August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just a walk today 2.3mi. My Girls went with me. Can it get any better? A girls day out walking! (Yes of course... make it Running, but we're easing them into it
  • ARoe9410
    ARoe9410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles

8/1: 1.5
    8/2: 4.0
    8/3: 3.0
    8/8: 2.0
    8/9: 4.0

Remaining: 35.5 miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    I can’t remember who, maybe @MobyCarp , posted that an upcoming race had 69 participants registered. That would be unheard of here! June’s beach race had the lowest registrants of the dozen or so races I’ve done in the last year and half with 150 finishers, including 14 in my Female 50-54 age group. Evidently, we have a lot of runners here in Florida, lol!

@BettyM1017 - Yes, that was me. The race is this evening. As of a few minutes ago, there were 85 preregistered for the 10K, and 317 including the 5K. Got an email from the race organizers, and they expect over 400 total. But it's a race on a Wednesday with 6 PM gun time, so that eliminates a lot of working people who can't leave work early. And the people who just want to show their support of the Veterans Outreach Center are more likely to run or walk the 5K.

It's kind of inconvenient for my schedule, but it's a Rochester Runner of the Year race and winning my age group would take the pressure off me for Oak Tree Half.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    By the way, I will be adding to the “chart” that everyone is talking about. I just have to search a bit for the link….and a tape measure…Oh, and as for the waist measurement, I was taught, by a seamstress, that you measure your waist where your elbows bend.

Lol this is my naval, almost hip territory then. I have long arms and legs with a shorter back.

zdyb23456 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

I take it to mean chest is below the protuberances and bust is measured around them.....ie. chest is around the ribs only.

I did that wrong then. I measured around the fullest part of my chest.

Also is the hip measurement around the widest part of your rear?

I had to Google this as Elise said chest was at the armpits and others said ribcage. Armpits were correct from what I found. Below protuberances was for bra measurement, but you were to add 5 to the number to approximate your chest measurement??

Ha, it sure is complicated.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    So because of the spreadsheet, I took all my measurements. Something I haven't done in awhile. Man, I am glad I did. I have lost 9 inches over my body since April! Sweet!!!

Woohoo! Congratulations!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So because of the spreadsheet, I took all my measurements. Something I haven't done in awhile. Man, I am glad I did. I have lost 9 inches over my body since April! Sweet!!!

Yay, congrats!!! That's awesome!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    this is pretty much what I see everywhere about measuring and where:

Before you start measuring, remember to:

Use a non-stretchable tape
    Make sure the tape measure is level around your body and parallel to the floor
    Keep tape close to your skin without depressing it.

Measurements:

Bust: Measure all the way around your bust and back on the line of your nipples.
    Chest: Measure directly under your breasts, as high up as possible.
    Waist: Measure at its narrowest point width-wise, usually just above the navel.
    Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hipbones.
    Midway: Measure midway between the widest part of your hips and your waist.
    Thighs: Measure around fullest part of upper leg while standing
    Knees: Measure immediately above the knee.
    Calves: Measure around fullest part.
    Upper arm: Measure above your elbows – around fullest part.
    Forearms: Measure below your elbows – around fullest part.

I hate this picture is blurry looking for a better one:

l0dqedsbkouv.jpg

Probably should find a way to add this image to the spreadsheet... or at least the information typed up.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So because of the spreadsheet, I took all my measurements. Something I haven't done in awhile. Man, I am glad I did. I have lost 9 inches over my body since April! Sweet!!

Hey congrats!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    8/01/2017 - 0 miles
    8/02/2017 - 9 miles Z3/Z4
    8/03/2017 - 7 miles Z2
    8/04/2017 - 5 Easy miles
    8/05/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k - 23:18
    8/05/2017 - Howl at the Moon 5k - 25:11
    8/06/2017 - Rest
    8/07/2017 - 7.75 miles
    8/08/2017 - 6.5 miles Z2
    8/09/2017 - 7 miles Z2

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

08/12/2017 - Friends of the Riverfront Trail Run - 15k
    10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Just coasting miles in the heat.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @rodmelching welcome to the best thread on MFP!

If you're on Strava and interested we have a club for this group. Obviously, this goes for any of the newly joined members!
    myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Fairly new to MFP and new to the running challenge. I'll try for 75 miles in August. Logged over 20 miles so far using strava. Have the goal of getting closer to the 20 miles per week. Training for a 10k at the end of September.

Welcome!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Fairly new to MFP and new to the running challenge. I'll try for 75 miles in August. Logged over 20 miles so far using strava. Have the goal of getting closer to the 20 miles per week. Training for a 10k at the end of September.

welcome! You have a ton of time to train for a 10k and working up to 20mpw is a great goal.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Been busy at work today. Finally got a chance to catch up and post my stuff.

Ran my 4 miles today, bring TMR: 23
    I felt so sluggish this morning, like a turtle thru molasses, but I kept my times below 12.5 minutes each mile. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

Slow, hard runs are great for building confidence. You can look back on them and remember that you pushed through.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 80. I have my first 5K ever on Labor Day and my goal is to complete it in less than 29 minutes.

8/1: 3.5
    8/3: 3.5
    8/4: 2.7
    8/5: 6.1
    8/7: 2.7
    8/8: 3.5
    8/9: 4.3
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies- @rodmelching, @DanielleM7810, @johnmcc215!! We are a pretty crazy group of runners!

On the strength training subject - I started training (with a trainer) before I started running (it is ALL his fault). It has helped me in SO many areas, especially with stability and I just love being strong. I love being able to lift things and being able to tell the guys at the store that thank you, I can carry my own groceries. I also have to admit I love the way my arms and back look and the glances from the guys at the gym when I am lifting heavy :) It is not the same wonderful feeling as after a run but I also feel great after I work out and find it very satisfying. Like running though it is hard and feels pretty terrible when you start out but over time gets much easier.

@lporter229, @skippygirlsmom, @seanevan10 - Pretty sure I am the president of the 'itty-bitty' club. My husband used to tease me about my flat, frictionless surface :(

Also congrats in the inches lost @seanevan10!! That is awesome!

@KatieJane83 - love the 'Runhole'! I need to share it with my friends and family too!

@PastorVincent - love where you get to run! Beautiful!!