Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

So am I, who stated that?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

You might want to do some soul searching.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

The emotional ties to food surely are resulting in weight issues.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

They don't move and eat too many calories

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?

Some != "epidemic"

Because we live in a very fast paced and lazy society. And fattening foods are so easily and quickly available...... oh and the advertiaing we are subjected to.

foods in general are not "fattening" it's the amount of food we eat that makes us fat and lack of movement...

As for the "advertiaing" please we are all grown ups and get to choose what we put in our mouth...*rolls eyes* that sounds like a cop out to me....

Yeah okay so donuts and maccas fries arent fattening, right? If we ate these every day we would most likely put on weight if you eat an apple every day obviously not.
    I think its a cop out the amount of people that say that sort of thing. *rolls eyes*
    Obviously you wont gain weight if you maintain a balanced diet and stay in you calorie needa etc, but to say foods in generel aren't fattening is a cop out.

And sure maybe you are the 1 in a million person that isnt influenced by advertising.....

It is designed to influence us on so many levels obvious and subconsciously. You might not want to buy a big mac or a honda or a certain insurance policy emmidiately... but those messages stick with you wether you think its a cop out or not.

I eat a donut every Saturday morning (it's a tradition that my husband's grandfather has been doing for years). I ate that donut every week while thin, then overweight, then in my weight loss phase, then in the transition period between weight loss and maintenance, and now over 4 years into maintenance I still eat a donut every single Saturday, and will continue to do so until he passes away. A donut is made up of calories, just like every other food. I've learned how to fit the donut into my calorie targets, just like I've learned how to fit in the apples I eat, (which always include caramel dip lol).

As for advertising goes-no tv here, or FB, or delivery newspapers or magazines etc. I've even blocked the ads here on MFP. I'm a big kid now so I've figured out how to act like a grown up, most of the times :D

Eating one donut a week isn't really comparable to eating donuts and macca fries (whatever that is) every day. Not saying there is anything wrong with either, just saying they are pretty different.

not really...during my active weight loss phase I ate a chocolate bar everyday... I mean everyday...

a full one not mini.

240 calories...people say they are fattening...well tell that to the 60 lbs I left in the dust.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    We got meat salad in Germany.
    Ah yes!
    That used to feature in trick questions on German tests at school level. Fun for all the class there.

What kind of trick questions involve meat salad?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    1. Jelly donut
    2. Water fountain
    3. Sub
    4. Pop (but I learned to say soda when going to college in MA and tend to write soda and sometimes say it still)

Grew up a bunch of places (mostly the west) with parents from the midwest (Iowa, Nebraska) and been in Chicago for many years.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    The fact that people say the exercise calorie database is way off. Like, what? I've been following for well over 5 years, probably 8 or so, no it's always spot on.

Depends on the exercise and the person.

Many exercises that vary a lot based on how hard/fast you are doing them get perceived as higher intensity by newbies to exercise or people way out of shape, and those are the ones that tend to be off.

Running x miles in y minutes at whatever one's weight is, pretty easy to estimate accurately, although the slower and longer you run (or walk) the more off the number is due to not subtracting the calories you would burn anyway during the same time. But other things, like swimming (MFP asks intensity, not speed or distance), zumba or other exercise classes, circuit training (depends a lot on what you do), elliptical, rowing (again, if based just on time, not distance), so on can be way off.

Other common issues I've seen from newbies include logging stationary biking as if it were outdoor biking (the calories tend to be less, often significantly less), again focusing on perceived intensity, not actual speed and resistence, and counting total time at gym vs. specific activities (newbie burning 1000 calories for 90 minutes at the gym "circuit training" or some such, when a lot of that was down time or activities that don't burn much).

Agree. Given that the 2 most common reasons for people not achieving their goals are underestimating intake and overestimating activity, I don't have any issue with either starting with only eating back half of exercise cals or being conservative with the exercise database.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Is it a jelly roll, a jelly doughnut, or a Bismark?
    Do you drink from a drinking fountain, a water fountain, or a bubbler?
    Do you eat subs, hoagies, or grinders?
    Of course, there is the ultimate: soda or pop? (or Coke, or tonic)

...and this is why humans will never be able to communicate whatsoever.

Bismarks are those chocolate covered donuts with pudding inside. It's my favorite.

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I can't even cite regional differences. I've lived in PA, FL, CA, WA. Not sure when or where I came up with these beliefs. It's my feels.

Lol! The chef in me is having a cringe moment. That is not pudding in a Bismark. It is Creme' Patisserie. It's my foodie OCD kicking in I know... :D

Is it in a choux bun? So sort of a giant profiterole/missing its top religieuses?
  • mmapags

Bismarks are those chocolate covered donuts with pudding inside. It's my favorite.

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I can't even cite regional differences. I've lived in PA, FL, CA, WA. Not sure when or where I came up with these beliefs. It's my feels.

Lol! The chef in me is having a cringe moment. That is not pudding in a Bismark. It is Creme' Patisserie. It's my foodie OCD kicking in I know... :D

Is it in a choux bun? So sort of a giant profiterole/missing its top religieuses?

Exactly! You never cease to impress!! ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

hahahah. And, here we go.

Sorry I didn't use the right WORD!!!!!
  • cmriverside
    To be fair, I buy the cheapie ones at Kroger's bakery. So you foodie/chefs, look away!!!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017
    We got meat salad in Germany.
    Ah yes!
    That used to feature in trick questions on German tests at school level. Fun for all the class there.

What kind of trick questions involve meat salad?
    This would be for teenagers who have just started learning German. Tests would have various little line drawings, and a list of names. You have to match the names to the pictures. The pictures would include a German-style meat salad looking as unlike a salad to English eyes as possible, and something else that looked like a salad (to the casual observer) that wasn't a Salat.

As I'm sure we all know, the English are renowned for their foreign language skills, and this is why.

• cmriverside
    It likely IS pudding at Kroger's. :lol:
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    "Nutrition cures what nutrition causes" seems to agitate those who rely on supplements and fad diets.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    WakkoW wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Hey, could we rewind here? Salad? Does it seriously actually have a significant difference in meaning across the pond, or was that mostly a humorous remark?

No, not humorous...
    Salad in the US seems to often be a mush of stuff with a creamy dressing. Eg "chicken salad", "egg salad".

Salad is one of my "pet peeves". My grandparents ate "greens", but the more refined people called them vegetables. Then it started to be that people mixed up different vegetables together and called it salad. Next we started to add oil, and cheese, and bacon, and raisins, and apples, and ..........

I guess you see my point, even if it's just an unpopular opinion.

There is nothing wrong with mixing foods together to create flavour combinations. Food doesn't have to be bland and boring. Food is more than just fuel.

My issue with the salad word is that the US use doesn't describe what I'd call a salad.

Have you ever been to the US? We have chicken and egg salad sandwiches, but when i think of a salad its greens (some sort of lettuce) with vegetables not sandwiches. Most all restaurants offer a salad made with made with lettuce usually called a side salad. But really, a salad can have anything included.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salad

Yes... Twice. What you call chicken salad and egg salad (and any other similar "salad") is not salad. Imo. If you asked for chicken salad in Australia, you'd get a salad (leaves, vegies, dressing etc) with chicken.

That would be called a salad with chicken the US.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I did have to ask Google how to spell the latter. But yeah, I'm a foodie with a penchant for baking. Mind you, never made choux pastry, or bake a lot these days for that matter. Because I just don't have the calories to eat whole cake!
  • mmapags

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

hahahah. And, here we go.

Sorry I didn't use the right WORD!!!!!

Yes, I know I have issues. My lovely wife tells me so whenever I correct her culinary terms or her knife technique. I'm usually asked to leave the room.... :p
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    I think weight loss shakes in long-term use is stupid. :x I've got a co-worker that really pushes the "Herbalife lifestyle", and it's hard not to roll my eyes every day. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it also doesn't teach portion control.
    Also, their "tea" tastes like rancid Kool-Aid. /duck
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    People don't think "chicken salad" is salad. If someone said "I feel like a salad," no one would think they meant chicken salad (or tuna salad or fruit salad or pasta salad). They might mean salad with chicken on it.

The difference is that in the US one would not describe a salad with chicken on it (my most common summer lunch) as a "chicken salad." It's a salad. "Chicken salad" is a specific dish or preparation of chicken.

What would one call egg salad or pasta salad in Australia, or do you just not have those at all?
  • mmapags

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I did have to ask Google how to spell the latter. But yeah, I'm a foodie with a penchant for baking. Mind you, never made choux pastry, or bake a lot these days for that matter. Because I just don't have the calories to eat whole cake!

Patel Choux is fairly easy. I'm sure you would nail it. I get it about the calories!
This discussion has been closed.