4-Day Water Fast (Wed, 08.09-Sat, 08.12)

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
I'm beginning another water fast. Last ate at 7pm tonight. It's time.

I need to flush some small kidney stones that (ironically almost) came from too many green smoothies. Passed several the last few days. Not terrible pain, but bad enough to be sore. Be VERY careful that whatever you smoothie up doesn't have high oxalate content! I thought I was doing well, but apparently not! I'm still feeling a pulling after eating. The pulling or tightness has been on my upper-left side under my rib cage. Never had such a sensation before.

Fast will be broken in the afternoon Sunday.

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Bummer about the kidney stones - they are not fun - my partner was hospitalised last year with one after it got stuck at the opening to the bladder.

Apparently you only need to be worried about high oxalate content if you are susceptible to kidney stones.

But of course, the only way to find out if you are susceptible is to actually have a kidney stone, so kind of a catch-22.

The water is good though - lots and lots of water! Good luck on getting rid of the nasty little suckers! :)
  • ooliviuoo
    ooliviuoo Posts: 81 Member
    I have some recent experience in this field (kidney self cleaning during water fast). I would like to suggest you to drink plenty of clean water (avoid to be thirsty), this would help you a lot. Also, in my case, a longer water fast was needed for kidney cleaning (2 weeks).

Also, after Sunday, eat a lot of water melon, works best for me. Start with a small slice and double the quantity every 2 hours. You need to have a toilet nearby for sure :)

Good luck, Mr.Joe !
  • arguablysamson
    Sept. 17th, 2004, 3:34am; that was the date of my kidney stone. Got up in the night and wife drove me to the hospital. Got the stone from drinking those 3 64oz Dr Peppers per day. Took 4 days to pass the stone, if I recall. So yeah, I have had them. Male childbirth!!!!
  • arguablysamson
    ooliviuoo wrote: »
    I have some recent experience in this field (kidney self cleaning during water fast). I would like to suggest you to drink plenty of clean water (avoid to be thirsty), this would help you a lot. Also, in my case, a longer water fast was needed for kidney cleaning (2 weeks).

Also, after Sunday, eat a lot of water melon, works best for me. Start with a small slice and double the quantity every 2 hours. You need to have a toilet nearby for sure :)

Good luck, Mr.Joe !

You just helped me set my meal for the fast breaking! Thanks!
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Well Joe we are with you as you are with us!!!! good luck on this longer fast!!! you have a strong mind so maybe you can direct the stone to the nearest exit asap?...
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited August 2017
    Kidney stone sufferer here too...I haven't had one since losing weight but if I ever do I'll have to remember to water fast and eat lots of watermelon...I hope it passes soon and isn't too painful for you o:)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Sorry to hear Joe. Never had one and hope to hell I never do. Good Luck.
  • barbheart
    Joe my husband said do a fast adding lemon juice to dissolve the stone...
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Ouch, I've never had one, but I've heard things. Hope you're able to rid it soon!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Yikes! I've only had one very small one, and even that was the devil! Good luck Joe I'm with you for at least a couple of your fasting days, we'll get through it together ;)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited August 2017
    For those who have never had a kidney stone, be lucky you haven't and I hope you never do because even the small ones hurt really bad so you can only imagine what the big ones must feel like, OUCH OUCH OUCH :/
  • arguablysamson
    I was never prone to them, but got them from sucking down sodas and not enough water. But heads up--oxalate greens like and watercress, parsley, spinach, arugula, and kale are kidney stone-causers much faster! :open_mouth:

Who'd a thunk it!
  • arguablysamson
    Today wasn't that bad, hunger-wise.
  • barbheart
    Well done Joe!! How can you be so sure you will expell stones during this fast? can you feel it happen or wanting to happen?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited August 2017
    Sept. 17th, 2004, 3:34am; that was the date of my kidney stone. Got up in the night and wife drove me to the hospital. Got the stone from drinking those 3 64oz Dr Peppers per day. Took 4 days to pass the stone, if I recall. So yeah, I have had them. Male childbirth!!!!

I can relate! I've only had one but I couldn't even talk when it was at it's worst. Bad stuff. Rhubarb has oxylic acid in it also. That is why the leaves are poisonous.
  • arguablysamson
    barbheart wrote: »
    Well done Joe!! How can you be so sure you will expell stones during this fast? can you feel it happen or wanting to happen?

Well, I've already passed a super-small one that broke apart. I really just want to make sure they are flushing out (or what remains of them). A man can tell because the salt-grain-sized bit, as it works its way out, messes with urine flow and causes pain, feeling like a yeast infection with burning and general discomfort. We shall see!
  • blambo61
    You can pee through a strainer also and catch the stone. That is what they had me do and then I took it in for analysis to see what kind of stone it was to try to figure out the cause of it.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    My poor partner had to get a stent put in... He had that in for a few weeks and then they took it and the stuck stone out (it never did pass). Though he also figures he has had quite a few in the past - he always thought that the pain he was having was just back pain!
  • blambo61
    minigrrll wrote: »
    My poor partner had to get a stent put in... He had that in for a few weeks and then they took it and the stuck stone out (it never did pass). Though he also figures he has had quite a few in the past - he always thought that the pain he was having was just back pain!

He must be very pain tolerant!
  • arguablysamson
    blambo61 wrote: »
    You can pee through a strainer also and catch the stone. That is what they had me do and then I took it in for analysis to see what kind of stone it was to try to figure out the cause of it.

They did that with my first one and that's how they know it was caused by excess soda consumption. A lot of caramelization going on in the sample.