Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• cms_76
    cms_76 Posts: 1 Member
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Don't hate me but the whole "you can be obese and healthy" mindset is absurd to me. Define healthy. You mean to tell me your joints don't ever hurt? You aren't at risk for more diseases than if you were of a normal weight? Be honest with yourself! Let's stop sugar coating (no pun intended) this by calling it "body positivity."

Totally agree with this. I mean, there's a difference between being "chubby" or "curvy" or whatever euphemism is in style, and being OBESE. Obesity is NOT a healthy way to be. And I say this as a person who IS obese. I am also on high blood pressure meds, high cholesterol meds, and I just started Metformin. I think that once some of the "body positivity" crusaders age, and their bodies start punishing them for not taking better care in their youth, their attitudes will change. (Mine sure as hell did once I hit 40.)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    cms_76 wrote: »
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Don't hate me but the whole "you can be obese and healthy" mindset is absurd to me. Define healthy. You mean to tell me your joints don't ever hurt? You aren't at risk for more diseases than if you were of a normal weight? Be honest with yourself! Let's stop sugar coating (no pun intended) this by calling it "body positivity."

Totally agree with this. I mean, there's a difference between being "chubby" or "curvy" or whatever euphemism is in style, and being OBESE. Obesity is NOT a healthy way to be. And I say this as a person who IS obese. I am also on high blood pressure meds, high cholesterol meds, and I just started Metformin. I think that once some of the "body positivity" crusaders age, and their bodies start punishing them for not taking better care in their youth, their attitudes will change. (Mine sure as hell did once I hit 40.)

Reentering my profile photo into evidence.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion I have is that fat-shaming has its place as long as the person doesn't have a legitimate eating disorder or medical problem. Hey, I was obese and if it wasn't for being fat-shamed I'd be even bigger today instead of 195lbs and 10%bf with an addiction to nutrition and working out. So don't say I haven't walked in their shoes. The problem I have with it is your obesity is affecting EVERYONE. Medical costs, health insurance costs, fast food on every corner from demand, you flowing onto my lap on the plane, etc, etc, etc.

Yawn....another former fatty who's turned the self hate they had for themselves while obese into a judgmental attitude for those still struggling.

Look, you don't ever have the right to tell someone they're too fat. YOUR obesity ALSO affected EVERYONE while you were obese and if you got a kick in the pants and fixed it, good on ya. However, a kick in the pants doesn't work for everyone and, again, you aren't the one who gets to make that choice for other people.

For me, I don't approve of obesity, my own, or anyone else's. All the problems you listed are legitimate consequences of obesity. I would never try to shame someone into losing weight, however, and the person who tried to do so to me would find out just how mistaken they were in the assumption that they had any right to do so.

Ok, I can accept this. I should have put it in the converse. What I should have said is the fat acceptance movement is BS. And is somewhat overlaps what I said in the sense of the family and friends that are enablers when they should be giving you tough love but supporting you.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm all for the truth, but I'm also all for compassion and not attacking someone with the facts directly in a way that feels like I'm attacking them personally. I'm not perfect, but I try to pick my words to the best of my ability not to be hurtful. The way I found well-received without overtly sugar coating or attacking someone is to try and make my posts factual and informative rather than accusatory. This puts the person in a position to self-reflect and think about what is being said instead of feeling hurt and immediately putting up defences. Kindness goes a long way, even if it's masquerading as dry facts. Another way I use is to simply share my experience with something without words of judgement directed at anyone.

Precisely. Unvarnished direct criticism may be honest, and it might be fun (for someone(s)), but it's a heckuva poor and low-percentage persuasion strategy.

That's completely leaving out any consideration of whether it's desirable to be, y'know, kind to people.

So you don't like the unpopular opinions that I have posted in the "What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?" forum? :|
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm all for the truth, but I'm also all for compassion and not attacking someone with the facts directly in a way that feels like I'm attacking them personally. I'm not perfect, but I try to pick my words to the best of my ability not to be hurtful. The way I found well-received without overtly sugar coating or attacking someone is to try and make my posts factual and informative rather than accusatory. This puts the person in a position to self-reflect and think about what is being said instead of feeling hurt and immediately putting up defences. Kindness goes a long way, even if it's masquerading as dry facts. Another way I use is to simply share my experience with something without words of judgement directed at anyone.

Precisely. Unvarnished direct criticism may be honest, and it might be fun (for someone(s)), but it's a heckuva poor and low-percentage persuasion strategy.

That's completely leaving out any consideration of whether it's desirable to be, y'know, kind to people.

So you don't like the unpopular opinions that I have posted in the "What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?" forum? :|

And you don't like that people are pointing out that they don't like your unpopular opinion?

See how that works?

On the debate section, no less.
This discussion has been closed.