Amflautist's accountability thread

Replies

• shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    The food network, my nemesis!!! Lol! I don't even watch it anymore. I gained 30lbs watching it in the past. Now I don't watch it at all!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    To save money - I buy the cheap chicken thighs, debone them, use the meat for dinners etc, and use the bones for broth - I can usually find them for like $1/lb so it's very economical

LOL, I usually buy the whole chicken! That will do. Will roast the carcass first.

I'm looking at my new cookbook - On Vegetables - only purchased it because my library doesn't have it. Finding so many inventive ways with vegetables. This pic is what led me to this cookbook:

t00qmq75y4ft.jpg
    Cauliflower in a cast iron pot. Still on my list of todo items. Although I don't have and won't buy those expensive Staub pots.

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    amflautist wrote: »
    To save money - I buy the cheap chicken thighs, debone them, use the meat for dinners etc, and use the bones for broth - I can usually find them for like $1/lb so it's very economical

LOL, I usually buy the whole chicken! That will do. Will roast the carcass first.

I'm looking at my new cookbook - On Vegetables - only purchased it because my library doesn't have it. Finding so many inventive ways with vegetables. This pic is what led me to this cookbook:

t00qmq75y4ft.jpg
    Cauliflower in a cast iron pot. Still on my list of todo items. Although I don't have and won't buy those expensive Staub pots.

HECK NO! 1 solid cast iron that never gets touched by soap and water is my GO TO!!!!

A whole chicken works too! Plus I am a massive fan of organ meats so that way you get all the goodies from the inside too ;)
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Whatever that is in that pot, I'll take some please!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    edited May 2017
    Thank you @brendagaudette

And for you, @foodnetwork, you almost sucked me in. I was watching Iron Chef Gauntlett. Chef Izard made liver ice cream, then she made bleu cheese ice cream covered with a dark chocolate hard crust!!!, on her way to becoming the next iron chef. I opened my computer, went to Amazon, almost clicked on a Purchase_Ice_Cream_Maker button - but then -- be still, my hand. ALL that ice cream has a lot of sugar. My body will SWIM in insulin! Whew, saved by my new knowledge about insulin and fasting and health. WHEW!

Thank you OMAD! What I learned here just saved me from a really bad decision.

I a a self declared food network junkie lmao... I actually find I helps me fast for some reason lol... I think it's some warped way of getting my "food fix" without eating :D:D
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Thank you @brendagaudette

And for you, @foodnetwork, you almost sucked me in. I was watching Iron Chef Gauntlett. Chef Izard made liver ice cream, then she made bleu cheese ice cream covered with a dark chocolate hard crust!!!, on her way to becoming the next iron chef. I opened my computer, went to Amazon, almost clicked on a Purchase_Ice_Cream_Maker button - but then -- be still, my hand. ALL that ice cream has a lot of sugar. My body will SWIM in insulin! Whew, saved by my new knowledge about insulin and fasting and health. WHEW!

Thank you OMAD! What I learned here just saved me from a really bad decision.

That is so wrong (liver ice-cream)! That should be outlawed. YUCK!
  • amflautist
    edited May 2017
    I had an allergic reaction to the crap I had to drink for my colonoscopy. Basically, it's a form of antifreeze. Polyethylene glycol. No one should ever be given that stuff!!! My legs swelled up, I couldn't walk, my stomach ballooned out, etc. Today my daughter gave me an apple cider tonic to drink. Called Fire Cider. Apple cider vinegar, honey, lemons and other things, including jalapenos. Oh man, is that stuff good. When I return home next week, going to order some. Or find a recipe for it.
  • amflautist
    I had an allergic reaction to the crap I had to drink for my colonoscopy. Basically, it's a form of antifreeze. Polyethylene glycol. No one should ever be given that stuff!!! My legs swelled up, I couldn't walk, my stomach ballooned out, etc. Today my daughter gave me an apple cider tonic to drink. Called Fire Cider. Apple cider vinegar, honey, lemons and other things, including jalapenos. Oh man, is that stuff good. When I return home next week, going to order some. Or find a recipe for it.

jdycq1sk0iza.jpg

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    The made me drink sodium sulfate, potassium sulfate, and magnesium sulfate I believe it was. Nasty stuff!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    So sorry to hear about you're horrible allergic reaction. I'm glad you're okay now. The cider vinegar combo sounds awesome, so happy it helped you so much! Cider vinegar is just amazing, whether alone or in combination with other things.
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    May 18 = Last weigh-in for OMAD
    May 28 = Last post here
    August 18 = Today, taking control once again!

Record to date, including today
    Wk .. Weight ... Chg ... Total
    0 .... 195.8
    1 .... 193.8 ..... -2.0 ..... -2.0
    2 .... 191.4 ..... -2.4 ..... -4.4
    3 .... 190.0 ..... -1.4 ..... -5.8
    4 .... 188.2 ..... -1.8 ..... -7.6
    5 .... 192.4 ..... +4.2 ..... -3.4
    6 .... 191.4 ..... -1.0 ..... -4.4
    7 .... 186.6 ..... -4.8 ..... -9.2 (3 days late due to traveling)
    19... 204.2 .... +17.6 ... +8.4
    20... 199.8 ..... -4.4 ..... +4.0

It's embarrassing, but it's also better to just fess up and start again.
    I need a fasting start here. Going for a water/coffee/tea fast.
    This will NOT be easy because I'm in the kitchen every day parboiling veggies and making yummy dishes to use up zucchini, chard, tomatoes, etc from the garden. All to go into the freezer.

Fasting start. Let's see where it takes me. I will be weighing every day and posting here to keep myself accountable on a daily basis for the next 3 weeks.
  • mistymeadows2005
    May 18 = Last weigh-in for OMAD
    May 28 = Last post here
    August 18 = Today, taking control once again!

Record to date, including today
    Wk .. Weight ... Chg ... Total
    0 .... 195.8
    1 .... 193.8 ..... -2.0 ..... -2.0
    2 .... 191.4 ..... -2.4 ..... -4.4
    3 .... 190.0 ..... -1.4 ..... -5.8
    4 .... 188.2 ..... -1.8 ..... -7.6
    5 .... 192.4 ..... +4.2 ..... -3.4
    6 .... 191.4 ..... -1.0 ..... -4.4
    7 .... 186.6 ..... -4.8 ..... -9.2 (3 days late due to traveling)
    20... 199.8 .... +13.2 ... +4.0

It's embarrassing, but it's also better to just fess up and start again.
    I need a fasting start here. Going for a water/coffee/tea fast.
    This will NOT be easy because I'm in the kitchen every day parboiling veggies and making yummy dishes to use up zucchini, chard, tomatoes, etc from the garden. All to go into the freezer.

Fasting start. Let's see where it takes me. I will be weighing every day and posting here to keep myself accountable on a daily basis for the next 3 weeks.

Welcome back! It's all about starting again even when you fall off the wagon - good luck with your fast (BTW How long are you jump-start fasting?) and as always we're here for you :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Glad to have you back and don't be embarrassed, it's called life and sometimes we backslide, but your here now and that's all that matters...Good luck you can do it :)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Welcome back. Not giving up is what counts. You may not get where you want to be the first, or second or third time you try, but it's admirable to keep up the fight.
    You'll get there.
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    Steph, Brenda, Jim,
    (@mistymeadows2005 @Brendalea69 @jvcinv),

Thank you very much for your encouragement! It means a lot to me.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    I'm new here and your 'second coming' is brand new to me. I'm excited to be on the journey with you and all of our helpful friends on here. We'll get it done ((((high five)))) o:)
  • amflautist
    Hi Kat @katjustkat Thank you for the welcome. I'm happy to be on this journey with you. As you say, "We'll get it done ((((high five)))) o:)
  • amflautist
    Fasting Journal
    Last meal Thursday 8/17 7PM
    Weigh in 7AM each morning
    Day ______ Weight ___ Del ___ Total
    0 .... 8/18 ... 199.8
    1 .... 8/19 ... 197.0 ... -2.8

First real test will be this morning. I have to make squash fritters for the freezer. ;)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Nice welcome back to OMAD loss for the week, that's awesome!

Oh, gracious, you'll have to let us know how the squash fritter making went. Hope you made it through relatively unscathed! :-)
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    eri7g2tcrzez.jpg
    DH was going away for the weekend. I was looking forward to 2 days of fasting without smelling any food cooking. But before he left, he went into the garden and picked tomatoes and squash. Look at that pile! 9# of tomatoes, 20# of squash. This doesn't include that squash in the fridge that I prepared for the fritters. Yikes!

Should I accept this challenge, and I had to accept it for the tomatoes because those little orange babies split as soon as they come into the kitchen, I was looking at an all-day job.

1z2thzkuzp7r.jpg
    I gathered my tools, starting with bathroom scale in front of fridge - to constantly remind myself NO snacking, no eating, no snitching a bite.

ky9wgvriij8n.jpg
    As of right now, 1:30pm, the tomato sauce is made and in the freezer.

vosz7ww0627o.jpg
    The pan of roasted tomatoes is still in the oven. Should be ready in 1/2 hour for processing into freezer bags. Then I'll need to go to the store to get supplies for zucchini fritters and zucchini quiche. Yay, the fast is holding!