Just picked a bunch of Swiss chard. Recipe ideas?

Mandosca
Mandosca Posts: 16 Member
I've got a lot of Swiss chard from my garden . Anyone have any ideas for a side dish? Dairy is ok. :-)

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It's good raw or cooked. You can use it in place of spinach in most recipes. It's wilts very quickly like spinach.

The leaves also make good wraps for sandwiches if you want to cut some calories or carbs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    This is in the regular rotation at our house:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/swiss-chard-with-lentils-and-feta-cheese-30566

Super yummy. Or just saute it in olive oil and garlic. The other night I added zucchini noodles and chopped Hungarian wax peppers from my garden and drizzled with Balsamic vinegar. But take note that the stems will take much longer to saute, so I usually remove them and chop them and add them to the pan first.

I have also used it in place of parsley in falafel.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    I l-o-v-e "Barbara Kingsolver Greens." Get a copy of "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and make her recipe. You can follow the complete recipe including the eggs (great for breakfast or for dinner), or leave out the eggs. Rippin' good greens of any sort!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    I use Swiss Chard regularly with eggs. I'll saute some zucchini, mushrooms, maybe onions, and throw the chard in at the end with some pico de gallo. I put all that in a bowl and then cook the eggs separately most of the time.
  • Mandosca
    It's good raw or cooked. You can use it in place of spinach in most recipes. It's wilts very quickly like spinach.

The leaves also make good wraps for sandwiches if you want to cut some calories or carbs.

Oh I like that idea! I think I'll try that tomorrow, Thanks!
  • Mandosca
    I use Swiss Chard regularly with eggs. I'll saute some zucchini, mushrooms, maybe onions, and throw the chard in at the end with some pico de gallo. I put all that in a bowl and then cook the eggs separately most of the time. [/quo

Thats how I have cooked it the last three times I made it.. Yum!
  • Mandosca
    lporter229 wrote: »
    This is in the regular rotation at our house:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/swiss-chard-with-lentils-and-feta-cheese-30566

Super yummy. Or just saute it in olive oil and garlic. The other night I added zucchini noodles and chopped Hungarian wax peppers from my garden and drizzled with Balsamic vinegar. But take note that the stems will take much longer to saute, so I usually remove them and chop them and add them to the pan first.

I have also used it in place of parsley in falafel.

That looks so good, I will definitely be trying that. Thanks!
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2017
    I love steaming it and seasoning with a little butter, salt and pepper to taste. Can eat a whole bowl of it some days.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    I love them in eggs, pasta, or tossed into a bowl of ramen or soup! You can even add it to your Mac and cheese to make it a bit more nutritious! It holds up fairly well to heat, so be adventurous!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    I blanch it, blend it with other blanched leafy greens and then freeze it for my green smoothies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I blanch it, blend it with other blanched leafy greens and then freeze it for my green smoothies.

!!! My mother has mass quantities of swiss chard and kale. Will have to try this. How long does it stay good for in the freezer?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited August 2017
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You could use it like a roll, the way you do cabbage rolls but more delicate. I have this Trader Joe's wild and brown rice mix and I remembered I read a recipe somewhere where they were used in a swiss chard roll. I can't remember the recipe but it involved cutting the leaves in half and trimming, then dipping in boiling water for a few seconds to soften one leaf at a time and placing on a towel to drain then rolling the rice and ground beef mixture (or was it tofu?) like you would a cabbage roll and bake in Italian spiced garlicky tomato sauce. No if only I could remember which book it was in. I've been eyeing the rice mix for a while.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    kshama2001 wrote: »

!!! My mother has mass quantities of swiss chard and kale. Will have to try this. How long does it stay good for in the freezer?

I usually use it up within a month or so, so I don't know how long it would last beyond that?

I wash it/trim bad areas off/*remove stalks *this is especially important for kale

blanch in large pot, in boiling water, for 2 minutes
    immediately put in ice water (mixing bowl with water and heavy ice), let sit for a few minutes
    blend on low pulse, (you might need to add a bit of water to blender)
    set aside and blanch other varieties of leafy greens, (2-3 others), and prep the same, then mix together the greens with mixing spoon

Use silicone baking cups, in a muffin tin, (I got my silicone inserts off of amazon and use them for so many different things!)-fill silicone cups 3/4 way and put muffin tin in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, until they freeze mostly through. Transfer to a freezer gallon bag, I double bag them. Keep in freezer.

For each green smoothie I use 2 of the disks, along with fruit, milk and water :smile: