Super Low/No Carb Diet?

Does anyone have suggestions on what to eat for a super low carb diet? I was told NO grains, bread, or processed foods. But would love some suggestions.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lots of fat and some protein...I'd personally also eat veggies, but I know there are keto adherents who don't think that's particularly important...
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    meat, cheese, eggs, greens, burger, steak, bone in chicken
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    If I may ask, why on Earth would you voluntarily embark on such a diet?
  • PeakLiving17
    PeakLiving17 Posts: 27 Member
    Unless you're allergic or intolerant to those foods there's no reason at all to forgo them. If anything that'll cause more stress via willpower burn out and ultimately binge eating.

You don't need to eat a no carb or low carb diet. All you're required to do for weight loss & health is eat at a caloric deficit with moderately nutritionally dense foods.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I was told NO grains, bread, or processed foods.

Told by whom? Why?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    You won't really ever get to zero carb exactly, but I've been able to get very close by eliminating plants. I do make exceptions for coffee/tea and small amounts of sauces and seasonings. Even if you do not consume those foods, there will be some small amounts of carbs in animal products. To get further towards zero carb, you can eliminate dairy - I already do not use milk, but consume HWC, cheese, and sometimes sour cream. You could get to below 5g of carbs pretty easily when you stick with just meat and fish.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    You won't really ever get to zero carb exactly, but I've been able to get very close by eliminating plants. I do make exceptions for coffee/tea and small amounts of sauces and seasonings. Even if you do not consume those foods, there will be some small amounts of carbs in animal products. To get further towards zero carb, you can eliminate dairy - I already do not use milk, but consume HWC, cheese, and sometimes sour cream. You could get to below 5g of carbs pretty easily when you stick with just meat and fish.

Ok.......why?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

Ok.......why?

1. I lose weight much more quickly at the same calorie level when not eating carbs. This isn't just short-term water weight, but actual fat loss over the course of more than 1 year. Cutting carbs as close as possible to zero maximizes fat loss.
    2. As a type 1 diabetic, my BG's are much simpler to manage without carbs.
    3. As a runner, I've found that I have a lot more energy and can go much further with less fuel now that I am fat adapted.
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Ok.......why?
    Because eating nothing but meat and fat for the rest of your life is, well, fun. :|

I confess that I miss donuts and cookies as much (maybe even more) than the next person; but if I eat 1, then I'll end up eating dozens. This is not good for BG, athletic performance, weight, or general health. For me, it is best to avoid the first bite. So rather than eating steak, baked potatoes, and a beer; I skip the baked potatoes and beer and might opt for a 2nd steak instead (or not... depending on hunger and circumstances). This doesn't bother me at all. In fact, some fast food places even have pretty good meat; but you wouldn't know it when you ruin the good meat with bun and a bunch of sauces and veggies.

I'm hoping that answers your questions as to "why" and your concern about whether it is "fun" so that this thread can get back to OP's question as to "how."
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    I don't know who told you to do that, but I wouldn't do it. I believe you should pick a diet that you can do for the rest of your life. I think you probably still want to have a little bit of everything when you're able to get back to your normal calorie intake. I can't imagine anyone having no carbs for the rest of their life! It's making your life harder than it needs to be. You should be more focused on the amount of calories you take in. You can reduce the percentage of carbs, if you want more proteins and fat. But try to see what foods you would like to be eating when you get into maintenance and do that, just in a deficit of course :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, dairy, nuts, seeds, oils all fit well in a low carb or very low carb diet. Peanut Butter. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Does anyone have suggestions on what to eat for a super low carb diet? I was told NO grains, bread, or processed foods. But would love some suggestions.

How low do you actually want to go in carbs? A low carb diet is considered to be under 100-150g of carbs a day. There are 4 calories in each gram of carbs so that is 400 to 600 calories a day. That could be nearing 50% or your diet.

A very low carb diet is ketogenic. It is usually under 20-50g of carbs a day. Most calories will come from fat, then protein.

There are "zero carb"ers out there. Carnivores. I eat that way on occasion and my health seems to benefit. I do enjoy veggies though so I tend to come back to a ketogenic diet with about 20g of carbs.

Join the Low Carber Daily for more info on LCHF. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There is a carnivore MFP group too if you want to go that low.