Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Can you refer me? I want in on that program!

It's like an MLM thing, but I can definitely hook you up. o:)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I would maintain at 2200 right now, but I'm a few years behind you two. I'll be 55 in a few weeks.

You two have given me goals to aim for in the next 6-7 years :)
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Okay. I think this one may be unpopular, but every woman I know well enough to discuss weight management with, actively thinks about and works at maintaining a healthy weight. They may never have been classified as "overweight" simply because they stopped/reversed the weight gain when their pants start to get too tight.

It may look easy to an outsider, but it isn't. It is absolutely crazy to think that once you achieve a certain weight you can coast and ride easy. It is a lifetime of taking care of yourself and prioritizing your health.

While I'm sure there are healthy weight people who absolutely never think about it, I think they are the unicorns. They might not obsess about it as much and simply eat less when they feel the extra pounds coming on.

That's been me my entire adult life. The most I've ever been above my ideal weight it 12 pounds, and that was well within a healthy weight, still. I consider myself pretty good at weight loss because, every few years, I need to lose a little to fit into my jeans comfortably again. Being so close to my goal means I have to be pretty exact to lose weight without undernourishing myself.

My unpopular opinion: fitness trackers are silly and overpriced.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I don't watch television and I like discussions anyway. But if there's someone playing folks to comment, I'd like that gig.
  • sammi_spring
    sammi_spring Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't find weight loss surgery the easy way out. You have to change how you eat 100% or your stomach will stretch out and you will gain. The restrictions are much less forgiving than with calorie counting.

I've decided i'm going to get it after fighting for years to lose 80 out of 160 pounds needed and gaining it back. I've been fat since i was 4 and ive been trying to lose weight my whole life- im 26 now and know its not coming off without help!

Statistically, it won't stay off if I do it alone. I can lose weight the natural way and lose weight fine and will do so until my surgery. But if I did it naturally, there is way less of a gaurentee of if staying off. Even less of a gaurentee of it staying off 5... 10..30 years from now. I'm done fighting my weight forever. I don't want to care about food and obsess over calories forever. WLS will be freedom! I'm doing it so I don't regain, not because calorie counting is too hard.

Just offering a different perspective.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's no guarantee with WLS either. The stats are better, but I wonder if all else were equal (super serious decision made, some medical support, education, so on) if the stats would be more similar, if we compared like to like. (I also, as mentioned upthread, lost 50 lbs, regained over time, and lost again, and don't think of that as making the first lost worthless or a failure.)

I don't think WLS is the easy way out, but I am bothered by it being promoted as the answer (I guess because I am really leery of serious surgery and making drastic changes to parts of the body when that can be avoided). And given that it STILL requires habit changes over time and not overeating and so on, I don't see why you could not use the tools that are used to be successful at that to be successful at a way that does not require surgery. Unless you think it will be easier in some way.

I don't judge people who have it -- they are them, I am me, and I am not in their place -- but I honestly do not understand making the choice. Not when there are other options, at least (urgent health situations aside).

That's not meant to be antagonistic and I wouldn't raise it with someone who didn't want to talk about it, but I am curious about this sometimes.

I know it's not the easy way out. Not from personal experience but from watching others in my life who have had it.

No one talks about the down side of it like lack of vitamin/mineral getting absorbed...or the loose skin that can be difficult, or the constant lethargy due to lack of calories or the chance of complications...

one of my friends almost died after his small intestines got a hole due to WLS.

I have another person in my life who is gaining it back...

My sister is pre op atm...it's not easy. I've talked to her lots...

depression, anxiety, poor self esteem, poor nutrition etc.

all issues and there is more...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion: running and lifting weights are not the be-all and end-all of exercises.

Yes, cardio will improve the cardiovascular system and burn calories, but it doesn't have to be running.

Some type of resistance will help maintain lean muscle mass, but it doesn't have to be lifting weights

Weight bearing exercise will help maintain healthy bones, but it doesn't have to be running.

Me, I swim and walk. Pulling my body through the water is great resistance AND cardio at the same time. Swimming also works all of the major muscle groups. Walking is weight bearing and cardio (as long as you keep up a good pace).

I agree that there is more to fitness than running and lifting weights, but I believe that they are at/near the top for optimizing your efforts, ie, I think your cardio fitness ROI for the time spent running and strength benefit ROI for lifting are difficult to match with other exercises.

I actually read a study that said that walking was better because even tho running is one of the best cardio exercises, the injuries you will get...not might...but will get outweigh it's benefits in comparison to walking.

For example I can run 3 miles in 30mins...or I can walk 3 miles in 45mins...

I do both to be frank...run and walk...I lift too...

but I do agree any form of resistance training is amazing....I've seen the results in others who don't lift...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion: running and lifting weights are not the be-all and end-all of exercises.

Yes, cardio will improve the cardiovascular system and burn calories, but it doesn't have to be running.

Some type of resistance will help maintain lean muscle mass, but it doesn't have to be lifting weights

Weight bearing exercise will help maintain healthy bones, but it doesn't have to be running.

Me, I swim and walk. Pulling my body through the water is great resistance AND cardio at the same time. Swimming also works all of the major muscle groups. Walking is weight bearing and cardio (as long as you keep up a good pace).

I agree that there is more to fitness than running and lifting weights, but I believe that they are at/near the top for optimizing your efforts, ie, I think your cardio fitness ROI for the time spent running and strength benefit ROI for lifting are difficult to match with other exercises.

I actually read a study that said that walking was better because even tho running is one of the best cardio exercises, the injuries you will get...not might...but will get outweigh it's benefits in comparison to walking.

For example I can run 3 miles in 30mins...or I can walk 3 miles in 45mins...

I do both to be frank...run and walk...I lift too...

but I do agree any form of resistance training is amazing....I've seen the results in others who don't lift...

My main goal for running is to push my HR up to a certain level for a sustained period of time, which doesn't happen with walking (walking is still important, I do walk several miles per day, but it is just incidental versus regimented walking for exercise). I do agree the injuries are inevitable with running.
This discussion has been closed.