Raw Oatmeal and eating

I been eating raw oatmeal for many years now. More less i put it into yogurt and protein powder, and peanut butter and stir it up, as my breakfast very tasty
sometimes i cook the oatmeal and sometimes not, i dont get any bad reactions from the raw
from all experts out there, is eating the raw oatmeal a bad thing? thanks

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Interesting. There is one crazy PBS show guy that says thing like "all grains have mold". Maybe that is why raw oatmeal is bad?
    I will eat raw grains anyway. I would think you can smell the mold. I think he even said that corn is a micotoxin. I think peanuts too.
    I wish I could remember that micotoxin's guys name.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Back in the day, I would mix raw oatmeal, protein powder, and milk, then eat it like a bowl of cereal. Man that sounds good right about now!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Are sure this is raw? Rolled oats, steel cut oats and instant oatmeal are steamed during processing.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Ohhhh, well, I guess they were steamed. But I didn't cook them out of the box so I thought it was raw.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited August 2017
    @need2exerc1se If I buy pearled barley at a grocery store in a bag, that is somehow steamed or something before, I'm sure. Since I could see how a food could collect mold. I spent summers in a farm, and I remember the feed corn getting moldy if stored too long.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I been eating raw oatmeal for many years now. More less i put it into yogurt and protein powder, and peanut butter and stir it up, as my breakfast very tasty
    sometimes i cook the oatmeal and sometimes not, i dont get any bad reactions from the raw
    from all experts out there, is eating the raw oatmeal a bad thing? thanks

What do you consider to raw oatmeal?.......

@Need2Exerc1se beat me to it.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    tumblr_nw2h7cZ8Xc1ux1kivo1_400.gif
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    You mean uncooked oatmeal? As in straight from the container? I eat it that way sometimes, usually mixed with yogurt. I've never had a problem with it. My grandpa ate uncooked oatmeal sprinkled over his breakfast cereal every morning for breakfast. I don't see it as a problem.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Ohhhh, well, I guess they were steamed. But I didn't cook them out of the box so I thought it was raw.

No big deal. I was just wondering if we were talking about something other than the standard grocery store oats. My kids used to eat those sweetened packets of instant oats 'raw' (straight from the package without liquid or heating) as treats when they were young.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Uncooked oatmeal is high in resistant starch, which is thought to be good for your gut health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-foods-high-in-resistant-starch
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    @lena1967 but.. is the stuff you get at the store really raw/uncooked? Ex: Quacker Oats - that big round tube. Since steaming or heating to kill any mold would not make it raw.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Good point - yes, I'm talking about the kind from the store which has already been processed in some way. You can eat it "raw" like the OP, or apparently, cooking it and cooling it helps resistant starch build up as well.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    I've blended uncooked oatmeal in a smoothie before.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Doesn't muesli have "uncooked" oats in it. Don't think there is anything wrong with eating oats like that.
  • worldtraveller321
    worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
    Thanks and yes I was referring to Quaker oats
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Most rolled oats are steamed and baked
    Some rolled oats are steamed only
    Instant oats are steamed and baked

Steal cut oats are raw but chopped up
    Groats are pure raw oatmeal.

Just letting you guys know
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member
    I've often eaten "raw" rolled oats, like from the big tube from Quaker.

When it is mixed with yogurt and allowed to marinate for a while the yogurt "cooks" it a bit. I've done this for as short as an hour and as long as two days. The longer it sits, the mushier it gets. My perfect time is 8 hours.

I also like mixing raw rolled oats with peanut butter, honey, raisins, a pinch of salt, and nutmeg or cinnamon. MMMMMMMM.

I don't do this very often now that I am weighing peanut butter, however :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    overnight oatmeal is raw, lots of people eat it and have not died.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Rolled oats as we buy them from the shops have been dehydrated to remove enough moisture to preserve them - they aren't mouldy (that's just woo from the anti-grains crowd) they aren't technically raw either as they're heated during processing.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Never knew that about steaming. Makes sense, as Ergotism is a particularly bad infection from fungus.

I've been eating 'raw' oats and rye flakes and other flaked material for years. I would imagine that any grain sold for human consumption would need to be considered 'safe' from toxic substances