Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion: running and lifting weights are not the be-all and end-all of exercises.

Yes, cardio will improve the cardiovascular system and burn calories, but it doesn't have to be running.

Some type of resistance will help maintain lean muscle mass, but it doesn't have to be lifting weights

Weight bearing exercise will help maintain healthy bones, but it doesn't have to be running.

Me, I swim and walk. Pulling my body through the water is great resistance AND cardio at the same time. Swimming also works all of the major muscle groups. Walking is weight bearing and cardio (as long as you keep up a good pace).

I agree that there is more to fitness than running and lifting weights, but I believe that they are at/near the top for optimizing your efforts, ie, I think your cardio fitness ROI for the time spent running and strength benefit ROI for lifting are difficult to match with other exercises.

I actually read a study that said that walking was better because even tho running is one of the best cardio exercises, the injuries you will get...not might...but will get outweigh it's benefits in comparison to walking.

For example I can run 3 miles in 30mins...or I can walk 3 miles in 45mins...

I do both to be frank...run and walk...I lift too...

but I do agree any form of resistance training is amazing....I've seen the results in others who don't lift...

My main goal for running is to push my HR up to a certain level for a sustained period of time, which doesn't happen with walking (walking is still important, I do walk several miles per day, but it is just incidental versus regimented walking for exercise). I do agree the injuries are inevitable with running.

I've seen some women in my neighborhood that do that jangy "powerwalk" and I've seen them actually pass some slower joggers. I imagine their HR is pretty comparable to the typical jogger. They do move. lol
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's no guarantee with WLS either. The stats are better, but I wonder if all else were equal (super serious decision made, some medical support, education, so on) if the stats would be more similar, if we compared like to like. (I also, as mentioned upthread, lost 50 lbs, regained over time, and lost again, and don't think of that as making the first lost worthless or a failure.)

Are there any good statistics on the long term success of WLS? I've tried to find them as I was curious what those success rates were, but no luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    My unpopular opinion: running and lifting weights are not the be-all and end-all of exercises.

Yes, cardio will improve the cardiovascular system and burn calories, but it doesn't have to be running.

Some type of resistance will help maintain lean muscle mass, but it doesn't have to be lifting weights

Weight bearing exercise will help maintain healthy bones, but it doesn't have to be running.

Me, I swim and walk. Pulling my body through the water is great resistance AND cardio at the same time. Swimming also works all of the major muscle groups. Walking is weight bearing and cardio (as long as you keep up a good pace).

I agree that there is more to fitness than running and lifting weights, but I believe that they are at/near the top for optimizing your efforts, ie, I think your cardio fitness ROI for the time spent running and strength benefit ROI for lifting are difficult to match with other exercises.

I actually read a study that said that walking was better because even tho running is one of the best cardio exercises, the injuries you will get...not might...but will get outweigh it's benefits in comparison to walking.

but I do agree any form of resistance training is amazing....I've seen the results in others who don't lift...

My main goal for running is to push my HR up to a certain level for a sustained period of time, which doesn't happen with walking (walking is still important, I do walk several miles per day, but it is just incidental versus regimented walking for exercise). I do agree the injuries are inevitable with running.

Maybe likely is a better word than inevitable? The vast majority of running injuries are repetitive motion injuries. A well designed training program where there is variety in the types of runs, strength training to combat muscle imbalances from running, etc will go a long way to prevent injury.

That being said, most runners I know will talk about how they should do mobility work, strength train, vary their runs, etc but it doesn't get done.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Swimming or elliptical or rowing or walking on a hilly terrain or biking could also get the heart rate up, though.

I do run, however, because I find it one of the most enjoyable exercises, and for me good for mental health, despite the fact that I get injured occasionally.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Maybe likely is a better word than inevitable? The vast majority of running injuries are repetitive motion injuries. A well designed training program where there is variety in the types of runs, strength training to combat muscle imbalances from running, etc will go a long way to prevent injury.

That being said, most runners I know will talk about how they should do mobility work, strength train, vary their runs, etc but it doesn't get done.

Yes, probably not inevitable. I think if you do run a lot, even the most diligent of runners will suffer some sort of injuries, even if it is something minor like blisters from breaking in new shoes, shin splints, minor pulls, or just general knee or ankle pain.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Swimming or elliptical or rowing or walking on a hilly terrain or biking could also get the heart rate up, though.

I do run, however, because I find it one of the most enjoyable exercises, and for me good for mental health, despite the fact that I get injured occasionally.

I'm with you, running is both my church and my psychiatrist's couch :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Not unpopular with me. I rarely run or lift weights (only have access to a few dumbbells) and never run just for the sake of running. If I am running it's because I'm in a hurry or being chased.
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    edited August 2017
    My unpopular opinion: most people who got fat as children/teens will never maintain a healthy weight, and the best we can hope for is yo yo dieting. The other option is accepting being fat for good. The existence of a few exceptions to this rule doesn't change my opinion. Statistically, it's an obvious fact.

A lot of people have replied to me - sorry for missing it. Just wanted to say it seems like a lot of people got mad and didn't actually read what I initially said. I said "most people." If that's not you, then it wasn't about you. But I think it might be worth looking at why you feel super definsive reading that little blurb. I really don't see a reason it required a response like I got at all.

I also know that I have been the person who got defensive- made all the same kinds of statements in the past "no, wrong, I'm in control, I know everything, etc" and it has made me a lot less able to pretend I know the future.

But on the other hand, if that's how you feel I can't tell you you're wrong. Maybe you're one of the exceptions. I said over and over I wish people luck, but y'all still mad because for some reason you took "most people" personally to mean YOU will gain the weight back and that's upsetting. However that's not what I said, if you actually read what I said. Based on statistics and my own observations, I stand by it. It's not controversial unless you make it controversial.

I didn't take it personally since I wasn't even close to being overweight in my teens. But the odds are still against me keeping my weight loss off permanently. That's not controversial or unpopular here. I think the problem was that your posts seemed to suggest that everyone should assume they will fail. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but if you read the replies it is how it came across. And surely you can see how people could take issue with that.

I don't think people should assume they will fail. But my own outlook is that I am not sure what will happen to myself. I will do my best, and that's all anyone can do. Being sure I would succeed has not helped me in the past, maybe being more wary will help.
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    My unpopular opinion: most people who got fat as children/teens will never maintain a healthy weight, and the best we can hope for is yo yo dieting. The other option is accepting being fat for good. The existence of a few exceptions to this rule doesn't change my opinion. Statistically, it's an obvious fact.

A lot of people have replied to me - sorry for missing it. Just wanted to say it seems like a lot of people got mad and didn't actually read what I initially said. I said "most people." If that's not you, then it wasn't about you. But I think it might be worth looking at why you feel super definsive reading that little blurb. I really don't see a reason it required a response like I got at all.

I also know that I have been the person who got defensive- made all the same kinds of statements in the past "no, wrong, I'm in control, I know everything, etc" and it has made me a lot less able to pretend I know the future.

But on the other hand, if that's how you feel I can't tell you you're wrong. Maybe you're one of the exceptions. I said over and over I wish people luck, but y'all still mad because for some reason you took "most people" personally to mean YOU will gain the weight back and that's upsetting. However that's not what I said, if you actually read what I said. Based on statistics and my own observations, I stand by it. It's not controversial unless you make it controversial.

I didn't take it personally since I wasn't even close to being overweight in my teens. But the odds are still against me keeping my weight loss off permanently. That's not controversial or unpopular here. I think the problem was that your posts seemed to suggest that everyone should assume they will fail. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but if you read the replies it is how it came across. And surely you can see how people could take issue with that.

I don't think people should assume they will fail. But my own outlook is that I am not sure what will happen to myself. I will do my best, and that's all anyone can do. Being sure I would succeed has not helped me in the past, maybe being more wary will help.

I would take "being aware" over "being wary", since the latter carries the potential for a self-fulfilling prophecy and the former simply means not getting complacent without expectations of failure.

I guess we all have our ways of looking at the world. For me, I am trying to be super honest with myself this time around, and not to have rosy glasses or pretend I can say for sure what will or won't happen in life. It feels the most rational given my experience. I've always been aware of this general phenomenon, but I also always thought "it won't happen to me." Now I am wary.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I've seen some women in my neighborhood that do that jangy "powerwalk" and I've seen them actually pass some slower joggers. I imagine their HR is pretty comparable to the typical jogger. They do move. lol

There's one of those around me, and she is incredibly fit... and fast! She's faster than my running pace, I'd wager. I only ever see her on the walking portion of my morning routine as she gets a later start than I do and I've already finished my running portion (I'm currently building my endurance to run the whole 5.5 mile route I do every day).
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    I can't run now. Not that I did much, hiking was my church and therapists couch but I have to be careful with that now too.

But I do think some sort of cardio that gets the heart rate up is important and is why I am just working around my limitations. Again, I could just go, oh well, lifelong degenerative problem, I'll just give up now I can't do the things I love best.

And I can still pick up and put down my dumbbells so that's cool.

Sorry that you can't do what you love anymore, but happy for you that you still work with what you've got. Eventually we all will have to make adjustments and come to terms with time and illness. I'm sure when that time comes for me, I'll find something else to keep my body moving. The older I get, the more aware I am that will become a reality some day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I can't run now. Not that I did much, hiking was my church and therapists couch but I have to be careful with that now too.

But I do think some sort of cardio that gets the heart rate up is important and is why I am just working around my limitations. Again, I could just go, oh well, lifelong degenerative problem, I'll just give up now I can't do the things I love best.

Sorry that you can't do what you love anymore, but happy for you that you still work with what you've got. Eventually we all will have to make adjustments and come to terms with time and illness. I'm sure when that time comes for me, I'll find something else to keep my body moving. The older I get, the more aware I am that will become a reality some day.

Thank you. It may be I can add some things back in once I see the physio but it's hip dysplasia so only going to get worse and I'd like to keep surgery as far off in the distance as possible!

But yep, age will get us all one day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yes, probably not inevitable. I think if you do run a lot, even the most diligent of runners will suffer some sort of injuries, even if it is something minor like blisters from breaking in new shoes, shin splints, minor pulls, or just general knee or ankle pain.

Totally anecdotal but I found this to be interesting:

My brother and SIL went to Peru with a group of their friends and adult kids. The older generation are all in their early to mid 60's and the younger group were in their 20's. All are fit and exercise regularly. The major hiking trips they took, like up to Machu Picchu, showed a definite difference. The walkers and bikers among them had very few problems with the path and the elevation, the runners among them had major issues and one even had to be carried partway by a porter. None live in an area with high elevation.

Like I said, anecdotal but interesting.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    WakkoW wrote: »

^This. I know my joints are ticking tomb bombs.

Your attitude is awesome VF.
This discussion has been closed.