This is why I don't buy cereal

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I have cereal most mornings, either one or one and a half servings, and it's fine. I prefer a small breakfast and I'm not a big fan of protein-heavy breakfasts. However, it has to be something wholegrain and fairly substantial - those puffed wheat things are like tinder, I'd be starving by 10am.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I'm not a big cereal person. The serving size is crazy and too much sugar. Oatmeal is better and will fill you up if you go based on the serving size.

Oh I do love oatmeal mixed with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. Keeps me satisfied for a few hours.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I love cereal...I literally have like 8 different kinds in my pantry as of now. I only eat it for a snack mixed in with yogurt and pb2. A serving does just fine because I mix it in with yogurt. For breakfast I am a big oatmeal fan, it keeps me fuller longer.
    When I was younger I remember eating two to three full bowls of cereal for breakfast every morning!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    I started using a smaller bowl to trick my brain into thinking there was more in there when I eat an appropriate serving size. I also agree with the others who said that the bowl of cereal needs supplementation with a fruit or protein (like a hard boiled egg) because a serving of cereal isn't meant to be your full meal.

But with all that said, we don't really eat cereal in my house either. I prefer other things.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i love sugar puffs but i like to have quite a few bowls, so not bothering. porridge instead
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I love pretty much all cereals, but unless I'm going to have 3 giant bowls it just not worth it. Lately I've really been craving granola cereal, but every time I read the calorie count I change my mind.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Honestly cereal is so fortified the ratio of calories to nutritive qualities makes it worth having 2+ servings in one sitting. Even having 2 servings at once isn't that many calories IMO. Totally worth it. Cereal forever!
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    edited August 2017
    I use a normal sized cereal bowl with 1 cup almond milk and usually 100g strawberries and find it satisfying enough. Sometimes I will have two servings. I have never enjoyed sugary cereals, even as a kid, so my gotos are corn chex and plain cheerios (real stuff not store brand...one of the few things that I find completely different between the two).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I have really small bowls, and i can easily fit 90g of cheerios or sultana bran in them. I did downsize from my previous bowls where 130g was my go to.

I might have to switch to eating it out of coffee cups! :weary:

That wouldn't work for me, my coffee cup is a soup mug.... Probably bigger than a cereal bowl. I stick to sprinkling cereal and granola on yogurt and fruit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Like most Americans, I was practically raised on breakfast cereal. My wife, poor thing, seems to have had breakfast and dinner cereal growing up. Such was the lot of children in a 2-income family. For each of us, that seems to have been enough. Since marrying young we've just not been that into cereal so much anymore. With sales of the category steadily declining, I'd expect to see the shelf-space devoted to it contract a bit.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I love cereal, but can't stop at a serving, either. I eat a bit of Fiber One with my yogurt everyday, but Id kill for a box of Golden Grahams.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Hell no. I didn't even "eat cereal when I was fat". I was not as informed back then and just thought it would make me fatter.

But yes, it actually does make me fatter because I need like 7 servings to feel satisfied. It's also crack. Especially Cracklin' Oat Bran. Anyone eat that?
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hell no. I didn't even "eat cereal when I was fat". I was not as informed back then and just thought it would make me fatter.

But yes, it actually does make me fatter because I need like 7 servings to feel satisfied. It's also crack. Especially Cracklin' Oat Bran. Anyone eat that?

I haven't seen cracklin oat bran since the 80's. They still make it?
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    I bought cereal for my hubby, and he ate one bowl. It sat so long I made "rice krispie"-like treats for him. He gobbled up the pan in 24 hours. RIP cereal.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Special K and Frosted Shredded Wheat both made seasonal pumpkin spice flavors. My teenage son ate both boxes in one weekend. I only had one serving of each. They were good. I bought a box of Special K Apple Spice and left it at work. I will never leave "my" cereal at home again.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

OMG. That stuff was crack. I used to eat that way back in the way back when I was single. I loved it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Exactly. I don't buy it, why bother if I can't get even close to being satisfied. Rather have a couple eggs or a protein shake.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    I use my food scale for this. I measure out one serving at a time, place them in separate baggies. Works great for nuts and various other snacks. Takes a bit longer, but you know exactly how much you're eating. Also, use smaller bowls.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    kokonani wrote: »

I haven't seen cracklin oat bran since the 80's. They still make it?

I don't know! I haven't seen it but I haven't actively looked for it. It looks so harmless and "healthy" but it's pure crack. *kitten* brilliant.

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Kellogs Bran Buds with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and DaVinci sugarfree Toasted Marshmallow syrup........mmmm Tastes like Lucky Charms !