Giving up alcohol

I've made the decision to give up - I want to cut the empty calories and bad food choices that a drink leads to, not to mention the hangovers! Has anyone else done this successfully? Any tips to avoid peer pressure or temptation to slip back into old habits?

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    good luck, you're a stronger person than me, I love my Beer, but I have learned to drink a glass of water with each drink, no more than two beers a day.
  • kiyuu2
    kiyuu2 Posts: 2 Member
    When I'm dieting and planning on having a drink, I would always adjust my eating accordingly, so that the calories wasted by the alcohol don't affect my overall calorie intake. In other words, either drink or eat, just don't do it together. When drinking, you should also always opt for clear, high volume drinks, like Vodka or Jager. Avoid sugary drinks like Cocktails or even Wine. I know it's difficult and probably not the healthiest but it works for me.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Only drink wine at special occassions, at Christmas.. or by chinese foods (once in a few months).. limiting to one or two glasses.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    I'd only quit if I had a problem
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Initially, I felt self conscious, but never pressured or even questioned by those who I was out with. I came to realize that as long as everyone is together and having fun, no one is really paying attention to whether I drink alcohol or water. If you feel like you're "slipping back into old habits", try remembering how horrible the hangovers of the past felt.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Always have alchohol and a glass of water before the next alcoholic beverage. That should at least slow you down.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Antabuse. One pill a day and you can't drink at all. It takes a week to get out of your system.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Antabuse. One pill a day and you can't drink at all. It takes a week to get out of your system.

Isn't this a prescription sometimes prescribed to alcoholics?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017

Isn't this a prescription sometimes prescribed to alcoholics?

Hardcore, even, NOT recommended for the vast majority of people. I never took anything when I was quitting (I dislike the idea, although I wouldn't defend this as rational, it's just me), but I know it's increasingly common to prescribe things like naltrexone if someone needs additional help for a short term period of time at first. I know maybe one person who got prescribed antabuse because even naltrexone wasn't working for him (he'd drink on it).

Anyway, doesn't seem likely to be relevant to OP or the thread.