My story so far, 80 pounds down in a little less than a year

2»

Replies

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Very inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing. You've already helped so many people.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Impressive! Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone opened your life up to new possibilities.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    awesome- I too am so thankful to hear of such a good weight loss from workouts done from home- I too am working out at home and loving it! - You are a true inspiration
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Congratulations on your hard work. Thanks so much for posting
  • AidaF430
    AidaF430 Posts: 173 Member
    Congratulations on your success. You gained more from your journey than just losing weight, You've transformed your life and that is very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing. :D
  • cyranda63
    cyranda63 Posts: 614 Member
    Inspirational! Thanks for sharing Tricia..
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    I was just doing a search to see if there are other Jessica Smith fans here, and stumbled across your story. I’m so impressed and hope you are still doing well!
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    My name is Tricia, and I'm 30 years old. Here's my story so far, thank you for reading it.

I've always been a bigger girl. My parents were bigger people. Most of my family is overweight, actually that's probably a generous word for it. I never knew any different. My parents were always dieting, weight watchers or Atkins or whatever. Even I went on the slim fast diet when I was only 12 years old. My weight kept increasing as I grew older. I was always the chubby girl in high school. Always the overweight girl in college. I never thought much of it because that was just how I was. Then I found out I was pregnant, and let me tell you that did not do any favors to my body at all! I never paid much attention to it. I ate like crap but didn't really care. I don't know any differently.

In June 2016 I went to the doctor for a routine check up. The number on the scale shock to me. It was 237 pounds. Holy crap, that's a pretty big number. I knew I was above 200 pounds, but for some reason that number just hit me. It's not healthy. My son need me to be healthy. I need myself to be healthy. So I decided I would change.

Before, when I went on one of my many diet binges, I found out about my fitness pal. I decided to try it again. So that day, I made an account. And I never looked back.

I started to log everything I was eating. And the thing is, I wasn't really eating that much. The things I were eating though, they were all wrong. There was hardly any nutritional value. And I was definitely eating way too much junk food, way too many chips and cookies. But still, I wasn't really eating terribly, just mindlessly eating. Slowly I started to make changes. I started cooking more. Are used ground turkey instead of ground beef. I made sure vegetables were in almost every meal I ate. I stopped drinking anything other than water.

I also became more active. I never really was a person who did exercise or sports. Most of that was due to the fact that my parents were so afraid to have me in sports or gym class. I am visually impaired, and they were afraid that if I hit my head a certain way that I could lose the little vision I had left. I decided that my health is more important then a small chance I could lose my vision. So I started walking. I walked a lot. Then I slowly started introducing different exercises. I did Leslie Samsone's walk at home, which was great in the beginning. Then I did, and continue to do, a lot of Jessica Smith YouTube videos. I never got a gym membership. All my workouts are done at home. I started doing strength training videos. I eventually got into yoga which I absolutely love! I also did a 5K in March, which I never ever thought would be possible. The one thing I did buy was my Fitbit, which has been amazing. It has been so motivating for me. I now get around 20,000 steps a day.

I have learned a lot along the way. I've learned that the number on the scale is only one way to measure health. I've learned not to look at things as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. I've learned that all food is OK in moderation. And I want to help others. If I can lose 80 pounds in a little less than a year, with no gym membership or personal trainer or anything like that, but anyone can do it. I mostly blind, so I understand how it is to adapt things to fit your needs. I want to help others reach their goals. I'm not licensed or anything, but if anyone wants encouragement and support, please feel free to add me. I would love to help those who are just starting out or in the middle of their journey. My journey is not finished. I'm at 157 pounds as I write this. I would like to get to about 130 and see what happens from there. So please feel free to add me as a friend and/or send me a message. You can do this! We can do this together.
    By the way, sorry for any typos. I use a screen reader to do all my typing and it can be hard to catch misspelled words and small typos.

• curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Way to go! How tall are you cause 130 may be too low for you. Just a thought
  • verneto1978
    verneto1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Wow! You have a great story! Thanks for sharing it. I recently got some disturbing health news that spurred me to make changes in my diet and start exercising. You are an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!