Any good legs workout routine?

I dont do cardio. I lift. Im a hard gainer.
I go to gym 2-3 times a week based on my liking.

Can someone give me a good legs workout routine? My butt is getting there but my legs are a bit left out. I do squat. I love doing stiff leg dumbell deadlift. Not a fan of quads. Is it alright if Im not a fan of quads? I dont like to have a big muscle on my side upper knee. I still do quads tho but not much.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    "Can someone give me a good legs workout routine?"

Are you looking for a workout routine for good legs or a good workout routine for legs? ;-)
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    My workouts for legs include:

Squats (Basic and Sumo Squats with kettlebells but I also do barbell squats)
    Seated Leg press
    Leg Extension
    Hamstring Curl
    Hamstring Curl with yoga ball
    Walking lunges
    Step ups with k/b
    S/L deadlifts
    Abductor
    Adductor
    Side lunges

I mix and vary mine quite a lot as I hate leg day. Usually do supersets and giant sets but vary which ones I do.

Hope this helps
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Any good leg routine is going to build your quads...so that could be a problem for you
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't really understand what you are asking. You want to grow your legs but not your quads? I've heard of women who want to grow their glutes but not their legs but not legs with no quads. There's no law against it but I've just never heard of it.

I guess you would just not push to progress as much on quad work and likely not do it as much if you don't want to grow them.

My current program is:

lower day - squat, RDL, walking lunges, leg extensions, standing calf raises
    leg day - barbell glute bridge, barbell hack squat, step ups, leg extensions, leg curls, seated calf raises
    pull day - snatch grip deadlifts (along with other pulls)

(I also do an upper and a push day but those aren't relevant to this discussion.)
  • dheszu
    dheszu Posts: 9 Member
    hi! thank you for all your answer. To clear things out Its not totally NO QUADS that'll be weird. I dont mind having quads. I'm just worried it'll look too big for my liking because Im skinny if I build muscle it'll be visible.

I think I have a good muscle connection with my butt so if I squat the focus still on my butt not legs thats why my legs kinda left out? I dont know Im still learning. sorry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    dheszu wrote: »
    hi! thank you for all your answer. To clear things out Its not totally NO QUADS that'll be weird. I dont mind having quads. I'm just worried it'll look too big for my liking because Im skinny if I build muscle it'll be visible.

I think I have a good muscle connection with my butt so if I squat the focus still on my butt not legs thats why my legs kinda left out? I dont know Im still learning. sorry.

If you're squatting, you're getting more quad activation than glute activation...just the nature of the movement.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

It is quite hard to build so much muscle that you will look weird.. especially in one bulk cycle. I always look at bikini competitors on stage, most of them work legs hard... they have defined quads but typicically they are not huge.

Even doing glute dominant exercises (glute bridges, hip thrusts etc) your legs are still involved, more so with quad dominant ones (squats, leg press).
  • dheszu
    @sardelsa Yes Im trying my best on my bulking journey. I dont follow any program yet. Thats what I mean I dont want my quads to outshine my legs and butt. If i look in the mirror I want to see good legs not good quads.
    My workout routine
    Mon Chest, shoulder and arms
    Wed Back, lower back, glute hamstring
    fri legs

still finding a good routine for legs but Im doing
    Squat & sumo squat w/ barbell & resistance band
    close squat with smith machine
    stiff leg deadlift
    seated leg press
    quad extension
    abductor machine

I will try and explore on that site. Thank you for your help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

Your leg growth will be limited by how much you eat, your genetics, and your programming. If you don't plan to eat at a level that leads to growth, your legs are not going to get too big. Your genetics are going to affect your build too and you're going to notice if your legs are getting bigger--it won't happen overnight. I do not have curvy hips/thighs genetics and building quads does not come easy. (I mean, it doesn't come easy for anybody but I don't see me ever getting to the point where I have trouble fitting my thighs/butt into regular clothing.) I think you should just focus on standard programming (full body or upper/lower, etc.) and not worry about your legs getting too big.
  • dheszu
    Thank you all for enlighten me. If I want my legs to get big I'll stop worrying about my quads.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're squatting, you're getting more quad activation than glute activation...just the nature of the movement.

This.

Deadlifts would give you more hamstring/glute.

If you're going to squat, do low bar...as it utilizes less quad than a high bar in general.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Your #1 best for building your legs would be hi-rep squats - Eastcoast Jim