusively bowl shaped...

Well, a casserole dish is called such because casserole. That said, You could make a casserole in another dish but given that it seems to be us in the UK that has a very narrow scope of what a casserole constitutes then it seems be less relevant! And don't get me started on green bean casserole being called casserole.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    staciej0 wrote: »
    I am a minnesotan. For me, and many others I know, a casserole is baked in the oven in a pottery or casserole dish. A hotdish is made on the stovetop. Casseroles do not always have condensed soup, or crunchy toppings. They can be any combination of meat, potatoes, veg, pasta and a sauce or soup and can be layered or mixed as can hotdishes.

I have never heard of a hotdish being cooked on the stovetop. What ingredients would that have? Where in MN is that the definition?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    staciej0 wrote: »

I have never heard of a hotdish being cooked on the stovetop. What ingredients would that have? Where in MN is that the definition?

At least in my family, anything cooked on the stove involving multiple ingredients (meat and veg, typically, with some kind of broth or sauce and usually potato or rice) is either a "soup" (thinner) or a "stew" (thicker).
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not a huge casserole person but I'm confident my mom made a variety of them in a 9x13 Pyrex dish. I've never heard that a casserole dish was exclusively bowl shaped...

The 9x13 is a glass baking dish. Casserole dishes are different (in my corner of the world).

One thing I absolutely love doing is gathering information about regional English so this has been fun. What does your family or your region call certain things?

These questions are rhetorical. I don't want to derail the thread further by actually having people answer.

Is it a jelly roll, a jelly doughnut, or a Bismark?
    Do you drink from a drinking fountain, a water fountain, or a bubbler?
    Do you eat subs, hoagies, or grinders?
    Of course, there is the ultimate: soda or pop? (or Coke, or tonic)

• mph323

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The 9x13 is a glass baking dish. Casserole dishes are different (in my corner of the world).

One thing I absolutely love doing is gathering information about regional English so this has been fun. What does your family or your region call certain things?

These questions are rhetorical. I don't want to derail the thread further by actually having people answer.

What the hell, the thread can't get any more derailed than it already is - and your questions are interesting!

From Queens NY

Jelly doughnut
    Drinking fountain (water fountains are those big things in malls)
    Subs
    Soda (never heard of pop until we moved to CA)
  • mph323
    To me a jelly donut is a donut with jelly filling. A jelly roll is more like this:

d9cc5bafe65dd92e083bb80c70cbf45d.jpg

Yes, perfect, exactly what a jellyroll should be!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The US use of casserole confuses the bejeezus out of me, it can go in the pile with their use of "salad" . Australians go with the UK version of casserole.

I googled Bismark - I'd call it a JAM doughnut. (aus/UK jam = US jelly. Aus/UK jelly = US jello)

The roll pictured above would be a Swiss Roll, although it looks like it's trying to be a fancy pink Lamington.

I drink from a drink fountain.

I eat a roll. (we have subway, people don't really call them subs.... It's more like, "what did you get for lunch?", "I got Subway".)

And.... It's a soft drink.
  • earlnabby
    Ah, and to me, a Swiss roll is only a Swiss roll if the cake is chocolate, the inner frosting is white and, if there's anything on the outside of the cake, it'd be a thin layer of chocolate frosting, though leaving it plain is ok too.

Especially if it is made by Hostess or Little Debbie ;)
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2017
    mph323 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What the hell, the thread can't get any more derailed than it already is - and your questions are interesting!

From Queens NY

Jelly doughnut
    Drinking fountain (water fountains are those big things in malls)
    Subs
    Soda (never heard of pop until we moved to CA)

South Central Wisconsin:
    Bismark
    Bubbler
    Subs
    Pop

I moved to southeast Wisconsin and everything is the same except soft drinks are now soda.

Interesting trivia about bubbler: Kohler is a Wisconsin company and back in the late 1800's they sold a product called the "Kohler Sanitary Bubbling Drinking Fountain" where the water bubbled straight up from a central pipe instead of in an arc from the side. This got shortened to "bubbler" in Wisconsin (makes sense) and one little pocket somewhere in Pennsylvania where they had a really good salesman.

ETA: the basic cake doughnut around here is called a "fry cake"
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The US use of casserole confuses the bejeezus out of me, it can go in the pile with their use of "salad" . Australians go with the UK version of casserole.

I googled Bismark - I'd call it a JAM doughnut. (aus/UK jam = US jelly. Aus/UK jelly = US jello)

The roll pictured above would be a Swiss Roll, although it looks like it's trying to be a fancy pink Lamington.

I eat a roll. (we have subway, people don't really call them subs.... It's more like, "what did you get for lunch?", "I got Subway".)

Now you are going to have all the non antipodeans wondering what a 'lammington' is. :)

@estherdragonbat showed a jam roll, aka jam rolly polly- if suet is used, or Swiss roll- that usually had cream as well as jam.

The subway type thing is either a bun, muffin, or bap,

Pop, or fuzzy pop.

These are my northern England interpretations.
    My Canadian ones are similar to the USA.
    Some days I find it helI being bilingual- in the U.K. I speak Canadian and in Canada I speak English.

Oh and a casserole was something the posh folk ate, we had stew- didn't matter what it was, if it was cooked in the oven in one pot it was stew.

Cheers, h.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited August 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Now you are going to have all the non antipodeans wondering what a 'lammington' is. :)

@estherdragonbat showed a jam roll, aka jam rolly polly- if suet is used, or Swiss roll- that usually had cream as well as jam.

The subway type thing is either a bun, muffin, or bap,

Pop, or fuzzy pop.

These are my northern England interpretations.
    My Canadian ones are similar to the USA.
    Some days I find it helI being bilingual- in the U.K. I speak Canadian and in Canada I speak English.

Oh and a casserole was something the posh folk ate, we had stew- didn't matter what it was, if it was cooked in the oven in one pot it was stew.

Cheers, h.

Lol! Sir Winston called Americans and Brits " one people separated by a common language"
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Hey, could we rewind here? Salad? Does it seriously actually have a significant difference in meaning across the pond, or was that mostly a humorous remark?
This discussion has been closed.