Do you have a food/drink that you have to abstain from?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I can't think of anything.

I just seem to have just gotten used to buying a wide variety of treats in single serves.

I only used to pig out on anything before I learned to count calories in April 2015.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    260scott wrote: »
    59l38xb17ntt.jpg

Cheese is like crack for me. I can't have it in the house.

Ditto. I will go through an 8-10 oz block of swiss in a day and a half.

I also have a difficult time with tubs of ice cream. Single serving items are okay, but a half gallon of chocolate or cookies and cream? Ugh. So hard to control it.
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    59l38xb17ntt.jpg

I also have a difficult time with tubs of ice cream. Single serving items are okay, but a half gallon of chocolate or cookies and cream? Ugh. So hard to control it.

I'm surprisingly okay with cheese. In fact, it's become my distraction snack. If I'm craving something sweet or salty, I'll have a 25g chunk of cheese and find that curbs the original craving and satisfies me, whereas if I gave into temptation and had a bag of crisps, I would find it difficult to stop at one.

I'm definitely a salt girl though. Love crisps, nuts and maize snacks. Because my boyfriend isn't dieting, he likes to have crisps in the house, which is definitely a struggle. If he doesn't actively ask me to add crisps to the online shopping order though, I'll 'forget'
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    59l38xb17ntt.jpg

I'm surprisingly okay with cheese. In fact, it's become my distraction snack. If I'm craving something sweet or salty, I'll have a 25g chunk of cheese and find that curbs the original craving and satisfies me, whereas if I gave into temptation and had a bag of crisps, I would find it difficult to stop at one.

I'm definitely a salt girl though. Love crisps, nuts and maize snacks. Because my boyfriend isn't dieting, he likes to have crisps in the house, which is definitely a struggle. If he doesn't actively ask me to add crisps to the online shopping order though, I'll 'forget'

I am so envious of people who can do that with cheese. "If one serving is good, 5 is better!" :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    I'm pretty ok with moderating most things, even though it may be difficult to portion control ice cream and other desserts I can usually do it so I buy those things regularly.

But I don't buy muffins or breakfast pastries because they are too many calories and I get hungry too fast so I end up way overeating that day if I do that. I miss having a big fluffy blueberry muffin from the bakery for breakfast but it is one of the only things I've drawn the line and said too many calories for what it is.
  • Gab149
    Gab149 Posts: 26 Member
    Cheese and crackers. Ice cream.

Lately I've learned how to slice cheese about a millimetre thick, so that it melts on my tongue. No crackers.

The problem is that I keep wanting several millimetres.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited August 2017
    Anything with cheese, esp mac n cheese and shrimp n grits (grew up with both and so they are just so satisfying to my emotional palette).
    Pastries
    Almond butter
    Cookies
    Brownies
    Nutella

I have learned that I can overeat anything that I find overly delicious, so I have to keep it out of the house and only have it on vacation.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2017
    Regular soda, potato chips, and fastfood side dishes & desserts.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    I also have trouble with breakfast cereals, such as Frosties, any granola involving chocolate, and of course, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, which everyone knows contain some kind of narcotics.

ETA I don't actually abstain from these things, as banning things just makes them more appealing to me. I limit my access to them.

Crunchy nut is definitely laced with something. I've been known to plow through a whole box in less than a day. Stupid delicious cereal.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2017
    Red wine Plus portion control with pasta and rice Didn't realise that calories were for them cooked Massive portion distortion! Same with cornflakes, ice cold skimmed milk, my 3 am can't sleep snack
  • SuddenlyLizy
    SuddenlyLizy Posts: 2 Member
    My one go to food has always been pizza. Eating carbs for me to begin with is a big no no; however, pizza is like kryptonite to my weight loss. I'll spend a grueling week eating healthy, working out, drinking more water, and abstaining from desserts. Then by the weekend I'll realize I didn't make enough food to cover the weekend so what do I do? Order pizza of course. I'll promise myself left and right that all I'll eat is this one tiny piece and add a large salad on the side to curb any extra eating. It doesn't matter what I do. By the end of the night that pizza will be gone. I have no sense of will power or control when it comes to pizza.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Cheese - a good sharp cheddar like Tillamook - no brakes. Lays Potato Chips and Heluva Dip - horrors. Tortilla chips and salsa -- eat until I'm sick. Then add cheese to that and oh my.... Nachos!! Just one serving? Have you actually seen what 1 serving of tortilla chips and 1 oz of cheese looks like? Nope - stay away.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Trader Joes dark chocolate peanut butter cups. They are just too delicious and loaded with calories. I haven't had them in over a year, but used to have them all the time.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Coke or Pepsi
  • dimyana21
    dimyana21 Posts: 14 Member
    Chocolate...
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Sweet tea is my Kryptonite.
  • Peanut butter and only peanut butter. I can moderate everything else except that stuff. The whole jar would be gone in 3 days... :lol:
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Fried mozzarella sticks
    Doritos
    potato chips
    cashews
    peanuts
    Indian buffet
    White Castle burgers (but then I regret it).
    Good bread
    And on and on and on. The more I think about it, the more I have trouble putting the brakes on a lot of stuff.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

There are many, many things I won't stock in my house for lack of moderation (although I will eat them when out or buy single servings occasionally): junk food (chips, snack cakes, cookies, candy, ice cream, ...), cheese (except low-fat cottage cheese since it has very high protein per calorie, and I have to pre-portion than out; and the mediocre pre-grated-in-a-canister parmesan/romano), bread, crackers, cereal. I buy fruit snacks (for running/cycling/gym workouts along with a box of electrolyte tablets), but keep them in the car (FYI- Betty Crocker fares better stored in a hot car than Kellogs). Also- wine is a no-go in terms of in-house storage.