Great article on the Clean Eating malarkey

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Fantastic article, thanks for sharing!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Here's the important bit:

"The real question is how to fight this kind of diet absolutism without bouncing back to a mindless celebration of the modern food environment that is demonstrably making so many people sick. In 2016, more than 600 children in the UK were registered as living with type 2 diabetes; before 2002, there were no reported cases of children suffering from the condition, whose causes are diet-related.

Our food system is in desperate need of reform. There’s a danger that, in fighting the nonsense of clean eating, we end up looking like apologists for a commercial food supply that is failing in its basic task of nourishing us. Former orthorexia sufferer Edward L Yuen has argued – in his 2014 book, Beating Orthorexia – that the old advice of “everything in moderation” no longer works in a food environment where eating in the “middle ground” may still leave you with chronic diseases. When portions are supersized and Snickers bars are sold by the metre (something I saw in my local Tesco recently), eating “normally” is not necessarily a balanced option. The answer isn’t yet another perfect diet, but a shift in our idea of what constitutes normal food."
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2017
    Interesting.
    Clean eating – whether it is called that or not – is perhaps best seen as a dysfunctional response to a still more dysfunctional food supply: a dream of purity in a toxic world.

gj2lno90s3sm.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Good article. Covered a lot of how the evolution of dieting came about since the early 2000's and the onslaught of diet guru's peddling all sorts of advice that had little scientific or cherry picked evidence to back it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Fantastic article!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Really good article, thanks for linking!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Out of all of this, I just have a single question.

Why the *kitten* is "malarkey" back in the global lexicon? Seriously, *kitten* Joe Biden for that.

You're right. Baloney would be a far more appropriate adjective for this thread title...

Great article, thanks for sharing. I'm just sad the Food Babe didn't get a shout out... I blame her for the vast majority of these ridiculous fear mongering claims that served as a catalyst for many of the profit seeking, clean eating, wellness gurus that have cropped up in recent years...

• OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Why the *kitten* is "malarkey" back in the global lexicon? Seriously, *kitten* Joe Biden for that.

Funny, I don't know many who use the word, but it has and will probably remain in my vocab. :smile: It could be a matter of where one lives in the world. Until well into my 20's (over a decade ago), I lived about 20 minutes from Joe Biden's residence in Delaware. I also know of another friend from the region (north of delaware) who uses the word.

Speaking about weird word choices, my in-laws are from Pittsburgh, PA and they call soda "pop". That's just wrong.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Speaking about weird word choices, my in-laws are from Pittsburgh, PA and they call soda "pop". That's just wrong.

I am from the deep south and we call ALL carbonated drinks Cokes (regardless of the flavor).

Great article, thanks for posting it!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

Oops. On this side of the Atlantic in Ireland and England, we would use the word "malarkey" over "Baloney" more often to be honest.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    This should be required reading for anyone who wants to lose weight or change their diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Funny, I don't know many who use the word, but it has and will probably remain in my vocab. :smile: It could be a matter of where one lives in the world. Until well into my 20's (over a decade ago), I lived about 20 minutes from Joe Biden's residence in Delaware. I also know of another friend from the region (north of delaware) who uses the word.

I use the words malarkey (not baloney) AND pop (although I sometimes use soda too).
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Stopped reading at Jordan Younger. She's not a good person.

You can cast a cloud over any subject when you cite only the extremist, misinformed, opportunist types.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Lol, there was a time when "horsefeathers" was really popular to call BS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, there was a time when "horsefeathers" was really popular to call BS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ha the old-time kitten filter :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    "Why has clean eating proved so difficult to kill off? Hadley Freeman, in this paper, identified clean eating as part of a post-truth culture, whose adherents are impervious, or even hostile, to facts and experts."

LOL
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Excellent read I wish there were more articles like this.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

Us Brits still use the word. I use it quite often.

The guardian is a British paper.

Who the *kitten* is Joe Biden?