Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is eating right messing with your mood?

jlynn1991
jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
I've been eating pretty healthily in the 1200-1500 range for a couple of weeks. Working out 20 minutes 5 days a week. Until this week I had stayed clear of chocolate, alcohol and ice cream. I recently bought some of the Kroger knock off version of Halo Top... super dissapointing btw! Halo Top is so much better!

But what I've noticed is that I am so moody lately! I'm doing all this great stuff for my body and health and yet I am so irritable. This has been for the entire month of August!

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Oh yes! I never got moody but I cried a lot. At random *kitten*.
  • jlynn1991
    Ha, its driving me crazy!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    By the way I'll mention...this didn't come from eating healthy exactly, but losing weight did it.
  • jlynn1991
    Thats strange. Youd think once the weight was off youd be ecstatic? Or were these happy tears?!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Make room in your calories for indulgence - do an extra workout, walk to the shops, whatever it takes. Or just buy one of those "Will run for wine" t-shirts :D:D
  • jdbulger1018
    jdbulger1018 Posts: 14 Member
    Overall exercise puts me in a better mood but from the time I finish my workout and drive home from the gym, I'm a total witch. I don't know why!!!!! My daughter and husband are usually with me and they know not to talk to me until we get home. After those 20 minutes I'm in a great mood!!! WEIRDEST THING EVER
  • jdbulger1018
    jdbulger1018 Posts: 14 Member
    Overall exercise puts me in a better mood but from the time I finish my workout and drive home from the gym, I'm a total witch. I don't know why!!!!! My daughter and husband are usually with me and they know not to talk to me until we get home. After those 20 minutes I'm in a great mood!!! WEIRDEST THING EVER

Irritability is a classic symptom of low blood sugar - your liver acts to bring it back up but may not be able to keep up with your workout. Try eating or drinking something with about 15g quick acting carbs immediately after you finish and see if the problem continues.

I will try that! Thank you
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    To the OP, I'd suspect moodiness is more related to calories being too low for your activity level or (in some people) carbs being too low for you, not eating well. I suppose it could also be related to feeling deprived and might think about whether your idea of doing good things for your body is too restrictive.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    What @lemurcat12 said. It might be a physical issue, and playing with what food you eat would help that. Or it might be a mental thing. I know I was pretty grumpy a couple of months in, but it seems to have gotten better (maybe I should ask my wife if it has).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    It might be psychological, but I feel more vulnerable as the weight is coming off. If I engaged in eating to bury my emotions, they seem to be coming un-buried as the weight comes off.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Oh, my goodness. I so remember this from when I first started with a 1200 calorie base--a lovely combination of hangriness, food-panic, and despair. I felt like I had an inner bedraggled cur snarling over a bone, or Golem with his Precious.

The thing that really helped was increasing my exercise level so I could eat more--you get the endorphins, plus you can afford the occasional (or daily!) treat. Once I figured out the right mix of healthy foods and exercise for me, it changed. Over the past 2 years (over a year in maintenance) I have been very positive, even-keeled, and energetic. And I recognize the times when I need to eat a Snickers, and I just eat the dang Snickers--and make my family go on a walk with me instead of being hangry and lashing out at them. :p
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Yeah, you sound hangry. Eat more or at least eat more chocolate.
  • jlynn1991
    That is all good advice! Thank you! I think I was in a better mood when I made room for dark chocolate in my diet every day. Maybe I'll go back to that.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Yep, I've never felt better. I don't have tabboo foods (except for dairy - have an actual allergy to casien), I just eat a lot of healthy foods and have unhealthy foods in moderation. For me, the combination of healthy eating and exercize is a mood booster.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    When I tried low carb, I got super *kitten*y.

As I lost weight, my hormones kinda freaked out and PMS was worse for a while until my body re-regulated.

Lifting heavy weight usually puts me in a great mood.

That's what I've noticed, so far.

I leave about 300 calories every night for chocolate, ice cream or candy. I can't cut them completely out of my diet or I'll freak out and binge on them eventually.
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Have you been hitting all of your micronutrient goals? It can be hard while trying to eat less. Studies have shown a link between micronutrients and mood stability, among other things. Even when cutting calories, it's important to make sure you're getting enough of all of your micros! Most westerners don't get enough omega 3 and a deficiency in that has been directly linked to mood disorders.

On the other side of things, you may be seeing the effects of withdrawing from an emotional addiction. A lot of people turn to junk food to feel good so when you take it away, they struggle emotionally. Keep that in mind!