Dairy Free for Beginners

2»

Replies

• Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    It's super easy, there are alternatives for everything you would normally eat, it's only harder when you eat fast food
  • Calisammy22
    Calisammy22 Posts: 6 Member
    Im not dairy free but i cut back alot due to migraines as well. I simply cut everything in half, then after a month cit that in half. Now i have a sprinkle of cheese on my egg whites daily and maybe some yogurt couple times a week. Baby steps makes a big different added up. But if you are having severe migraines and often, so you cant slowly cut them out, then you might have to be more drastic. I would get head aches weekly and maybe 1 migraine a month. I knoe alot of ppl are worse than myself.
    Hope it helps.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    If you search for accidentally vegan foods you will find that a lot of snacks you may already eat are dairy free. Use vegan blogs and websites for inspiration, you can tweak to add back in anything you don't exclude.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    I am allergic to the casien a1 protien. It sucks! I'll be honest. It's hard. First thing you do, is cook at home and diligently read labels!!! A lot of food is made with dairy products.

Reading labels is absolutely key, a lot of things you wouldn't think are made with dairy products, are.

Next, avoid most carb heavy restaurant foods. Such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Yep. While they might start dairy free, most restaurants add butter to them before they ever hit your table.

The safest snack food is going to be Vegan (not vegetarian), as it is all animal product free, including dairy - which is the sneaky one.

On the plus side, no longer eating cheese is a good way to cut a lot of calories from your nutrition plan. Makes it easier to hit your calorie goals.

Hope this helps.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I am allergic to the casien a1 protien. It sucks! I'll be honest. It's hard. First thing you do, is cook at home and diligently read labels!!! A lot of food is made with dairy products.

Reading labels is absolutely key, a lot of things you wouldn't think are made with dairy products, are.

Next, avoid most carb heavy restaurant foods. Such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Yep. While they might start dairy free, most restaurants add butter to them before they ever hit your table.

The safest snack food is going to be Vegan (not vegetarian), as it is all animal product free, including dairy - which is the sneaky one.

On the plus side, no longer eating cheese is a good way to cut a lot of calories from your nutrition plan. Makes it easier to hit your calorie goals.

Hope this helps.

It really is unfortunate that people with that specific allergy live in the west. There are several breeds of cattle (and goats and sheep) whose milk doesn't contain that specific protein. They just don't produce enough milk to be profitable enough to justify mass production.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Depending on how much dairy your body can tolerate, certain cheeses like feta are a lot less hard on your system than soft cheeses like cheddar etc.. Also I've read that sheep and camel milk are better for people with dairy intolerances. Camel milk is actually the closest milk to human breast milk... Now you know!