Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Eat more meat.

Headline: Historic Discovery Promises to Prevent Miscarriages and Birth Defects Globally
    • One of the greatest discoveries in pregnancy research
    • Vitamin B3 can cure molecular deficiencies which cause miscarriages and birth defects
    • Discovery promises to significantly reduce miscarriages and birth defects
    • Findings expected to change the way pregnant women are cared for

"a recent study found that despite taking vitamin supplements at least a third of pregnant women have low levels of vitamin B3 in their first trimester, which is the critical time in organ development. By the third trimester, vitamin B3 levels were low in 60% of pregnant women. This indicates pregnant women may require more vitamin B3 than is currently available in most vitamin supplements."

Update: Under no circumstances do we want to offer false hope to families who have been affected by miscarriage or birth defects. However, our research provides strong evidence that vitamin B3 has the potential to prevent these terrible outcomes in some cases. The Victor Chang Institute would never suggest that this discovery will explain all causes of miscarriage and birth defects.

It is not known how many cases of miscarriage and birth defects are caused by low levels of NAD. It is also not yet known what dose of vitamin B3 will prevent miscarriage and birth defects. Further research in this important area is underway at the Victor Chang Institute.

Media
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited August 2017
    Repeat. I posted this earlier.
  • AlabasterVerve
    I imagine a lot of people on MFP would like this article:

The Best Fat Loss Article on the Motherfuckin’ Internet
    how-dumb-is-your-768x705.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    :D
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    I imagine a lot of people on MFP would like this article:

The Best Fat Loss Article on the Motherfuckin’ Internet
    how-dumb-is-your-768x705.jpg

This was a really great article if you've got the time to read the whole thing. Also funny, which I totally appreciate.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Dynamics of intrapericardial and extrapericardial fat tissues during long-term, dietary-induced, moderate weight loss

Results: The 18-mo moderate weight loss was similar in both groups, but the reduction in waist circumference was higher in the Mediterranean/low-carbohydrate group than in the low-fat diet group. After 18 mo, the intrapericardial-fat volume had reduced twice as much in the MED/LC group compared with the LF group.

Note: The carb restriction between the two groups was modest, about 10%. (Ludwig)

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited August 2017
    Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study

Interpretation

High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

Source

Fruit, vegetable, and legume intake, and cardiovascular disease and deaths in 18 countries (PURE): a prospective cohort study

Interpretation

Higher fruit, vegetable, and legume consumption was associated with a lower risk of non-cardiovascular, and total mortality. Benefits appear to be maximum for both non-cardiovascular mortality and total mortality at three to four servings per day (equivalent to 375–500 g/day).

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    PURE study links

Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from
    five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study: link

Fruit, vegetable, and legume intake, and cardiovascular disease and deaths in 18 countries (PURE): a prospective
    cohort study: link
  • AlabasterVerve
    Possible explanation why some find it easier to not to eat at all than to stop eating once they start?

149004_web.jpg
    Feeding releases endogenous opioids in humans
    Eating both bland (left panel) and delicious (right panel) meals triggered significant opioid release in the brain.

The opioid system regulates eating and appetite, and we have previously found that its dysfunctions are a hallmark of morbid obesity. The present results suggest that overeating may continuously overstimulate the opioid system, thus directly contributing to development of obesity.

Media
    Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Efficacy of low carbohydrate diet for type 2 diabetes mellitus management: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.

CONCLUSIONS:
    The results suggested a beneficial effect of LCD intervention on glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes. The LCD intervention also had a positive effect on triglycerides and HDL cholesterol concentrations, but without significant effect on long term weight loss.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Guest post by Gary Taubes in response to AHA doubling down on their anti saturated fat message:

Vegetable oils, (Francis) Bacon, Bing Crosby, and the American Heart Association

Correction on the anti saturated fat piece from AHA. Disclosures updated from none to Unilever.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Cochran: Whole grain cereals for cardiovascular disease

Conclusion

There is insufficient evidence from randomised controlled trials to date to recommend consumption of whole grain diets to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, or lower blood cholesterol, or blood pressure.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Article: The Ketogenic Diet’s Impact on Body Fat, Muscle Mass, Strength, and Endurance

Part 1 of a planned 6 part series.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Op-Ed It's getting clearer — the diet-cancer connection points to sugar and carbs

Cantley’s best explanation for the obesity-cancer connection is that both conditions are also linked to elevated levels of the hormone insulin. His research has revealed how insulin drives cells to grow and take up glucose (blood sugar) by activating a series of genes, a pathway that has been implicated in most human cancers.

The problem isn’t the presence of insulin in our blood. We all need insulin to live. But when insulin rises to abnormally high levels and remains elevated (a condition known as insulin resistance, common in obesity), it can promote the growth of tumors directly and indirectly. Too much insulin and many of our tissues are bombarded with more growth signals and more fuel than they would ever see under normal metabolic conditions. And because elevated insulin directs our bodies to store fat, it can also be linked to the various ways the fat tissue itself is thought to contribute to cancer.

Having recognized the risks of excess insulin-signaling, Cantley and other metabolism researchers are following the science to its logical conclusion: The danger may not be simply eating too much, as is commonly thought, but rather eating too much of the specific foods most likely to lead to elevated insulin levels — easily digestible carbohydrates in general, and sugar in particular.

Media
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Blog post by Amy Berger: More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Protein & Gluconeogenesis

Of all the myths and misinformation I wish we could kill, strap to a block of concrete, and push off the side of a boat in very deep, shark-infested waters, the protein = sugar thing is close to the top.

This is a pretty good blog. Read it 3x.

Article: The Ketogenic Diet’s Impact on Body Fat, Muscle Mass, Strength, and Endurance

Part 1 of a planned 6 part series.

Also, big fan of this.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2017

The Masterjohn video is REALLY rustling jimmies across the internet. The pro-keto twitter accounts are in panic meltdown mode!
  • AlabasterVerve
    More on Inuit and ketosis: The paradox of the carnitine palmitoyltransferase type Ia P479L variant in Canadian Aboriginal populations

DNNQhgsU8AASoXv.jpg

Source via Ted Naiman
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I just wish that Masterjohn video was written. My flu addled brain could not make it through all the details. Too dull of a presentation. Interesting ifno though.

I don't think ketosis is needed all the time for most people except those who need ketosis for medical reasons. Otherwise cycling in and out of ketosis seems to make some sense. I think keto'ers may panic because they assume it is all or nothing: keto or SAD, which is not at all true.

Thanks for posting these. Your thread is one of the few I follow in MFP. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited October 2017
    Aww, I'm sorry you're sick! And thank you - glad someone else is interested in this stuff.

I think ketosis is a normal part of the fed/fasted state or lengthy/intense exercise and it's unhealthy to never be in ketosis. From everything I've read and observed constant ketosis isn't a concern (which is good news for me because I'm in ketosis more often than not even though it's not something I strive for) but being metabolically flexible seems like the ideal to me too (which I think the arctic populations support if I'm understanding it correctly).

But if extremes are the only two options - always being in ketosis or never being in ketosis - I think it's probably better to be in ketosis. I'm always open to new theories or science though... even if personally I feel like I have it all figured out. ;)