August 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• puglife456
    puglife456 Posts: 127 Member
    Hello! Starting a little late but I'll try for 90 miles for August stArting yesterday.

August 9: 5.0 miles
    August 10:
    August 11:
    August 12:
    Total miles logged in August: 5.0 miles
    Total miles left to go in August: 85 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Well done, Mr. @MobyCarp ! Cool looking medals too!
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Irontri7 Canbor makes a great set for less than $40 and their customer service is fantastic.

The pair I have now are these from Senso, which look very similar to those.

FWIW, the Senso ones I have now are pretty great sound-wise. I'd recommend them to anyone, they just don't work for me and my misshapen ears.

Those are the ones I was going to recommend, so I got nothin'. My standard is "cheap on Amazon," and these met that standard. I wear glasses, and don't have an issue, and I've found that they twist to fit into my ears. The problem I had this morning was with my other pair, which has always been less good at getting/staying paired.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I'm in for 80. I have my first 5K ever on Labor Day and my goal is to complete it in less than 29 minutes.

8/1: 3.5
    8/3: 3.5
    8/4: 2.7
    8/5: 6.1
    8/7: 2.7
    8/8: 3.5
    8/9: 4.3

welcome. You've got some great consistency going there.

Thanks. Another 4.3 in the can this morning. 30 miles down, 50 to go! Right on track so far.

Rest day tomorrow before long run Saturday and another rest day on Sunday. I think I've been fighting a very minor case of plantar fasciitis (from moving heavy objects while wearing flip flops, of all things!) and I'm very much looking forward to giving it a rest.

I've decided to run a 'trial' 5k on my 8/23 run to get an idea of my pacing for the Labor Day 5k. Since it's pretty low risk, I'm going to see if I can test how aggressive I can be on race day. I'm planning to try and run mile 1 at 9:00, drop back to 9:15 for the next 1.7 miles, and give it whatever I have left in the tank for the last 800m. These numbers are a bit extreme for me as I run easy at 10'40" and threshold in the mid-9's (over 3.5 miles). We'll see what happens but I'm definitely going to ease off if needed to avoid injury so close to the race date.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    @seanevan10 - Happy early Birthday!

@MobyCarp - Congrats on the race! The medal looks like a challenge coin. Very cool!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I added the measurement image to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit#gid=0

I'm madly busy getting ready for a weekend away or I'd succumb to my OCD and enter the cm/in conversions for everyone that hasn't done it that's been bugging me. :smiley:

One of us was bound to do it!

Ha! @orphia and @Elise4270! I keep going in when I have a minute and aligning the numbers so they all have the same decimal places and spacing! I finally had to close it and just not look at it :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I added the measurement image to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit#gid=0

I'm madly busy getting ready for a weekend away or I'd succumb to my OCD and enter the cm/in conversions for everyone that hasn't done it that's been bugging me. :smiley:

One of us was bound to do it!

Ha! @orphia and @Elise4270! I keep going in when I have a minute and aligning the numbers so they all have the same decimal places and spacing! I finally had to close it and just not look at it :)

I did the same thing today... Haha!!!! You can be the designated formatter!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    1---5.49mi/ 8.85km
    3---4.23 / 6.8
    5---4.55 / 7.3
    6---9.14 l 14.7
    8---2.85/4.6
    10---2.87 4.6

Total 29.13/47.0
    Goal 89 miles/144 km

Upcoming races:

Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's 1 mile 10:04  5k 34.27 10k 1:12.49
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    @MobyCarp that's some seriously good-looking bling.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ yeah for a “brilliant” run!! Nice piggy!

@seanevan10 that’s just wrong – good reason he’s an ex. Happy early birthday! Go August!

@amymoreorless any time my hip hurts it has to do with weak hip flexors. I do exercises to make them feel better and that usually works. I’m forever doing clamshells.

@hanlonsk I hate that, feel better soon.

@pastorvincent my company says no way to the google docs and I don’t have a laptop at home so I can’t add my pretty picture to the spreadsheet

@kristinegift those darn bowels. BTW how is the job?

@cburke8909 wow that is so beautiful

@zdyb23456 super job!

Thanks @girlinahat I can’t believe I’m that first age either ha ha

Great job @mobycarp your medal looks more like a challenge coin and considering the race I would say that is what it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Thanks for the much appreciated Birthday wishes!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @MobyCarp congrats on another great race, hope the niggles go away. Played some soccer with both boys today. I may get to be the assistant coach for his team this fall. Going to need cleats to protect my feet.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    srsly? and you call yourself a runner?

I always thought the equation for how many running shoes you should have was the same as the rule for bikes - n+1 where n=the number currently owned.

No I do not, but others like @MobyCarp insist that I am :lol:

so how many of you change out shoes for your runs? When did you start that? Early on? or when you were running many more miles?

I'm sorry to say that I have more workout and running shoes than I have cute shoes. Sigh. Then again, I've always had different shoes for different jobs.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    BLUE TOOTH HEADSETS

I have spent $1000s on them now. I have tried sets from $10 up to almost $200 a pair. I plan to do a youtube round up of them, but SO FAR to date, the ONLY set that still currently works for me are the Plantronics Backbeat ( http://amzn.to/2vq365G ). I have tried JayBird, JLabs, and many others. They all failed in one respect or another.

So far the Plantronics have stayed in my ears and survived over a month of hard use. That is a flippen record for me. Not joking.

I have the Jaybird X3s. They're decent but I'm not sure they're anything special (though I love the fact that they are totally sweat resistant). I'll get the Backbeats once I'm ready for a new pair - I like the open ear design better. Not only for awareness on the roads but also because they fit my awkward ears better than bud style headphones do.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Happy Birthday @skippygirlsmom !
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Happy Birthday!!

@MobyCarp Awesome results and bling and a seriously awesome turnout for a Wednesday race! It's great to see so much veteran love in a community.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Happy Birthday @skippygirlsmom! Congrats on your awesome morning bday run with Skip!