Camping Meal Ideas

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has good meal/food ideas for camping. I'm not eating bread or refined sugar, but pretty much everything else is a go.
Thanks!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Are you car camping or backcountry backpack camping? Makes a big difference on what you can bring/cook.

In either case, remember that some foods that we normally refrigerate can last quite a while without refrigeration. Eggs, hard cheese, butter, and cured meats would all be fine without refrigeration.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Are you car camping or backcountry backpack camping? Makes a big difference on what you can bring/cook.

In either case, remember that some foods that we normally refrigerate can last quite a while without refrigeration. Eggs, hard cheese, butter, and cured meats would all be fine without refrigeration.
    Thanks Suzy, it's a provincial park, put up a tent kind of camping... but there are still some amenities close by if needed. Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Do you eat crackers? I like toasting them up then having goat cheese and bruschetta as a light but fancy-feeling meal! Also making foil-pack campfire popcorn is fun and tasty (look up a tutorial online). You could also make a filling hash with grated sweet potatoes, onion, red pepper, and eggs all in a pan or skillet. You could also make nachos over the fire. Just assemble like normal (corn chips, cheese, onion, tomato/salsa, jalapenos) and place covered over the fire on the grate until the cheese is melted! Super yummy with guacamole too. If you want more ideas just message me! I go backcountry and car camping all the time and I love to cook on a stove and over the fire! :) I've spent a lot of time researching good camping meals so I'd be happy to share more!
  • TorStar80
    Do you eat crackers? I like toasting them up then having goat cheese and bruschetta as a light but fancy-feeling meal! Also making foil-pack campfire popcorn is fun and tasty (look up a tutorial online). You could also make a filling hash with grated sweet potatoes, onion, red pepper, and eggs all in a pan or skillet. You could also make nachos over the fire. Just assemble like normal (corn chips, cheese, onion, tomato/salsa, jalapenos) and place covered over the fire on the grate until the cheese is melted! Super yummy with guacamole too. If you want more ideas just message me! I go backcountry and car camping all the time and I love to cook on a stove and over the fire! :) I've spent a lot of time researching good camping meals so I'd be happy to share more!

Ok this made me hungry!! These ideas are great, thank you.

• Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    I make and freeze chilli, soup, pasta sauce. It can be heated while camping. Kebobs over the fire with chicken and veggies are good. Beef sausages, wraped in bacon, cooked on a skewer over the fire.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    It depends on if you are roughing it and what tools you have. We bring a skillet and cast iron dutch oven. So, eggs and bacon or sausage is a breakfast must. Always tastes better over a campfire. One of my favorite things in the dutch oven is to cut up potatoes, onions and peppers and cook with smoked turkey sausage. You can have it all cut up before you go. If you have a grate over your fire you can cook anything you would on a grill. If you don't have pots/pans or a grate over your fire, you can do a bunch of things in foil, on a skewer or a pie iron. Fruit and nuts are easy for snacking.
  • TorStar80
    Great ideas everyone. Preparing and cutting beforehand was definitely a must, I'll bring a cast iron skillet next time rather than cooking all over the grate with pans and foil.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    My family camps every 2-3 weeks during the summer. I have a small portable grill so I use that rather than cooking over the fire...cooking over the fire kind of lost it's luster years ago for me. The only thing I do cooking wise with the fire is hot dogs for the kiddos.

Pretty much I bring anything I feel like doing over the grill that weekend. Breakfast is typically scrambled eggs and hash browns and sausages...I don't typically do bacon because I can just throw the sausages on the grill and avoid making a big mess with bacon grease in the camper. Lunches are usually sandwiches and one of the only times I indulge in potato chips and whatnot...

We're heading out Friday for a weekender camping trip...it's definitely cooling down with fall in the air so I'm going to make a pot of chilli before we go for our first evening's meal...it'll work out well too in that we can't leave until later in the afternoon with kiddos in school now so we'll get up there right around dinner time and all I have to do is throw it on the stove to re-heat.
  • BexDun
    BexDun Posts: 133 Member
    I always make a huge pot of chilli or meatballs in tomato sauce to take with and warm up