Bodybuilding-no, but Powerlifting-yes

I have in the last 6 months gotten into poerlifting- at the ripe old age of 67! Although i haven't lost a great deal of weight, 5/6 lbs. , my body composition has changed a great deal. This has helped my low self-image quite a bit. I didn't start with very heavy weights, as one might expect, and only increased the amount lifted by about 5 lbs. per week. Over 6 months, although a gradual process, has really added up. Anyone who cares to talk about this and/or get info about it, I would be happy to help you. Thanks, Stef-avietvet

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Nothing quite so satisfying as ripping a weight off of the floor, that had your knees shaking and grip slipping just a few weeks prior. Keep at it, and enjoy them strength gains; I find them to be infinitely more satisfying than any aesthetic changes.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    I get what you're saying. I enjoy being stronger than I look. However, the two are not polar opposites. A multi-year program of strength training for powerlifting involves occasional hypertrophy work on primary lifts, especially for off-season training. In addition, hypertrophy is the base method for your supporting exercises year round.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Congrats! What a great feeling to see your own progress. Are you following a program? Also, you should take regular pictures. Even if you aren't working on bodybuilding, it can be fun to see the changes in your physique as you build muscles. You might be surprised!
  • avietvet
    avietvet Posts: 7 Member
    If you haven't read my blog, I'll just reiterate that the powerlifting regional meet in Boise went well. Squat:297 lbs. ; Bench: 275 lbs. ; Dead lift: 336 lbs. Won Gold medal in Masters 3, 105kg weight class. Very happy with these results at my first meet. Yes, CJ, I am following a Starting Strength program. Hope to hear from any of you with like interests or experiences.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    avietvet wrote: »
    If you haven't read my blog, I'll just reiterate that the powerlifting regional meet in Boise went well. Squat:297 lbs. ; Bench: 275 lbs. ; Dead lift: 336 lbs. Won Gold medal in Masters 3, 105kg weight class. Very happy with these results at my first meet. Yes, CJ, I am following a Starting Strength program. Hope to hear from any of you with like interests or experiences.

congrats on great lifts and your win! i'm 50 and Powerlift and i love it. i love being strong and aware of my body and how it works. i don't bodybuild, i'm not interested in lifting for vanity, I'm in it for function. But i do have hypertrophy days worked into my program to enhance my strength, so i do got a little meat on my bones.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Hey! I was at Regionals in Boise! I think I know who you are... ;) Especially with the VietVet clue!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

Hey! I was at Regionals in Boise! I think I know who you are... ;) Especially with the VietVet clue!

Well, now I'm all jealous of not living in Idaho anymore :'(
    Maybe I need to pay a visit to my Mom and plan an extra day next year.
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    avietvet: Congratulations on your gold medal. I saw on the Starting Strength site that they have a book The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 and am wondering if you used that as well or just the programs found in Starting Strength.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    NealNH wrote: »
    avietvet: Congratulations on your gold medal. I saw on the Starting Strength site that they have a book The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 and am wondering if you used that as well or just the programs found in Starting Strength.

Not to jump in but Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and The Barbell Prescription are all amazing books. I recommend them all to people just wanting to learn more on lifting. They really helped me cut thru some of the BS. I still have a bunch to learn but man these 3 books are helping.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Okiludy wrote: »
    NealNH wrote: »

Not to jump in but Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and The Barbell Prescription are all amazing books. I recommend them all to people just wanting to learn more on lifting. They really helped me cut thru some of the BS. I still have a bunch to learn but man these 3 books are helping.

This. Even if you don't follow the program itself, I recommend Starting Strength to literally anyone wanting to start into lifting, and PP for those wanting to learn more about structuring their own templates. There's just so much good information to be had from those.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Masters is one of my favorite sections to watch when at a meet. That and anytime I can see Jen Thompson bench.
    All of my "body building" work is my accessory work. Look at Larry Wheels that dude is ripped and strong AF
  • Gallowmere1984
    timsla wrote: »
    Masters is one of my favorite sections to watch when at a meet. That and anytime I can see Jen Thompson bench.
    All of my "body building" work is my accessory work. Look at Larry Wheels that dude is ripped and strong AF

The M3s at worlds were *kitten* crazy this year. Every time I hear someone whining about getting old, when they're in their 40s, I want to show them that stream.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Saw IPF world bench press champs this year and it was gnarly. Watch a Japanese women bench her age in kilos... 70k at 70
  • Gallowmere1984
    timsla wrote: »
    Saw IPF world bench press champs this year and it was gnarly. Watch a Japanese women bench her age in kilos... 70k at 70

The Japanese in general are just crazy bench technicians. You see a Japanese PL with a low bench, and they're probably just coming back from an injury.